Failed to load Modules: nouveau, vesa, fbdev when SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Failed to load Modules: nouveau, vesa, fbdev when SOLVED Reply with quote

Before I get flamed... I have followed Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide, The X Server Configuration HOWTO, and Gentoo nVidia wiki. I have been at this for 3 days, compiling kernels, adjusting menuconfigs, recompiling, installing nvida-drivers, removing nvidia-drivers, installing nouveau drivers, removing nouveau drivers, did I mention recompiling the kernel? The only success I have had and quite frankly have no idea what i did to achieve it is to have one of my compiled kernels running a beautiful hi-res console, while the other working kernel does not. I have deleted several kernel images and am down to two. One hi-res console, one not - but both giving me the same friggin' errors on startx.

I would love to give the output of Xorg.0.log, but I am installing on a laptop which at this point is command-line only and I really don't even know how to do it yet. The basic errors simply state Failed to load the 3 modules, namely nouveau, vesa and fbdev. I am set on going the nVidia driver route so am not even sure why the nouveau module is still trying to load. I thought I took all that out. Now that I think of it though, I can't even find the place to configure, or de-configure that in the kernel anymore. I had read and thought I saw it in staging drivers, but now it does not even appear in there.

Am using gentoo sources, kernel 2.6.39-gentoo-r3

I am so baffled at this point I am not even sure what is loaded, installed, or uninstalled. Does anyone have any sane direction for this now, insane Gentoob. :oops:

Last edited by fwempa on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What card is this.
app-text/wgetpaste can post logs for you from CLI.
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It's a GeForce 8400M GS.

wgetpaste output

I am still trying to find the reference to the nouveau driver in menuconfig I am not seeing it in Staging Drivers. :?

Last edited by fwempa on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to make up your mind, nouveau or nvidia, kernel configuration is different. Xorg nouveau driver is pulled in when you set VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau" in your make.conf. You have to enable certain options in kernel for it to work, though.
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a preference between nouveau and nvidia? See previous post for wgetpaste output. I am currently decided on nVidia. I have change dso much because I have had so much trouble. I realize the settings and configs are different and I'm afraid I have so many wires crossed now that I'll never get through this without total reinstall.

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" currently.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly need VDPAU myself, thus I'm using proprietary driver.
For nvidia you have to follow Gentoo guide and disable all those options in kernel, then emerge -1av nvidia-drivers, set VIDEO_CARDS to nvidia, too. Note, you need a minimal xorg.conf with Device section to have nvidia driver loaded.
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for your reply I thought I had done just that. But still getting the same errors looking for nouveau modules, vesa modules and fbdev modules.

I followed the Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide to the letter. I'm afraid I might have some leftover nouveau settings turned on that I don't know about.

To compile against a specific kernel... correct these steps if i'm wrong.
1) set menuconfig options
2) make && make modules_install in /usr/src/linux
3) install nvidia-drivers (with VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia")
4) modprobe nvidia
5) startx

Doing this leads to the mentioned errors.
What am I missing?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have followed Gentoo Handbook then your /boot needs to be mounted by hand before copying the new kernel over. Having nouveau Xorg driver in your system will not cause any conflicts. Below is the Device section of my xorg.conf, that's all you really need, after adjusting it of course. I do have dual monitors, that's why I have two devices.

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8500 GT"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8500 GT"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          1
EndSection

fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, I really appreciate the help. I already know about the manual boot minting. I have done that. Will try with your settings tomorrow. My pillow calls.
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.... Partial success. It is apparent that I did indeed need an xorg.conf file after all. I get the nVidia splash screen, but then session closes with new errors about not finding xclock, xterm. Gonna try installing those now. Thanks, Jag, you got me further in a couple posts than I got in 4 days of reading the handbook.

Not complaining, by the way. I am really learning alot and am loving the Gentoo experience. I've been Linuxing for a long time now and even tried Gentoo back in early 2000s. Finally decided to take the full plunge.

Thanks for your help. :D
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll call this one solved for now. Currently emerging gnome. Fingers crossed.
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks... I was also stuck in this nightmare... the docs should make it explicit that using nvidia REQUIRES a minimal xorg.conf ... your sample provided works fine.

It's the 6th gentoo box I'm building and I was following the instructions for Xorg ... which send me down the nouveau path. After failure there, and a bit of research, I decided I would be better off with nvidia like I have on this box, and assumed it would be a cakewalk switching ... as per original poster, got into a vicious cycle of emerging and kernel tweaking and rebooting ad nauseum without getting anywhere (except one for a nice hi-res terminal... would really like that back!) until I added a minimal xorg.conf.

The docs mention editing an existing one, but at the same time encourage people to operate WITHOUT one ... and that does not seem to work for nvidia .....

cheers, Ian
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

It can indeed be a kind of a trap, or a series of traps.
Been more or less in the same myself not so very long ago when all this was new to me.

The documentation is still awesome, but there are some things that should be made more clear and/or updated.
Too bad I can not do this.

With that said, I thought I'd try to clear up some things mentioned here for anyone else stumbling upon it.

First off, when X complains about not finding twm, xterm, and/or xclock, this basically means that xorg-server is working, but it does not find anything to do as it tries to start the default applications since nothing else has been defined in neither .xinitrc in the user's home directory, nor in /etc/env.d/90xsession as a 'global' default.

Now as for the high-resolution framebuffer, anything above 1280x800 has probably been with nouveau as the nvidia-drivers can not do higher (this from my personal experiences with vesafb and uvesafb). I have not actually found a definite answer on the highest resolution the proprietary drivers can do, but it would certainly look like that. Using for example the SystemRescueCd will give me a 1920x1080 full-screen console automagically, while with nvidia-drivers I am only able to get the 1280x800 which doesn't even fill the whole screen, but instead, there are empty, black areas on each sides of the screen. With uvesafb I actually did get a higher resolution, sort of, but it was as if squeezed into that same space as the 1280x800 one was, with empty areas all around.

Below are links to the documentation that helped me with this topic.

For vesafb:For uvesafb:

You might remember me from Gentoo projects such as Forums, LXQt, Qt, and Wine.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Ias the nvidia-drivers can not do higher (this from my personal experiences with vesafb and uvesafb). I have not actually found a definite answer on the highest resolution the proprietary drivers can do

This isn't about nvidia-drivers. They don't handle the console. This is about what's in your particular card's vbios. (u)vesafb drivers don't do modesetting, so they're limited to what's in the vbios. Sometimes high resolutions are in there, mostly they're not.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
Ias the nvidia-drivers can not do higher (this from my personal experiences with vesafb and uvesafb). I have not actually found a definite answer on the highest resolution the proprietary drivers can do

This isn't about nvidia-drivers. They don't handle the console. This is about what's in your particular card's vbios. (u)vesafb drivers don't do modesetting, so they're limited to what's in the vbios. Sometimes high resolutions are in there, mostly they're not.

Hmmm, yeah, I worded that badly.
I (at least sort of) understood that the nvidia-drivers themselves are not actually doing anything on that part, but it would seem I didn't really think about it past that.

So is it about KMS or what, then?
I mean, why does the SystemRescueCd provide the high-resolution console while I fail with both, vesafb and uvesafb which are (as far as I understand) the options for nvidia-drivers. For example, hwinfo will indeed show resolutions up to that 1280x800 only, but I actually forgot if I tried it while running the SystemRescueCd to try and deduce what it does differently because it certainly does use a 1920x1080 resolution, full-screen no less.

I was debating on creating my own topic about this, to get it cleared, and it would seem like I really should, unless there is some simple answer to it all that I'm not grasping. I have been searching about this a lot all over the internets, and read through dozens of forum-threads and other kind of sites, but there obviously are still things unclear.

I may have just now found something, though... have to read on it at a better time.

Thanks for the reply!

Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I mean, why does the SystemRescueCd provide the high-resolution console

SystemRescueCD is using nouveau.you're comparing apples and oranges here,
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
I mean, why does the SystemRescueCd provide the high-resolution console

SystemRescueCD is using nouveau.you're comparing apples and oranges here,

Yes, I know, and that's my point exactly, I think?

I say that with nvidia-drivers one does not, or may not, get to use the highest resolutions, but with nouveau it is likely possible (like it is for me).
You say that nvidia-drivers have nothing to do with it, but the actual card vbios, and so, nouveau doesn't care about that, then?

So as I mentioned, it is indeed about KMS which nouveau uses, then?
While with nvidia-drivers one can only use (u)vesafb instead?

Of that is it, then I think I got it.
In any case, if I have more questions after this, I will start my own topic, then.

Thanks again!

krenshala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently fighting with a similar problem. I set up a new computer using the 3.1.6 kernel, attempted to follow teh directions for X an nvidia-drivers. However, X would display nothing but garbage on screen when it starts, and the system would be effectively locked up. I had to take a break from working on it for a while, and have just now come back to it.

I doublechecked quite a bit, then said "screw it", and upgraded to the 3.2.1 kernel. Now I don't get the blown up X, but it drops to console instead. Checking the logs its installing nouveau drivers at boot then failing to load the nvidia-drivers when it attempts to start X and staying at the (high-res) fb display. I could swear I followed the nvidia guide and disabled all the nouveau stuff.

startx outputs that it failed to load "dri", "dri2", then gets:
Code:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (lib/modules3.2.1-gentoo-r2[list]video/nvidia.ko): No such device

However, I have verified that nvidia.ko is indeed at the path listed. When I try to install the module manually I get:
Code:

raven ~ # modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/3.2.1-gentoo-r2/video/nvidia.ko): No such device

So, what do you folks suggest I check? The steps in the guide(s) make sense, but the guides just confuse me further at this point.

[edit] I just recompiled (make && make modules_install && module_rebuild rebuild) after removing the uvesafb entry, leaving just vesafb, and it came up. now I just need to get it to use Fluxbox instead of the default. Yay progress.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: