Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
I am so confused why apple is making a 7" iPad?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: I am so confused why apple is making a 7" iPad? Reply with quote

Hypocrisy

Quote:
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.


Definition found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy and Here http://www.itproportal.com/2011/12/29/apple-planning-785-inch-mini-ipad-2h-2012/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes total sense.

Female apple users will be able to put it into their panties, while almost male apple users can shove it up their rectum.

They will never have felt better.
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5847
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I am so confused why apple is making a 7" iPad? Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
Hypocrisy

Quote:
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.


Definition found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy and Here http://www.itproportal.com/2011/12/29/apple-planning-785-inch-mini-ipad-2h-2012/
how does apple potentially releasing a 7" pad make them hypocrites.
Samsung have a range of formfactors for their pads ranging for 10" to 7". Basically fielding the market as what is the best size. My wife has a Samsung tab 10.1 and its a decent size but that doesn't make it the right size for all
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1611
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same form factor they arrived at with the MessagePad (12 years ago), after years of people using Newtons and prototypes, and complaining about either the thing being too big to carry around or the screen being too small to browse the web, etc. See MP2000 picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MessagePad
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 18558

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used a 7" tablet, I can't fathom what useful function it would serve until content is designed to fit a 7" screen. General web use certainly isn't it.
_________________
Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1611
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Having used a 7" tablet, I can't fathom what useful function it would serve until content is designed to fit a 7" screen. General web use certainly isn't it.

That kind of depends on the resolution, and how good your eyes are six inches away from the screen. :P
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 18558

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nook Color, presumably decent resolution. And so far, I haven't noticed any increased difficulty with what I've "always been able to see."
_________________
Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I am so confused why apple is making a 7" iPad? Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
ak47gen wrote:
Hypocrisy

Quote:
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.


Definition found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy and Here http://www.itproportal.com/2011/12/29/apple-planning-785-inch-mini-ipad-2h-2012/
how does apple potentially releasing a 7" pad make them hypocrites.
Samsung have a range of formfactors for their pads ranging for 10" to 7". Basically fielding the market as what is the best size. My wife has a Samsung tab 10.1 and its a decent size but that doesn't make it the right size for all


Hypocrisy != Hypocrites

But this was the statement about how the kindle fire will be DOA because its 7" and no 7" tablet will be good coming from Apple/Steve Jobs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make a guess:

Apple now has the technology and manufacturing capabilities to make a smaller iPad with equal or greater resolution than the current iPad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPhone 4s?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1740
Location: Emerald Isles, observing Dublin's docklands

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
iPhone 4s?
that's more like 3.5"...
_________________
"Confident, lazy, cocky, dead." -- Felix Jongleur, Otherland

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5847
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I am so confused why apple is making a 7" iPad? Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
Naib wrote:
ak47gen wrote:
Hypocrisy

Quote:
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.


Definition found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy and Here http://www.itproportal.com/2011/12/29/apple-planning-785-inch-mini-ipad-2h-2012/
how does apple potentially releasing a 7" pad make them hypocrites.
Samsung have a range of formfactors for their pads ranging for 10" to 7". Basically fielding the market as what is the best size. My wife has a Samsung tab 10.1 and its a decent size but that doesn't make it the right size for all


Hypocrisy != Hypocrites

But this was the statement about how the kindle fire will be DOA because its 7" and no 7" tablet will be good coming from Apple/Steve Jobs.

Still doesn't make it a Hypocrisy.
#1 Job's no longer at the helm
#2 businesses are welcome to change their focus as the demand shifts
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 inches is only good for reading books and banging short girls. for everything else, there's 10.1 inches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
7 inches is only good for reading books and banging short girls. for everything else, there's 10.1 inches.


So you're a size queen? :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 24 Dec 2004
Posts: 139
Location: Massachusetts, USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Apple actually confirm this yet or is it still just a rumour? Apple rumours are usually pretty worthless.
_________________
Joe Mulloy | http://twitter.com/jdmulloy | Ron Paul in 2012! | 5-1-07 | Unban Playfool | Fire your "Too big to fail" bank http://moveyourmoney.info
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many fractions of a cubit is an inch again? I can't find a inch/cubit calculator.

edit: nevermind, google does it.

I can see why you'd be outraged at a tablet that is less than 0.4 cubits 8O
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drizek
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jan 2006
Posts: 32
Location: Believe in America

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't.

They might, but as of now, they aren't.
_________________
Stand With Mittens
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1611
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
How many fractions of a cubit is an inch again? I can't find a inch/cubit calculator.

edit: nevermind, google does it.

I can see why you'd be outraged at a tablet that is less than 0.4 cubits 8O

It's not the size that matters, but what you can do with it, and the quality of what spurts out when the shake-weight has finished talking you through your work-out.
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not the size that matters, but what you can do with it, and the quality of what spurts out when the shake-weight has finished talking you through your work-out.


I don't see apple making a girthier model anytime soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1611
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No iPad "Big Jim" Edition?
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1740
Location: Emerald Isles, observing Dublin's docklands

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
No iPad "Big Jim" Edition?
that'd be what microsoft did when they reintroduced their bigass unwieldy xbox1 controller for the xbox360, so obviously apple can't do that now can they?
_________________
"Confident, lazy, cocky, dead." -- Felix Jongleur, Otherland

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbox 360 controller is probably the best controller out their. A least they changed their design. Since PlayStation analog controller came out (PS1) it was the same design since then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Posts: 1740
Location: Emerald Isles, observing Dublin's docklands

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
Xbox 360 controller is probably the best controller out their. A least they changed their design. Since PlayStation analog controller came out (PS1) it was the same design since then.
I fail to see how having changed the design (which they havent, they just made it smaller) would make it superiour in any way than the controller from sony. also, every xbox 360 controller ive tried seemed to be suffering from a pretty large dead zone on the analog sticks, which some games happily recognise as a input when you return the stick to the neutral position. and i do prefer the left thumb stick where the xbox has its dpad.

but hey, its still larger, clunkier and more expensive, so obviously it must be better, right?
_________________
"Confident, lazy, cocky, dead." -- Felix Jongleur, Otherland

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ak47gen
n00b
n00b


Joined: 15 Feb 2007
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but I truly feel the xbox controller are a lot easier to use. The ps3 controller feels like I get arthritis every time I use them. But then again I have fat fingers...

Quote:
but hey, its still larger, clunkier and more expensive, so obviously it must be better, right?


So I assume all the speakers in your house are really crappy then :p
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak47gen wrote:
Xbox 360 controller is probably the best controller out their. A least they changed their design. Since PlayStation analog controller came out (PS1) it was the same design since then.


we nearly had this!

and the d-pad is still far better on the ps3 even now.
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum