Gnome badly broken - gnome apps cannot open any files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmbroom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Gnome badly broken - gnome apps cannot open any files Reply with quote

After updating my Gnome to 2.32.1 (or not, depending on the specific app), none of my gnome-apps appear to be able to open any files.

If I try to start Gnome, I get a blank screen with just blank icons for the files.

If I run base X, I can run twm, xterm, etc. just fine.

If I try to run, for example, gnome-terminal, I get errors like this:

Code:
(gnome-terminal:15792): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed

(gnome-terminal:15792): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'image-missing' for stock: Failed to load icon

(gnome-terminal:15792): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gnome-terminal:15792): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_default_render_icon: assertion `base_pixbuf != NULL' failed

(gnome-terminal:15792): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_style_render_icon: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(gnome-terminal:15792): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gnome-terminal:15792): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

gnome-terminal will then run, but without any icons. gnome-panel gives similar errors, then exits.

Any suggestions where to look? I've tried reinstalling a few gnome apps and libraries, but no luck. I cannot find any helpful info on the web, despite searching.
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First I would try to log in as a different user and see if the problem persists. Try root, or a brand new user. If the problem does not occur for a different user, then you have some "stale" .configuration folders, remove them, and Gnome will re-create them. You will loose custom settings.
If the problem persists, try revdep-rebuild.

You can try revdep-rebuild first, then try to see if Gnome works for a different local user.
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try rebuilding gtk+ and glib if revdep-rebuild does not find any broken dependencies.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: