Wine Eve Online Client and ATI radeon open source driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Wine Eve Online Client and ATI radeon open source driver Reply with quote

Hi,

before I spend another 5-10 hours :)

Can anyone successfully run the Eve Online Tranquility client on the radeon open source driver?
I can see the splash screen, but it appears the menus and login is squeezed in 5mm on the top of the screen and I cannot login. Music is playing fine.

p.s. I tried everything I could find about it. Currently everything is on bleeding edge after all the testing (libdrm, mesa, xf86-video-ati).

//edit: so EVE Online and radeon driver is a no go, I tried every possible combination, playonlinux, crossover and it's always the same. The best I get with the bleeding edge xf86-video-ati, mesa, libdrm and wine-1.3.1 is fine menus but all 3D is not visible: http://omploader.org/vNWdwbA
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would like to say congratz on getting all the crazy unstable stuff working together...i just usually stick with ~amd64 but u did the even more difficult way.....i too have a ati embedded graphics card in my laptop...any gaming is a no-go....because catalyst is complete garbage....and open source driver at least 1-2years out from having good stable 3daccel in that driver....

pretty much besides catalyst beating radeon driver in 3daccel it is crap with everything else (ie. 2d accel, power management, xorg-server support)...i would say stick with that....and just wait for a 3d acceleration driver portion for radeon driver...i am pretty sure if u chat with some of the dev guys in irc they will be more than happy to have u get a alpha release and see if u cannot use that....and help them test the driver...

right now i believe the xorg-server for catalyst is at least still back at 1.6-1.7 support which is like 6months behind... nvidia is alot closer with i would suspect around 2-3month behind the unstable release of xorg-server....i would say nvidia proprietary driver supports one version back...so the xorg-server 1.8...and adding support i think on their beta driver for xorg 1.9 support...

soo it pays to go nvidia on laptops or for at least graphics cards...ati/amd is such crap on linux...not even funny...at least nvidia/intel has been keeping some upkeep with linux os which has an ever growing userbase...
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly my experience as well.

I use the radeon driver ever since it got released and followed all the progress. Between last year not able to render 2d images properly to a complete composite desktop with everything working well.

Tuxracer runs very well on the radeon driver as a native Linux app. Seems only wine has a problem with radeon and 3D.

I found one bug report on wine, where the devs complain about the code of AMD that this causes the problem. Unfortunately there is no solution on those problems... the wine code and AMD code doesn't like each other.
adramalech707
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really i would say if amd would make catalyst completely open source i would say within 6months the radeon would merge with the catalyst driver (merge not code but ideas thus making a totally new and better driver) making the flaws of the proprietary driver non-existent making catalyst maybe even better than say nvidia proprietary...

then of course adding that to the kernel...making it the easiest driver to have on linux...:lol:
jw5801
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... this doesn't sound promising. Just trying to get Eve running now with radeon. Seeing the same bug with either a black screen or all the menus squished in the top 5mm.

Did you have any luck getting it operational or should I be going out and buying an nvidia graphics card?
supernovae
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: Try with the latest git versions now. They have just added S3TS to the r600 gallium driver while should make those textures visible. :)
Zentoo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juste pour ajouter que je suis en ~amd64 avec une nvidia GTX460 et que je fais tourner Eve parfaitement sous wine 3.30.

La seule chose c'est que j'ai du mettre des CFLAGS "compatibles" sinon ce ne se lancait pas:
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=i686"
au lien de l'utilisation de -march=native.

Juste au cas où...
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two problems:
1. Wine is 32-bit, so if you run a 64-bit system, Wine uses mesa from emul-linux-x86-opengl
2. You need s3tc support as was already noted, from libtxc_dxtn
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: