dhcpcd fetches connection from WinMe, but not WinXP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartszyszka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: dhcpcd fetches connection from WinMe, but not WinXP Reply with quote

Hi, this problem could possibly be on WinXP's end, but I'm hoping there are some things with the dhcpcd command that I can try first.

I have one computer setup to dual-boot WinMe and WinXP and that is serving as a host for an Internet connection. It has two network cards, one that gets cable Internet access and another that's connected to my laptop with Gentoo Linux installed on it. Both WinMe and WinXP on the host computer have been setup to share a connection with this laptop. I used to have Windows on the laptop and the Internet connection with that worked without a problem.

Now my problem is that if WinMe is running on the host computer and I reboot Gentoo, dhcpcd can get an Internet connection without a problem. If WinXP is running on the host computer and I reboot Gentoo, it can't get an Internet connection. Gentoo is setup with pcmcia-cs (network stuff not compiled into kernel, pcmcia_core/i82365/ds loading at boottime with pcmcia added with rc-update) and when it's butting it freezes with cardmgr saying something about 'watching 2 sockets'.

There's also another catch to this. If I'm running Gentoo and I got the connection from WinMe and then reboot to WinXP, Gentoo's connection obviously is cut off while the host computer is rebooting, but when WinXP starts, Gentoo *does* get a connection from it. It's only while Gentoo is initializing all the pcmcia stuff and trying to get a connection for the first time from WinXP that there's a problem.

In WinMe, I do actually have a BlackICE firewall running and that doesn't seem to be stopping Gentoo from getting a connection from it. WinXP has BlackICE too (I disabled XP's own firewall stuff...), but even when I turn off BlackICE (and killing anything remotely resembling it with Ctrl+Alt+Del), it doesn't make a difference. Gentoo just hangs at 'watching 2 sockets' for a long while (but does eventually boot without a connection). In both WinMe's and WinXP's setup of BlackICE, the IP address for my laptop (which is always 192.168.0.2 on the network) is setup to be a trusted IP address and while Gentoo is at 'watching 2 sockets', BlackICE doesn't show any new "intruder" activity.

Any ideas? If this question might involve things more on the WinXP end (I wouldn't be using it if I had a choice... that's my dad's computer), please reply to me personally via e-mail (bart@gigabee.com) or preferably AIM (bartificial). Thanks!
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever resolve this problem?
I masquerade my network behind an older server box running dhcpd and a dns server. This setup works fine and is quite easy to setup with 95 and 2000, but cannot get XP going for the life of me (the tcp-ip settings are identical to those im using in 2000). Actually, when I run ipconfig /renew on the XP box, it assigns itself an ip not of the form 192.168.1.* and will not ping the server box.
Anyone have xp working on their lan that can help me resolve this issue?
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind..it was a hardware (or, more accurately cheap radio-shack ethernet cord) issue
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: