Gentoo 10.1 or Gentoo 2011 Beta ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fresh User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Gentoo 10.1 or Gentoo 2011 Beta ? Reply with quote

Is the Gentoo 2011 Beta well baked enough or would you recommend a noob to go with the 10.1 first?
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultimately it's not going to make a difference honestly

you can use whatever installation CD you like to install gentoo. I use sysrescuecd, some use ubuntu livecd's, some use the minimal .iso or livedvd. Whatever medium you choose, you're still going through the handbook, still grabbing the latest stage3 tarball, still grabbing the latest portage snapshot, etc.

The only decision you'll really be making inasmuch as deciding if something is "well-baked" enough, will be if you decide to go with stable keywording, or go with ~arch (or selectively unkeyword packages, so something in between)

The bigger point I suppose, or broader one rather, once you get gentoo actually installed on-disk, the idea of "versions" pretty well ends; you have your base system, and whatever other packages you choose to install, be they ~arch or so-called "stable"
Fresh User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the installation itself is not really a problem

I go into the control panel of my ISP and select the version I want for the server, and it does it automatically.

However after that I need to add on it:
LAMP,
Webmin,
MySQL server,
Mail server,
DNS server...

so I was wondering if all these other services are working easily on the new version of Gentoo.

but I guess I'll try the new version and if it doesnt work I'll go back to the previous.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah right. ive seen that with one of the VPS hosts we use at work (100TB I think?)

so, thing is, after you do their "pre-canned" install, youll more than likely end up gutting it to shreds anyway after
as well, whatever they call "2011 beta" has no significance in gentoo land. It's likely just their "beta" image of gentoo from the year 2011, so to that end i dont know that anyone here would know (as well, there is no "Gentoo LAMP" or "Gentoo DNS" or anything of the sort, as youll notice; those are your provider's nomenclature, not gentoo's)

if youre more or less comfy with gentoo adminsitration, working your way around portage, etc, you should honestly be safe going with their '2011 beta' image. It's probably just a newer version of portage, newer kernel, openrc/baselayout-2 instead of baselayout-1, and a few other things (that youd likely end up pulling in anyway if you were to do a comprehensive system update)

the less ancient you start with gentoo, in general, the less pain in doing sweeping large updates.

HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: