Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
TTY kebindings change in xorg-server-1.11.2-r2 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: TTY kebindings change in xorg-server-1.11.2-r2 ? Reply with quote

Since few days the keybindings to switch between X and ttys have changed on my system. Now when I press Alt-Fx it swicthes to tty x. This used to be Ctrl-Alt-Fx (and this one continues to work). This is a problem because I have Alt-Fx keybindings in fluxbox. So when I press Alt-F1, it indeed obeys the fluxbox action (opening a rxvt terminal) but also switches to tty1.

The only relevant thing that happened recently is the xorg-server-1.11.2-r2 stable update late December. I did not change anything special on my WM or X configuration. The versions of X drivers (xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.0 and xf86-input-evdev-2.6.0) did not change (I recompiled them as usual after xorg-server ABI changes).

A user at Archlinux reports a similar problem with their xorg-server-1.11.2 update. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=128226

Apart from reverting to the former X version, what are the options to recover a normal keybinding behaviour?

Regards,
ecko.
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated my kernel to gentoo-sources-3.2.0-r1 and now I can't change to any ttys. ctrl-alt-Fx does nothing at all. But I now can use my Alt-Fx keybings again in X…
ecko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am running the gentoo-sources-3.2.0-r1 kernel which for some reason shows a faulty behaviour where the Ctrl-Alt-Fx shortcut to ttys are completely disabled under X, while the kernel 3.1.6 showed a faulty behaviour where shortcuts of console mode (Alt+Fx and Penguin key work to switch between ttys) are not trapped by X (so that they now switch to ttys, which prevents using Alt-Fx shortcuts in graphical apps).

I found out the Magic SysRq R allows to switch to the faulty behaviour of kernel 3.1.6. Also, I cannot revert to the faulty behaviour of kernel 3.2.0 until I reboot (although the doc says SysRq R toggles between two modes and therefore should take the system back to default mode after two keypresses).

Still no news of the good old behaviour.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: