conky downspeedf wrong reading [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: conky downspeedf wrong reading [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi all,

I think this may be due to an update, but now "downspeedf" in my .conkyrc shows incorrect values.

For instance, iftop shows:
RX: 4.40KB 17.2Kb 0b 84b 1.95Kb
while downspeedf in conky shows: 23230.8 (if I am correct, the units should be KiB)

Any idea on what could be the cause of this or how to go about debugging it?

Thanks,

Efo

Last edited by Efo on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this problem too. Although the speed does seem to go down briefly once in a while, the speed that conky reports appears to generally grow (and the speed at which it grows appears to be positively related to the current speed of the network).

For example. right now, it's reporting that my wlan0 (802.11g wireless interface) has 1.11GiB/s down and 449MiB/s up; this isn't possible with 802.11g. Also, my ppp0 interface (56k dial-up, which isn't connected) is reported as currently having 182MiB/s down and 4.99MiB/s up. Luckily, my eth0 (wired Ethernet, which is currently disconnected) is showing 0B/s accurately. I'm using downspeed, downspeedgraph, upspeed, and upspeedgraph; the values and graphs seem to agree, but both provide wrong values.

I remember that the reported speeds used to be more or less accurate, but I don't remember when it broke (I usually have some services that use the network running in the background), but I started worrying when the up and down speeds didn't drop after I disabled those services. (It might be after I updated gcc from 4.4.5 to 5.3-r1, but I'm not sure)

Does anyone know how conky gets the network speeds? I've tried conky's IRC channel, but couldn't get any good explanation or solution. I also tried looking at the source, but had trouble following it (and finding how it gets the network speed).

I'd appreciate help debugging this too. Thanks.

Code:
$color$stippled_hr
Networking (eth0; wired):
 ${color lightgrey}Down:${color #8844ee} ${downspeed eth0}/s${color lightgrey} ${tab 65}Up:${color #22ccff} ${upspeed eth0}/s
${color #0000ff}${downspeedgraph eth0 32,120 ff0000 0000ff} ${color #22ccff}${upspeedgraph eth0 32,120 0000ff ff0000}
$color$stippled_hr
Networking (wlan0; ${wireless_essid wlan0}): ${wireless_link_bar wlan0}
 ${color lightgrey}Down:${color #8844ee} ${downspeed wlan0}/s${color lightgrey} ${tab 65}Up:${color #22ccff} ${upspeed wlan0}/s
${color #0000ff}${downspeedgraph wlan0 32,120 ff0000 0000ff} ${color #22ccff}${upspeedgraph wlan0 32,120 0000ff ff0000}
$color$stippled_hr
Networking (ppp0; dial-up):
 ${color lightgrey}Down:${color #8844ee} ${downspeed ppp0}/s${color lightgrey} ${tab 65}Up:${color #22ccff} ${upspeed ppp0}/s
${color #0000ff}${downspeedgraph ppp0 32,120 ff0000 0000ff} ${color #22ccff}${upspeedgraph ppp0 32,120 0000ff ff0000}
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an older thread with the same problem: conky reporting huge/nonsensical bandwidth on tun0.
Oo.et.oO
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks @jchau.

i started that other thread. i guess we should congregate in the newer thread.
i have two network bars/up/down in my conky config. one is for eth0 and one for tun0 (vpn tunnel). they both used to work correctly and i could and did depend upon them.

when i upgraded to:
Code:
 1.8.1-r2(11:26:03 08/23/11)(X curl hddtemp imlib iostats ncurses nvidia portmon rss truetype vim-syntax weather-xoap -apcupsd -audacious -debug -eve -lua -lua-cairo -lua-imlib -math -moc -mpd -nano-syntax -thinkpad -weather-metar -wifi -xmms2)

tun0 now reports very high bandwidth that isn't possible on my vpn. it appears eth0 works.
it usually sits with a full graph at 179MiB/s down and 57.9MiB/s up.
where typical max bandwidth is about 120 KiB/s (it's not a misplaced decimal nor unit conversion nor similar, probably)

i've written to the conky mailinglist about this issue and received exactly 0 replies.
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got around to filing a bug report like I wanted to, but it seems like the latest update from app-admin/conky-1.8.1-r2 to app-admin/conky-1.8.1-r3 fixed this problem for me. The speeds appear reasonable again (and they go back down).
Oo.et.oO
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: 1.8.1-r3 ebuild fixes it Reply with quote

jchau wrote:
it seems like the latest update from app-admin/conky-1.8.1-r2 to app-admin/conky-1.8.1-r3 fixed this problem for me. The speeds appear reasonable again (and they go back down).

confirmed here. strange, as it's the same version of conky code. i'm happy.

:D
Efo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys and thank you for keeping the thread alive.

I confirm the weirdness and that the problem seems to be fixed in app-admin/conky-1.8.1-r3.

It looks like they are pretty quick in removing old versions form the main tree, they should leave a couple of them.
I remember I couldnt emerge back to the previous version to see if the problem was due to the update or not. I guess I could have used an overlay... lazy me.

Anyway, glad that conky is finally back to its old self :)

Efo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: