[solved] unable to rsync [`emerge --sync']
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: [solved] unable to rsync [`emerge --sync'] Reply with quote

I'm just having trouble to rsync since a day or two. No idea how this happend, maybe it was after a hard reboot forced by ALSA.

[RANT]Sigh, I'm sic of ALSA, no wonder I don't use that often. I'm the only one who's having kernel panics (with 2.6 or 3.x) with ALSA whenever I try to restart alsasound service or something? I don't have much but a CMI8788 card with HDA-Intel resulting to dozens of modules being loaded. Manually, I can resolve the module dependencies and remove all the headache in 5 minutes! No less! No wonder alsasound service just fails to stop despite ssuominen great job with the that init service script... but the kernel panics are too much.[/RANT]

This is what I'm having since a few days, I tried first changing `SYNC="rsync://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/gentoo/"' to various/near servers in make.conf to no avail because the issue seems to be related to portage handling rsync than failures to connect to rsync servers.
Code:
# eix-sync                                                                                                   
 * Running emerge --sync
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://194.47.250.18/pub/gentoo/...
>>> Checking server timestamp ...
receiving incremental file list
rsync: change_dir "/gentoo/metadata" (in pub) failed: No such file or directory (2)

Number of files: 0
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 0 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 3
Total bytes sent: 47
Total bytes received: 8

sent 47 bytes  received 8 bytes  36.67 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1518) [Receiver=3.0.9]
>>> Retrying...
!!! Exhausted addresses for ftp.df.lth.se
 * emerge --sync failed
 * Time statistics:
     1 seconds for syncing
     2 seconds total

Any input is welcomed.

EDIT: I've also tried to remove the `gentoo/' or the `pub/gentoo' with that error message but the symptoms are worse in these cases.

Last edited by tclover on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
golagoda
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most portage mirrors it's /gentoo-portage/ not /gentoo/, so you might want to try that.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

golagoda wrote:
On most portage mirrors it's /gentoo-portage/ not /gentoo/, so you might want to try that.

You might be right. I've just got that link from www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors2.xml. Anyway, I've put your suggestion into play to no avail or rather for this: `rsync: change_dir "/gentoo-portage/metadata" (in pub) failed: No such file or directory (2)'.
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your are confusing gentoo mirrors (for distfiles, sources) and rsync mirrors for portage (ebuilds)

reset it to SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage", and sync should work again.
alternatively you can also set it to your country (assuming sweden): SYNC="rsync://rsync.se.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage".

the other option is GENTOO_MIRRORS, which can be filled with the mirrors found at http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors2.xml
e.g GENTOO_MIRRORS="rsync://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.ds.karen.hj.se/gentoo/ http://ftp.ing.umu.se/linux/gentoo/"

V.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veldrin wrote:
your are confusing gentoo mirrors (for distfiles, sources) and rsync mirrors for portage (ebuilds)

I'm not. Just used this `SYNC="rsync://rsync2.at.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"' rsync mirrors for a while now, and just failed to connect to it. So, I've looked to the mirrors list and picked a rsync mirrors. That's all. I've just changed `at' for `se' and it works again. Thanks!
vtor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you too. I reset the line SYNC in /etc/make.conf and work again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: