Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
January 26-28th Stage 3 issues (and fixes)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pryoidain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: January 26-28th Stage 3 issues (and fixes) Reply with quote

I recently had to rebuild my system and encountered several errors. I can't pin down exactly what Stage 3 I was using because I had already cleaned up the tarball, but OpenRC is reporting 0.9.8.2 now that I got the system up. It wasn't the most recent stage 3 (which according to my lug.mtu.edu mirror at the time of posting is 01/30), it was the most recent at the end of last week. The LiveCD I'm using is dated 12/28/11.

My Initramfs was hanging at switch_root, and after a bit of digging I found this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-880149-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html

If you're attempting the fix from a livecd environment, do NOT mount /dev as --rbind to your chroot. If you have already mounted it, unmount it with

Code:
umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

from there, if you cd into /dev you will find that it is populated with only a regular file named null as mentioned in the thread.

Follow the fix that Neddy posted, at least for me the problem was in /dev.

My current problem now is getting root to not be mounted as read-only as OpenRC is calling it. Doing some poking around on shutdown I noticed that my LVM partitions are not being mounted, so I'll have to do some prodding as to what the issue is. I'll post back when I find it.
Pryoidain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the read only root problem by copying over all the partitions my initramfs had in it's dev (sda-f and md1-8) over to the root filesystem. Rebooted and it runs!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: