[SOLVED] AltGr key not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] AltGr key not working Reply with quote

Hello people of Gentoo;

I'm kind of a Gentoo noob, I've been using Gentoo for just about 3 months now. I love it, the system is much, much faster than Ubuntu, and it only takes 8 seconds to get to the login screen on my Samsung NC10 netbook (Ubuntu 10.10 takes 30 seconds and Win7 26 seconds).

I am now running an XFCE 4.8 desktop and i have configured everything i need and really, everything works like a charm. The only thing i can't get to work is a quite crucial feauture, which is the use of additional characters with the AltGr key (on the italian keymap). Simply put, standard on italian keymaps is for example AltGr + è = square bracket, Shift + AltGr + è = curly bracket. They are quite essential for programming and stuff like that! Also the "at" symbol is AltGr + ò and that doesn't work either! It seems like the AltGr key isn't seen at all, it makes no effect whatsoever. However, xev sees it, this is what it says when i press that AltGr key:

Code:
KeyPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x1c00001,
    root 0xaa, subw 0x0, time 64535057, (-196,-66), root:(227,138),
    state 0x0, keycode 108 (keysym 0xff7e, Mode_switch), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I tried changing my locale into UTF8, but this has made no difference, other than make all my XFCE desktop into italian (which i don't really want)

Code:

james@Netbukkolo ~ $ locale
LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="it_IT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I really don't know what type of logs you might like to have, maybe my xorg.conf would be useful, so here it is:

Code:

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Intel i915"
   Option "Monitor-VGA-0" "Laptop Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "VGA Screen"
   Option "PreferredMode" "1024x600"
   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

EndSection

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "keyboard-all"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "XkbLayout" "it"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp:switch,grp_led:scroll,compose:rwin,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
   Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
   MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
       Identifier "touchpad catchall"
       Driver "synaptics"
       MatchIsTouchpad "on"
       MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
           Option "TapButton1" "1"
           Option "TapButton2" "0"
           Option "TapButton3" "0"
      Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
EndSection

I hope i posted in the right section, and that i have posted enough logs. You can ask more if you think they might be useful! And of course, i searched the italian and the english gentoo wiki for this problem but i couldn't find anyone with this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by ultraslinky on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some extra scouting around the forum seemed to show that that "compose:rwin" part in the xorg.conf is responsible for that... Any suggestions in what to change it into?

I found this thread, but i don't get what i could change that "compose:rwin" into. Removing it alltogether doesn't work, i already tried.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-864555-highlight-altgr+key.html

Thanks!
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if xev sees Alt Gr but it has no effect, something is wrong with your xkb setup. The part from xorg.conf seems OK ( "XkbModel" "pc105" I think has Alt Gr, but perhaps one should check).

Could it be that XFCE reconfigures your keyboard ? Under KDE I had to set it not to touch xkb in your for my custom xorg.conf configuration be respected
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dmpogo,

Thanks for your quick reply! I don't think it's XFCE's fault, i had LXDE before and i still had the problem. And right now i tried with a twm session and still it does it (to test i'm just trying to write a curly bracket into leafpad). But hey, isn't it usually recommended to let the D.E. choose the settings?

P.S. of course the AltGr key works under my older Ubuntu 10.10 and also on a Xubuntu live cd
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultraslinky wrote:
Hey dmpogo,

Thanks for your quick reply! I don't think it's XFCE's fault, i had LXDE before and i still had the problem. And right now i tried with a twm session and still it does it (to test i'm just trying to write a curly bracket into leafpad). But hey, isn't it usually recommended to let the D.E. choose the settings?

P.S. of course the AltGr key works under my older Ubuntu 10.10 and also on a Xubuntu live cd

I never followed that recommendation, but it is just me. I have a feeling that basic hardware (keyboard, power management, hybernation) should work without desktop as well, so I try to configure those things independently independently.

Nevertherless, there are two things, codes keyboard generates and fonts that display the result. Did you check that AltGr + something generates a different or the same code as "something" alone ? You can do that with xev again
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that issue after... having another more annoying one (topic 896532). The compose option was the culprit with another one that I don't remember anymore for not having a functional/active keyboard/mouse when using slim/elsa (e17 login manager), but now after removing compose and that other option, keyboard/mouse are active with slim/elsa but the AltGr doesn't work at all so I could never login with either one.

You may add `it,en' to your Xkb layout as you're just setting a switch toggle aren't you? to toggle what?

I still have no clue about this...

EDIT: I tried LXDE a few weeks ago when I still had the former issue but I do not remember if the issue was present when in LXDE... even with the former issue, I still had a functional keyboard/mouse in gnome-2.32 and e17 with a functional AltGr.

EDIT2: Want to jump into e17? it's a great light DE with really very few compile time! You can compile/update in a matter of few minutes.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
I have that issue after... having another more annoying one (topic 896532). The compose option was the culprit with another one that I don't remember anymore for not having a functional/active keyboard/mouse when using slim/elsa (e17 login manager), but now after removing compose and that other option, keyboard/mouse are active with slim/elsa but the AltGr doesn't work at all so I could never login with either one.

You may add `it,en' to your Xkb layout as you're just setting a switch toggle aren't you? to toggle what?

EDIT: I tried LXDE a few weeks ago when I still had the former issue but I do not remember if the issue was present when in LXDE... even with the former issue, I still had a functional keyboard/mouse in gnome-2.32 and e17 with a functional AltGr.

Actually, a good catch.

I would advice to comment out at all that XkbOptions line, to check what the most basic setup will do
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:

I never followed that recommendation, but it is just me. I have a feeling that basic hardware (keyboard, power management, hybernation) should work without desktop as well, so I try to configure those things independently independently.

Nevertherless, there are two things, codes keyboard generates and fonts that display the result. Did you check that AltGr + something generates a different or the same code as "something" alone ? You can do that with xev again

Ok now i noticed something interesting on xev's output: while i've got the AltGr key pressed down, this is the output:

Code:

KeyPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    root 0xaa, subw 0x0, time 2534943, (162,291), root:(585,495),
    state 0x0, keycode 108 (keysym 0xff20, Multi_key), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
   XFilterEvent returns: True

What is that XFilterEvent? is that normal? it only does it with the AltGr key.

If i press AltGr + è to make a square bracket, i get the same code as pressing the è key without AltGr, which is this:

Code:

KeyRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x1a00001,
    root 0xaa, subw 0x0, time 2584453, (92,383), root:(515,587),
    state 0x0, keycode 34 (keysym 0xe8, egrave), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (e8) "�"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Pressing AltGr + è gives the same result in xev (and in applications) as pressing the unmodified è key...

Quote:

What do you mean by switch toggle? You mean that option in the XKbOptions? I don't really need it, it was default Gentoo handbook suggestion, let's try removing it...
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's try and remove all those XKbOptions (can't comment out, i need that AltGr key to make the hash sign for the comments! haha)

tclover: I'd love to try it! But how is it installed? emerge -av enlightenment gives me version 1.0.9 (and i ACCEPYT_KEYWORDS to "(tilde)x86")... shouldn't it be called "e17" or something?
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also try to comment out

Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"

(honestly, I never understood which way this option works)
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is incredible... I just removed the whole line and it works perfectly!!! []{}@#`€ ! And i also get some weird characters mapped to AltGr + letter, like æ, ø, ↓ ←→ , this is crazy! Maybe i could find a way to type a with umlaut with AltGr and "a" key for example, but that's not for this thread. I'm glad i can use this gentoo setup as my main machine now that i can type properly!

Seriously, I treated that Handbook as a bible, i would never have thought removing a setting specified in the Handbook's guide for X.org.

Thanks dmpogo and tclover!!
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then I'm gonna remove a few options as well. Actually I tried to remove a few but I did not test with AltGr key but rather to check for a functional/active keyboard/mouse.

You may mark the topic [SOLVED], this will help many gentooligans out there! Just got the unofficial wiki for guidance on how to merge e17, you can go to this topic 873651 for tips & tricks, ebuilds etc. for e17.

EDIT: only terminate option works... the other ones are really meesing with key map/keyboard/mouse.

Last edited by tclover on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
Well, then I'm gonna remove a few options as well. Actually I tried to remove a few but I did not test with AltGr key but rather to check for a functional/active keyboard/mouse.

You may mark the topic [SOLVED], this will help many gentooligans out there! Just got the unofficial wiki for guidance on how to merge e17, you can go to this topic 873651 for tips & tricks, ebuilds etc. for e17.

Ironically i needed the square brackets to work to update the title post :) i've done it.

For E17, I have tried following that guide, but the overlay isn't working currently? I'm doing "layman -a enlightenment" and it fails. I tested adding the gnome overlay and that works (of course i aborted it before it finished, don't want to get into that mess), so layman is working...
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it failed because i didn't have subversion installed :D now installing
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't emerge.... maybe i should try in a couple of days (i'm emerging the snapshot version)
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultraslinky wrote:
It won't emerge.... maybe i should try in a couple of days (i'm emerging the snapshot version)

That's the one you should merge, if you followed the wiki, you should be able to merge safely... well, minor hal headache. Do you have a hal free system? if so, there's a few topics in the forum for that, lemme see if I can find one quickly.
Don't try to merge modules related to places, because those ones rquire hal and... add eeze after e_dbus to get rid of ehal module. That's all I think.

EDIT: so you should have something like:
/etc/portage/sets/enlightenement-live wrote:
=dev-libs/eina-9999
=dev-libs/eet-9999
=media-libs/evas-9999[X,jpeg,png,svg,xpm,fontconfig]
=dev-libs/ecore-9999[curl,X]
=dev-libs/efreet-9999
=dev-libs/embryo-9999
=media-libs/edje-9999[vim-syntax]
=dev-libs/e_dbus-9999
=dev-libs/eeze-9999
=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999[udev,ukit]

Did you merged portage-2.2.0_alpha* by the way?
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:

That's the one you should merge, if you followed the wiki, you should be able to merge safely... well, minor hal headache. Do you have a hal free system? if so, there's a few topics in the forum for that, lemme see if I can find one quickly.
Don't try to merge modules related to places, because those ones rquire hal and... add eeze after e_dbus to get rid of ehal module. That's all I think.

EDIT: so you should have something like:
/etc/portage/sets/enlightenement-live wrote:
=dev-libs/eina-9999
=dev-libs/eet-9999
=media-libs/evas-9999[X,jpeg,png,svg,xpm,fontconfig]
=dev-libs/ecore-9999[curl,X]
=dev-libs/efreet-9999
=dev-libs/embryo-9999
=media-libs/edje-9999[vim-syntax]
=dev-libs/e_dbus-9999
=dev-libs/eeze-9999
=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999[udev,ukit]

Did you merged portage-2.2.0_alpha* by the way?

My system is totally hal-free since the beginning. I only set it up a couple of weeks ago or so, so i've got only Udev and Dbus and OpenRC on this system.
What isn't compiling isn't actually e17 itself, but its dependency, lua-5.1.4-r7... I compiled the rest using --keep-going but most of these are failing. I haven't merged portage-2.2.0... should i? I guess it's in the sunrise overlay? Is it needed to emerge these -9999 packages?

Thanks!
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultraslinky wrote:
What isn't compiling isn't actually e17 itself, but its dependency, lua-5.1.4-r7... I compiled the rest using --keep-going but most of these are failing. I haven't merged portage-2.2.0... should i? I guess it's in the sunrise overlay? Is it needed to emerge these -9999 packages?

Well, read the wiki carefully, there's nothing much to do, it's just that with portage-2.2.0 you can build a set like what I posted above, so in the end, you can merge/update a whole e17 DE set easily with a single command like `emerge -av @enlighetenment-live' whenever you need to.

You just had to unmask portage because it is in the official tree, so something like `echo '=sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha* **' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords' will do the trick to merge portage version 2.2.0_alpha*'. So again, I think everything is explained in the wiki, at least it was the last time I've checked. You may checkout the sticky post of ssuominen (topic 858965) in this (DE) forum for a tips & tricks with a hal free system.

EDIT: And of course you'll have to unmask portage wil something like `echo '=sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha*' >> /etc/portage/package.unmask' as well, well I'm not sure about that.

EDIT2: Do you run stable or ~arch? because in the case of a stable buidl you'll have to add ~arch in keywords like `echo '=sys-apps/portage-2.2.0_alpha* ** ~x86' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords' for an x86 system.
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i have followed all those steps to get consolekit and polkit running well, i needed them to mount disks with Xfce. And everything says it's working well (ck-sessions-list gives me an active session). I am on ~x86 now and all ebuilds updated, but still those e17 packages aren't compiling, and also that lua dependency isn't compiling. Would a build log be of any use to you?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, open a new topic in the DE forum and post that log. I'll see if I can help, at least I'll see what's going with that lua dependency. You may try to merge a previous version of lua with something like `emerge -av1 '=lua-$VERSION'' if ever there's a new unstable lua ebuild... Anyway, open a new topic and post the log file.
ultraslinky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclover wrote:
Well then, open a new topic in the DE forum and post that log. I'll see if I can help, at least I'll see what's going with that lua dependency. You may try to merge a previous version of lua with something like `emerge -av1 '=lua-$VERSION'' if ever there's a new unstable lua ebuild... Anyway, open a new topic and post the log file.

Ok, I'll do that :) thanks for your help!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: