Customizing "awesome" window manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Customizing "awesome" window manager Reply with quote

I began moving to x11-wm/awesome recently. I have it running sort-of satisfactorily, but not really. Right now I have a stock configuration, have copied rc.lua into my .config/awesome to begin customization. Right now the only thing I've done is add a title bar.

I've looked at some of the other customizations I've found out there, but it seems that all of them require some other awesome-related package in order to work. So far I haven't found other awesome-related stuff in portage, so I haven't been able to do much. Unfortunately "awesome" is such a badly overused word in today's vernacular that it's practically useless as a search term. I kind of with they're rename it, simply to make searches easier.

To begin, I'd like to pick up the XDG menu system somewhere. I've tried twice, and both tweaks require add-ons. Maybe it's in portage, but I haven't found them. Second, I'd like some way to change window size using the mouse. If life were perfect, I'd get window frames that expand on mouse-over, so they're easier to grab. (Right now in Gnome it's a royal pain to try and change a window size, only to have it disappear behind something else, because the grab-zone is so small.) Second best would simply be some sort of window frames at all. Third best would be windowmaker-style grabs. I'd settle for a button on the title-bar.

Pro-WIMP rant... I know bind-keys have become all the rage these days, but the fact is that some of us don't "live in emacs" or live in any other single piece of software. During the course of a single day or week, I use so many pieces of software that keeping track of bind-keys for all of them would be a real pain. What's worse is that a substantial part of my job is supporting others. They have their own bind-key definitions for the same tools that I use, also. I sometimes have to sit down at their systems and drive their tools. For my purposes WIMP is it, because it's the least-common-denominator that works at anyone's system, on any tool. If I sat down at someone else's desk with my bind-key-trained fingers, I might do some damage before going off auto-pilot and back to WIMP.

I know that there are awesome users out there in Gentoo-land. Can some of you give me a few pointers?

EDIT:
I just found the Gentoo Wiki entry. I'm adding the "akoya" overlay and will see where that gets me. I'm still after pointers and suggestions.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Customizing "awesome" window manager Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
I'd like some way to change window size using the mouse.

I think it's part of the default config: modkey + right mouse button can be used to resize windows.

I'm not sure about the other stuff but this is a good place to start when looking for customisations:

http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Main_Page#Customization
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing more references to that, now. Having a starting point helps.

Now I just have to get past the fact that I've got ld-style antiquated clicky keyboards that have no Mod4 key, no Windows keys at all, just the ancient PS/2 standard. This might be a good use for the CapsLock key. It might be even better if it disables the standard function for it, too. People have been SAYING FOR A LONG TIME NOW THAT cAPSlOCK SHOULD DIE!
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So next question...

I'm looking for the XDG_menu stuff. I see one sample config that has "require('freedesktop.utils')", and numerous other "require" statements. Frequently I see "beautiful", "delightful", "naughty", etc. I can see from my sample rc.lua that apparently awful, beautiful, and naughty are built-in. I've now installed wicked, but haven't started to use it yet. I copied a snippet from someone else's rc.lua for XDG_menu, but had to comment it. It requires freedesktop-utils, freedesktop.menu, and freedesktop.desktop.

How do I map "require" to some sort of portage package. Is there something in portage (or overlays) to give me this stuff? I just thought to check dev-lua and there doesn't appear to be anything relevant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: