How do I make proper udisks setting in /etc/polkit-1?[S + W]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: How do I make proper udisks setting in /etc/polkit-1?[S + W] Reply with quote

[S + W] == [Solved + Workaround] (in the thread title. Had no space left to write it fully)

I have the following problem which I have hacked around till now by editing /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy. I have a script udev_data which is hooked up to udev via a rules.d file:
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/udev_data"
SUBSYSTEM=="block", ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="mmc", ENV{ID_FS_USAGE}=="filesystem", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/udev_data"
The aim of the script udev_data is to prompt me with a graphical dialog whenever a usb device is plugged in and only on confirmation, it mounts the drive. To make this possible, I have the following file in /etc/polkit-1 which is supposed to override the /usr/share/polkit-1 file (it does override when I am logged in and run udisks --mount from a terminal)
Code:
~> cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority//50-local.d/99-udisks-mount.pkla
# Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.*
[Allow to mount and unmount disks]
Identity=unix-group:wheel
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount,org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

I can mount using udisks from command line but not from udev_data. A simple version of udev_data is given below and it shows what is wrong:
Code:
#!/bin/bash -x
exec &>> /tmp/udev.log
X_USER="username"
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export X_USER=$X_USER
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export BROWSER="/usr/local/bin/firox"
export PATH="/usr/local/bin:${PATH}"

#exec su $X_USER -c "ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session udisks --mount $DEVNAME" &
exec su $X_USER -c "udisks --mount $DEVNAME" &
exit 0
It doesn't matter which of the "exec su" lines I run; the result is the same: "Mount failed: Not Authorized".

The workaround I currently have is to edit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy and change allow_any and allow_inactive to yes:
Code:
  <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount">
    <description>Mount a device</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to mount the device</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>yes</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

Obviously, this is not how it should be done, and so I ask the *kit gurus: what is the proper way to do this? According to pklocalauthority( 8 ) manpage, files in /etc/polkit-1 should override the files defined elsewhere. Why is this not taking effect?

NB: All the 100s of scripts designed to automount disks as soon as they are plugged in is not what I want. What I want is graphical prompts to the user, and the external drives mounted as the user.

Last edited by ppurka on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at 'sys-fs/bashmount'

And as for running as another user, you want `pkexec` instead of `su`

man pkexec
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ssuominen,
pkexec has helped. It, however, seems to behave weirdly if I insert vfat drives. I had to modify my mount options from "--mount-options uid=500" to "--mount-options umask=0000". If I don't do that, then I get into the error I describe below. On the other hand, "uid=500" works nicely from terminal, so I don't even know why it behaves differently with pkexec.

Thanks.

[Still keeping the following text, although I have found a nasty workaround]

Thanks pkexec has helped to some extent. Now, I can mount some (ext2) drives. The following problem still remains:

I can not mount a vfat drive as user (using --mount-options uid=500). It works from the terminal, but doesn't work from the script. I get the following error:
Mount failed: Mount option uid=500 is not allowed
If I do not provide that option, then the result is that the drive is mounted as root/root and I am unable to browse its contents.

I have created /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.policykit.udev_data.policy:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd">
<policyconfig>

<vendor>Examples for the PolicyKit Project</vendor>
  <vendor_url>http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/</vendor_url>

<action id="org.freedesktop.policykit.udev_data">
    <description>Run the PolicyKit example program Frobnicate</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to run the PolicyKit example program Frobnicate (user=$(user), program=$(program), command_line=$(command_line))</message>
    <icon_name>audio-x-generic</icon_name>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>yes</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/udisks</annotate>
  </action>

</policyconfig>

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: