Cross Compile onto Beagleboard problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abeowitz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Cross Compile onto Beagleboard problems Reply with quote

Having trouble cross compiling to Beagleboard.

I've successfully setup the crossdev environment, as described in the gentoo embedded guide, and can emerge/compile most of 'system'.

However, there are a few packages that fail. None of the Googled hits have given me a practical or successful workaround for these cross-compile problems.

Here are the packages and error messages:

Quote:
sys-apps/coreutils-8.14 for /usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/

checking whether fstatat (..., 0) works... configure: error: in `/usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-8.14/work/coreutils-8.14':
configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling
See `config.log' for more details

sys-apps/util-linux-2.20.1 for /usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/

checking needed scanf type modifiers... configure: error: in `/usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/tmp/portage/sys-apps/util-linux-2.20.1/work/util-linux-2.20.1':
configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling

sys-apps/groff-1.21-r1 for /usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/

checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in `/usr/armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/tmp/portage/sys-apps/groff-1.21-r1/work/groff-1.21/src/libs/gnulib':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details

Also, would it be possible or a problem to drop an armv7a stage3 in /usr/armv7-softfloat-linux-gnueabi? Would it overwrite existing files and screw things up?

I was able to get the Beagleboard to boot a stage 3 with an Angstrom kernel, but my BB only has 256M of RAM and cannot compile larger packages.

Thanks...
manaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

with stable ebuilds of sys-apps/coreutils and sys-apps/util-linux compiles fine.

Also with sys-apps/groff-1.20.1-r3 instead of sys-apps/groff-1.21 it should work.
abeowitz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! :)

I was hoping to experiment with the new gcc though.

BTW, it is possible to extract a recent ARM stage3 within the new cross-compile environment and build on that. I was able to create a full Beagleboard bootable image from the stable stage3 and then 'upgrade' to ~arm on most packages.

It got a bit confusing trying to sync the bootable image with the /usr/arm-* environment though. Things like make.profile and make.conf needed some munging.
wim-x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abeowitz wrote:
BTW, it is possible to extract a recent ARM stage3 within the new cross-compile environment and build on that. I was able to create a full Beagleboard bootable image from the stable stage3 and then 'upgrade' to ~arm on most packages.

How did you achieve this?
wim-x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manaru wrote:
with stable ebuilds of sys-apps/coreutils and sys-apps/util-linux compiles fine.

Also, why are the cross emerges emerging unstable packages? How do I force stable for all?

Updated:
Apparently exporting ACCEPT_KEYWORDS before cross emerging doesn't work. The ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for the cross emerge are set in /usr/<crossbuild target>/etc/portage/make.conf.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: