State of Gentoo/FBSD?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: State of Gentoo/FBSD? Reply with quote

Hi there,

It is probably the wrong place to ask, but does anybody know the state of gentoo/fbsd? I am mainly interested in amd64, but x86 would also do...

I've been messing with gentoo/fbsd for some time now, but mostly without much success.
Thanks to nigoro's wunderful howto I was able to build and install a gentoo/fbsd amd64 in a VM.

I started using FreeBSD in order to use zfs, but I am not quite happy with their ports system - it just feels inflexible compared to portage. So in essence, I am looking for a way to enhance (or replace) my FreeBSD install with gentoo userland. I realize that there is linux-base-gentoo available on FreeBSD, but only for x86. Does anybody have experience with that? As third alternative, there seems to be a prefix install, but I am not sure, if that fits my needs...

My needs are, one contained OS, preferably with portage as package manager. amd64 is prefered, an the system in mind has 4GB ram (it already runs on FreeBSD amd64), and maybe I get another test system with 4GB (maybe 6GB), where it would be a waste to use x86. And do not propose pae - it is a pita on FreeBSD.
Is this doable? Or how dirty do I need to get my hands to get it working?

V.
Toady
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about FUSE? I must admit I love ZFS and keep thinking seriously about FreeBSD for that reason, I know FUSE isnt exactly complete, but neither is the ZFS in FreeBSD either.

Gentoo Laptop
3.1.10-gentoo-r1, Intel Core 2 Duo (32bit)
Gnome on the desk, Intel in the box, on-board everything, but it all works!
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea, but I wrong direction.

Maybe me mentioning zfs was missleading. zfs is just another reason to switch (or for a long term migration project of that mentioned server), and even with gentoo/fbsd it would be a long way till I have the same level of functionality as I currently have with vanilla FreeBSD, namely complete mit-krb kerberos intergration. This migrations project would be a long shot.
Aside from that, I am mainly interested in the FreeBSD kernel (opposed running a Linux kernel) underneath a gentoo install.

While fuse might be an option, the respective server runs on a intel atom, and has more than enough to do with zfs z-raid and encrypted kerberos. plus I am currently upgrading internally to gigabit ethernet, which might/will put even more stress on the hardware...

In short term, I am interested in setting up a gentoo/fbsd host to mess around with it.
So to rephrase the original question: is there any gentoo/fbsd development going on, and which platform is currently and in the near future the best supported. (N.B. I am only talking about x86 and amd64, and amd64 is my personal favorite).

V.

PPS. I know, i should probably ask this question in IRC...
ideogon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also very interested in getting Gentoo/FreeBSD to run on an AMD64 processor. I am experiencing intermittent crashes on my machine that is currently running Linux, and I believe the cause may be an incompatibility between the Linux kernel and my motherboard. Arch Linux has been my go-to OS over the past couple years, and Gentoo seems philosophically similar enough that I think I would be happy using its portage and userland utilities. However, since I want to see if I can get a different FOSS kernel to run on my machine, I think my best alternative is FreeBSD. Unfortunately, I remember package management being onerous last time I went the FreeBSD route (circa v7.0).

The Gentoo/FreeBSD page seems to be rather out-of-date, speaking of FreeBSD 7 ("Page updated April 6, 2010"), and the linked installation instructions contains a disclaimer that the document is "not valid" and "not maintained anymore". Are there any developers still working on this idea? Are there any other resources I can look into?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: