Configuring X using the xorg-config guide
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solour
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Configuring X using the xorg-config guide Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently following the guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
I have some questions though:
(1) in '/etc/conf.d/xdm' I have 'DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"'
but the guide says that 'echo XSESSION="Xfce4" > /etc/env.d/90xsession' will determine what is to be started.

Furthermore, the guide says that files in '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/' are the configuration files.
(2) Is the file '/etc/xorg.conf' of any relevance or is it completely deprecated?
(3) Do I need to/should I move the content of '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' into the files in '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/'?
(4) Is it normal that the directory '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/' does not exist on the system?

I had not included the inkernel Nouveau drivers before. Now that I did this:
(5) do I need to unmerge the nvidia drivers 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers'? Can it result in problems if I do this at a later point?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

ps: it is probably my fault but it seems that for my kernel linux-2.6.39-gentoo-r3 I have not the option to select or deselect
-*- Framebuffer Console support
Is this my fault or is this a problem of the guide or the versions?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The display manager is the "desktop greeter" that runs when you turn on the computer, whereas the XSESSION specifies the desktop environment that will be run when you log in (via the display manager).

2) Under normal circumstances, xorg.conf is no longer needed as X does the necessary auto-configuration. xorg.conf.d is not needed, but if manual configuration is needed, can make it easier to organise the configuration (by splitting it into multiple parts).

3) You don't need to move xorg.conf into xorg.conf.d, xorg.conf will work fine.

4) It is normal that xorg.conf.d doesn't exist.

5) I believe that you can install both drivers at the same time, but only one can be used at a time. If you intend on using nouveau, it is safe to unmerge nvidia-drivers.

If in the kernel configuration you don't have the option of selecting or deselecting a feature, it is because that feature is on/off conditional on other features being enabled. In menuconfig, you can press "?" to get information about this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: