libpng upgrade hoses nxserver-freenx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: libpng upgrade hoses nxserver-freenx Reply with quote

net-misc/nx-3.4.0 (the compression stuff) is one of the files requiring rebuilding by the libpng15 upgrade. Unfortunately, it won't compile. I made the mistake of upgrading net-misc/nx to version 3.5.0 which compiles fine. Unfortunately, it appears that nx-3.4.0 really is the version required, since 3.5.0 doesn't handle screen size correctly for the stable freenx.

So, I tried upgrading to the the arch/x86~ version of nxserver-freenx, but I could not get it to serve up a session. Grrr.

My solution was to uninstall freenx in favor of nxserver-freeedition. It meets my needs, but was not a step I really wanted to take. nxserver-freeedition works fine. :-)
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on my own posting, it turns out that, because I need three occasional, different, remote user, nxserver-freeedition does not meet my needs.

Have installed neatx on my production machine.
I also installed the ~x86 version on my testing server.

I don't see any difference between the two versions. Both appear to work fine.

I found three flaws:

1. When a user terminates a session, the session files are left behind on the server in /var/lib/neatx/sessions/

These don't appear to a real problem in function, so I'm running the following with a cron job at 6 am in the morning:

CORRECTED 20111026 at 1218 EDT Adding * to (~/sessions/*) and changing maxdepth to 0
Code:
find /var/lib/neatx/sessions/* -maxdepth 0 -type d -daystart -mtime +0 -print0 | xargs --null --no-run-if-empty rm -rf

(As originally written the script also removes the sessions directory once it is a day old, without which neatx will not establish a session. BTW, sessions is a simple root owned directory with 777 permisssion so it's easy enough to put it back.)

That may be a little convoluted, but it works. I expect my users to TERMINATE their sessions when done, and this only deletes yesterday's sessions.

2. Also, left behind are many running /usr/libexec/menu-cached instances. This will demand another convoluted shell script to kill those processes once the user logs out.

3. The remote desktop is LXDE. The third problem is that the lxpanel is hidden below the bottom edge of the screen when the neatx session is first started. The solution, for the short term appears to be teaching the two other users to just resize the screen using the mouse on the bottom edge of the neatx window. Once resized, the panel shows up in a few seconds.

I hope development continues on this useful piece of software.

Last edited by figueroa on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. The remote desktop is LXDE. The third problem is that the lxpanel is hidden below the bottom edge of the screen when the neatx session is first started. The solution, for the short term appears to be teaching the two other users to just resize the screen using the mouse on the bottom edge of the neatx window. Once resized, the panel shows up in a few seconds

My nxserver-freenx appears to have upgraded fine, however I have had the issue of the panel being hidden and the easiest resolution I have found is to press Ctrl-Alt-F(fullscreen) and repeat to revert whereby it resizes correctly.

That said, I have also looked at the other NX offerings and X2go seems the best maintained, however gentoo seems to be a long way behind their development, though to be fair they have not made an official release for a while. The other problem I have yet to investigate further is that they use fuse and require that the user is in the fuse group, Gentoo does not create a fuse group or the associated permissions as far as I can tell.

I do have problems with the current freenx installation, I am having random session lock ups with the processes for sync-supers, nxagent, virtuoso and sometimes others getting stuck in a D state. The strange thing is that the computer is still useable via ssh, however I believe it may be due to the remote desktop being KDE(perhaps foolishly) and I was intending to try xfce but LXDE may be a good alternative.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my script to remove left over instances of /usr/libexec/menu-cached after ending a neatx session with an LXDE desktop -- problem #3 in my original post, above. Note, that /usr/libexec/menu-cached belongs to LXDE so the left over processes may not be unique to a neatx session.

ADDED 20111026 at 1248 EDT: I confirmed today that the left over /usr/libexec/menu-cached processes is not caused by neatx, since my home server running LXDE desktop only through nxserver-freeedition also ends up with old menu-cached processes. I don't have any experience running LXDE directly.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "" >> neatxcleanup.log
date >> neatxcleanup.log
if ps axu | cut --delimiter=" " -f 1 | grep -q nx
  then echo "At least one occurrence of nx is running. Ending" >> neatxcleanup.log && exit
  else echo "No instances of nx are running. Continuing ..." >> neatxcleanup.log
  fi

if ps -e | cut -c 25-45 | grep -q menu-cached
  then echo "menu-cached instances exist and will be killed." >> neatxcleanup.log && killall -9 menu-cached
  else echo "menu-cached instances do not exist." >> neatxcleanup.log
  fi

echo "The script ran to the end without error." >> neatxcleanup.log

SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did:

+ 26 Oct 2011; Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> nx-3.4.0-r3.ebuild:
+ Apply nx-3.5.0-libpng15.patch also to 3.4.0 wrt
+ https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-899336.html

And mailed the NX maintainer, voyageur AT g.o, about this thread so he is informed.

Hope that helps
Voyageur
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! And sorry for the delay answering, I was kind of busy with real life.

nxserver-freenx-0.7.3_p104-r6 should work with nx 3.5 as it only included an update to the sed line that was already needed for 3.4. If something else is needed in 3.5, I did not see it mentioned on the mailing list :/ And as you said, both freenx and neatx are mostly abandoned now...

Another dev (wormo) started to look in updating x2go packages, but it may be some time before one of us push updated packages

edit: there is also bug #388403 on this freenx version stabilization
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: