curlftpfs seems to ignore ~/.netrc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: curlftpfs seems to ignore ~/.netrc Reply with quote

I have setup my /etc/fstab to make an FTP share available via mount:

Code:
curlftpfs#backup.example.com /backup fuse rw,user,noauto 0 0

I also setup /root/.netrc and /home/user/.netrc with the credentials for the FTP login. Now
Code:
$ mount /backup
works fine as root, but as normal user, I get this:

Code:
$ mount /backup
Error connecting to ftp: Access denied: 530

The interesting thing is that mounting the share as a normal user works like this:
Code:
$ curlftpfs backup.example.com /backup

The credentials are correctly read from ~/.netrc which makes me conclude that somehow that ~/.netrc is ignored when using "mount" as opposed to curlftpfs directly.

What could be the reason?
ronino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: curlftpfs seems to ignore ~/.netrc Reply with quote

ronino wrote:
The credentials are correctly read from ~/.netrc which makes me conclude that somehow that ~/.netrc is ignored when using "mount" as opposed to curlftpfs directly.

I found out that using "mount" as normal user tries to read /root/.netrc instead of ~/.netrc. As /root/.netrc is not accessible for anyone but root, curlftpfs cannot read it and thus the FTP connection fails. A quick fix would be to make /root/.netrc readable for my user, but this is not really what I want.

http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/ states:
Quote:
You can put the user and password in a .netrc file in the home directory of the user that executes CurlFtpFS.

As /bin/mount has the SUID bit set, I thought removing the bit could fix the problem, but obviously it doesn't.

Is there a way to make mount use my instead of root's home directory?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: