View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lil_liminal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: [IGNORE]Gnome problems Reply with quote

Most problems were solved by additional searches, although still have yet to connect to net and get gnome working, but should be able to soon.

Hey Folks,

Have a few minor problems with gnome and also my wifi adaptor

First, I installed X11 and startx was working, it just booted into 3 terminal windows which I suppose is what X11 with out a windows manager looks like.
I tried installed gnome, but had a few problems
the following command doesn't work

sed -i 'li\export XDG_MENU_PREFIX=GNOME-' ~/.xinitrc
gives the error
sed: -e expression #1, char 2: extra characters after command

never mind just manually added it with nano

secondly I changed from nouveau to nvidia and startx before gnome worked fine with nvidia, but not with nouveau
However despite no longer loading the nouveau module in my config file i still get the error at boot up and when I run startx
that module nouveau was not found.

Additionally, I do no have an xorg.config or an config.d/ monitors directory or file

got this by running nvidia-config
additionally was loading nouveau module just had nividia in my config file.

Gnome still doesn't work, but all X11 errors have been accounted for, it's just that
I don't have gnome set up right yet.
trying to find the module for my pci set.

One final addition, I am using a d-link usb wifi adapator
dwa-125
iwconfig does not find a wlan0
any idea why it doesn't see the device?
dbus is already running if that helps.

enabled rt2800usb via --menuconfig and also emerged the firmware updates for the drivers.
now recognizes wifi, but having trouble getting around my apartment's web based login service in the command line.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Because I do not have internet from my installation, I have been using systemrescue cd and chroot to emerge all the files I need, however with gnome I got an error with an the env-update, however when i ran the same command
from my installation, did not get it.
inject
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
enabled rt2800usb via --menuconfig and also emerged the firmware updates for the drivers.
now recognizes wifi, but having trouble getting around my apartment's web based login service in the command line.

is it open type of connection where anyone can have access to it and see the login screen or is there a WEP, WPA/2 or other security that the apartment is using?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: