KDE 4.7.3: Global keyboard shortcuts not always working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.7.3: Global keyboard shortcuts not always working Reply with quote

HI!

Since updating to KDE 4.7.3, global keyboard shortcuts (like ALT-TAB or ALT-F2) only sometimes work. Most of the time nothing happens.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thomas
dexterke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 4.7.3: Global keyboard shortcuts not always working Reply with quote

sidamos wrote:
HI!

Since updating to KDE 4.7.3, global keyboard shortcuts (like ALT-TAB or ALT-F2) only sometimes work. Most of the time nothing happens.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thomas

Same here.
The most annoying seems to me, the "ALT+TAB" combination, for some reason, instead of switching tasks, the "run command" dialog shows up (sometimes), or sometimes it just does not switch between tasks.
Regardless of desktop effects being enabled or disabled, compositing type "OpenGL" or "XRender", ALT-TAB only sometimes work, ALT+F2 (run command) only sometimes work, and so on.
I don`t know if this is a bug, or just a setup/configuration issue, but it is annoying.

Kde version: kde-base/kde-meta-4.7.3
Graphics driver: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-275.09.07
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am seeing exactly the same behavior.

x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-285.05.09-r1
dexterke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Not a bug ! Reply with quote

I think I found out what the problem is. Current KDE Version does not support DUAL HEAD configuration.
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Dual_Monitors/KDE

KDE Session Manager tries to manage all possible screens that are currently running
So, when I press "ALT+TAB" the task switcher shows up on my secondary display.
"disableMultihead=true" in ~.kde4/share/config/kcmdisplayrc does not solve the problem. It is possible to disable kde session on the secondary display, but still, "ALT+TAB" and so combinations do not work.

I`m a Gentoo user since 2006. From 2007 until now I used KDE 3.5.
I never liked KDE 4.*, but i thought it may worth a try.
I really could use a good looking, fully functional, fully integrated, graphical interface.
sidamos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right! I also have 2 monitors, so I am displaying MythTV frontend on a second X screen (800x600) on my TV. I am NOT using nVidia TwinView (span one X screen across multiple monitors). Instead, I have 2 "Device" and 2 "Screen" sections in xorg.conf.

I can see the KDE desktop wallpaper always on my TV before MythTV starts.

After I read your post, I checked again the TV. When ALT-TAB does not work (most of the time), I can see the switcher appear on the TV!

When I add the config option in kcmdisplayrc, the KDE desktop wallpaper on the TV does not appear anymore. But then I have a 800x600 desktop overlaying my normal desktop! I don't know why KDE does this...

Anyway, even after changing the setting, the switcher still appears on the TV!

Regarding KDE4, I have the same feelings as you...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: