30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
15 pages
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
20 pages
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
you must have ADD if you cannot read 20+ pages of posts.
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 23

jesterspet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: How long is too long for a thread ? Reply with quote

I have noticed that some threads such as this one are just too long.

I try to read about something as much as possible before asking a question, especially if there is a thread on what I am looking for. And I try not to post redundant questions in a topic. However in the case of ATI radeon Sticky & other similarly long threads, reading 30+ pages of postings is just too much to ask someone to do.

If you need to reference something in one of these threads, You either have to give the URL + page number and approximate location in the list on the page (if you can find it), or paraphrase the posting and hope you get the details correct.

:idea: Personally, I think anything over 10 pages should be allowed to have a "duplicate" thread created ( or a split or something) to continue the discussion and keep the readability of the forum reasonable.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you that it is hard to extract the one thing you are looking for from a 10p+ thread, but i dont think that it makes much sense to split them. for many people participating in such a thread, it is sort of a slow chat on a topic and i dont believe that the inconvenience of others justifies the inconvenience a split would be for these people.

i would be better imho to implement a page search for threads with more that 10 pages - so that the search not only gives the thread but also the page as a result. but thinking of the implementation problems and the recent problems with server load, this probably wont happen soon.

another thing i could imagine is a forum-netiquette to encourage people to maintain a summary of the thread in the first posting as soon as it gets too long. this works very good in the documentation, tips and tricks forum.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: