View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Fluxbox + Xterm[solved] Reply with quote

I'm currently using Fluxbox, I'm trying out Gentoo x86_64, and only have xterm, and aterm installed, ad did emerge --search mp3, but the list is too long, I tried enabling scroll lock, and that still didn't work, what other ways is there to scroll through files when the list is too long to fit in the Emulators? I haven't installed KDE, so Konsole is out of the question right now.. KDE takes many hours to install, just trying to get my sounds working first, so it'll give me something to do while waiting for the wait, :mrgreen: Thanks.. I know in FreeBSD enabling scroll lock and hitting Pg:Up and Pg:Dn works, but no here, =(.

Last edited by rottingdead on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe the command into a pager, which you can use to scroll through the output at your own pace:
Code:
emerge --search mp3 | more

The default pager is 'more', which only lets you scroll forward (a screen-full at a time). If you haven't done so already, you might want to replace it with 'less', which is more flexible (lets you scroll up and down):
Code:
emerge --search mp3 | less

Or

Redirect the output of the command to a file, which you can then open in an editor or a pager. This is a useful approach if you're going to want to refer to the output again later:
Code:
emerge --search mp3 > search_results.txt

rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Pipe the command into a pager, which you can use to scroll through the output at your own pace:
Code:
emerge --search mp3 | more

The default pager is 'more', which only lets you scroll forward (a screen-full at a time). If you haven't done so already, you might want to replace it with 'less', which is more flexible (lets you scroll up and down):
Code:
emerge --search mp3 | less

Or

Redirect the output of the command to a file, which you can then open in an editor or a pager. This is a useful approach if you're going to want to refer to the output again later:
Code:
emerge --search mp3 > search_results.txt

Awesome, thanks, =). How come stuff has you use two >> or some stuff only > ??
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> appends
> writes (as in overwriting)
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
>> appends
> writes (as in overwriting)

Aaah, =).
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an important distinction to remember.

Many a file has been wiped out by somebody hastily trying to add a line to it, and mistakenly using "replace or create" redirection:
Code:
echo "GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/" > /etc/make.conf
(Doh! Say "bye-bye make.conf".)

rather than "append or create" redirection:
Code:
echo "GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/" >> /etc/make.conf

With > redirection, the output goes to a newly created file; if the file already exists, its contents are truncated (the existing file's contents are entirely replaced with the new output).

With >> redirection, the output also goes to a newly created file; but if the file already exists, its contents are added at the end of the existing contents.

This is described in the man page for the shell (most Linux distributions use BASH by default). Type:
Code:
man bash

It's in the section entitled REDIRECTION.

Although, you might be better served to use a more tutorial-oriented approach:
Bash Beginner's Guide
Advanced Bash Scripting

Since you were using FreeBSD, if you used the command line much, you may be used to the tcsh shell (the FreeBSD default), which is very much like the bash shell, but there are a few differences. I found the second guide above to be very helpful. The more comfortable you are with the shell, the more fun you'll have with Gentoo.
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
That is an important distinction to remember.

Many a file has been wiped out by somebody hastily trying to add a line to it, and mistakenly using "replace or create" redirection:
Code:
echo "GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/" > /etc/make.conf
(Doh! Say "bye-bye make.conf".)

rather than "append or create" redirection:
Code:
echo "GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/" >> /etc/make.conf

With > redirection, the output goes to a newly created file; if the file already exists, its contents are truncated (the existing file's contents are entirely replaced with the new output).

With >> redirection, the output also goes to a newly created file; but if the file already exists, its contents are added at the end of the existing contents.

This is described in the man page for the shell (most Linux distributions use BASH by default). Type:
Code:
man bash

It's in the section entitled REDIRECTION.

Although, you might be better served to use a more tutorial-oriented approach:
Bash Beginner's Guide
Advanced Bash Scripting

Since you were using FreeBSD, if you used the command line much, you may be used to the tcsh shell (the FreeBSD default), which is very much like the bash shell, but there are a few differences. I found the second guide above to be very helpful. The more comfortable you are with the shell, the more fun you'll have with Gentoo.

Oooooh, tcsh, I didn't know that.. I thought FreeBSD used BASH.. How many shell/terminals are there? LOL..
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they do now; I haven't used in a long time.

There are lots of shells for unix and unix-like systems.

The most universal is simply 'sh' (the Bourne shell). Many people write their scripts on that, so that they'll run on any machine.

Other popular ones include csh and tcsh (typical of certain unixen and written to use a C-like syntax easy for C programmers), bash or "Bourne again shell" (which is part of GNU-linux), ksh (typical of certain unixen, which combined and extended features of those already listed -- the open source version of which, pksh, is default on openbsd), and zsh (an extended bash, more than anything else). They each built upon earlier ones and have, over time, incorporated many of each other's features.

There are also some "light" shells useful in certain situations such as bootup or embedded devices (ash, dash, busybox, etc.).

You can read some history here, if you're interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_shell

Don't get intimidated by all this. Just learn bash, which is quite featureful and the default on linux; there's really not that much difference. Also, bash can be invoked as 'sh', in which case it automatically limits itself to sh-compatible features. So, you don't need to install another shell in order to write 'portable' scripts.

If you master the shell and various tools and utilities that can be easily invoked in it, the command-line interface becomes more efficient than a GUI for many purposes, and the same commands can all be scripted, so you can automate virtually anything that you do frequently. I think this is part of the magic of unix-like systems.

Use the links I provided earlier to learn bash. If you're only going to use one of them, use the 2nd one (the Advanced Bash Scripting guide. Have fun.
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Maybe they do now; I haven't used in a long time.

There are lots of shells for unix and unix-like systems.

The most universal is simply 'sh' (the Bourne shell). Many people write their scripts on that, so that they'll run on any machine.

Other popular ones include csh and tcsh (typical of certain unixen and written to use a C-like syntax easy for C programmers), bash or "Bourne again shell" (which is part of GNU-linux), ksh (typical of certain unixen, which combined and extended features of those already listed -- the open source version of which, pksh, is default on openbsd), and zsh (an extended bash, more than anything else). They each built upon earlier ones and have, over time, incorporated many of each other's features.

There are also some "light" shells useful in certain situations such as bootup or embedded devices (ash, dash, busybox, etc.).

You can read some history here, if you're interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_shell

Don't get intimidated by all this. Just learn bash, which is quite featureful and the default on linux; there's really not that much difference. Also, bash can be invoked as 'sh', in which case it automatically limits itself to sh-compatible features. So, you don't need to install another shell in order to write 'portable' scripts.

If you master the shell and various tools and utilities that can be easily invoked in it, the command-line interface becomes more efficient than a GUI for many purposes, and the same commands can all be scripted, so you can automate virtually anything that you do frequently. I think this is part of the magic of unix-like systems.

Use the links I provided earlier to learn bash. If you're only going to use one of them, use the 2nd one (the Advanced Bash Scripting guide. Have fun.

Awesome, thanks, =).
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

That's not quite true. This piece of code will run happily in bash (called as /bin/sh), but won't run in some other shells like dash
Code:
#!/bin/sh
AAA="bbccdd"
echo "${AAA//b/}"

rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

That's not quite true. This piece of code will run happily in bash (called as /bin/sh), but won't run in some other shells like dash
Code:
#!/bin/sh
AAA="bbccdd"
echo "${AAA//b/}"

Hah, just threw me off there with that, =P.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had said that when it is invoked as 'sh', 'bash' will pretend to be 'sh', limiting itself to the functions available in 'sh'. He's showing that was not exactly accurate -- that even when you're asking bash to pretend that it is sh, it will handle some bash-unique syntax if it happens to be present.

His point is valid, but don't worry about this trivia for now. Just understand that there are some differences between various unix shells (like different dialects of a language). You are in Linux-land, so learn bash, and worry about the other stuff if and when it comes up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: