View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, there are several packages that are now broken and refuse to build. Details provided above.

Now I need printing so let's start by specifically trying to resolve that one.

printing requires cups and a dozen packages also require ghostscript-gpl which is failing because I can't rebuild cups to get rid of the png1.4 bits.

Code:
Compiling ipptest.c...
Linking ipptest...
Making all in scripting/php...
Compiling phpcups.c...
phpcups.c:43:16: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'phpcups_functions'
phpcups.c:64:3: error: 'phpcups_functions' undeclared here (not in a function)
make[1]: *** [phpcups.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1
emake failed
 * ERROR: net-print/cups-1.4.8-r22 failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  84:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 8621:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die "emake failed";
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =net-print/cups-1.4.8-r22',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =net-print/cups-1.4.8-r22'.
!!! When you file a bug report, please include the following information:
GENTOO_VM=  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME="/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm"
JAVACFLAGS="" COMPILER=""
and of course, the output of emerge --info
 * The complete build log is located at '/usr/portage/log/net-print:cups-1.4.8-r22:20111126-061455.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/back/tmp/portage/net-print/cups-1.4.8-r22/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/back/tmp/portage/net-print/cups-1.4.8-r22/work/cups-1.4.8'

>>> Failed to emerge net-print/cups-1.4.8-r22, Log file:

Code:
echo $GENTOO_VM $CLASSPATH $JAVACFLAGS $COMPILER $JAVA_HOME
/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm

So what's this breakage in phpcups.c and how do I go about fixing it?

TIA.
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that link Trog Dog. It seems there's all sorts broken crap getting into the portage tree right now.

This system is a clusterfuck . Having spent all my spare time for the last week battling with this crap I have now binned it and restored my root partition from a week ago before all this started.

I will NEVER again get screwed around by libpng. When libpng-1.5 first hit testing ~x86 and I saw it was going to cause all sorts of issues I masked it. I was hoping that now this is marked "stable" things would be sorted. Apparently not.

>=libpng-1.5is now masked and will remain so for as long 1.4 remains in the tree. When it is not longer I'll run Fedora or something.

As for the glib mess : thanks to whatever devs are in charge of that breakage. Likewise >=2.30 now masked locally.

I love Gentoo generally but once every year or two we seem to have to with a major screw up like this.

When the dumb-asses over at libpng get their act together and manage to write an interface that they don't need to redefine every time they issue a release, we'll all waste a lot less of our time.

Thanks again to Trog Dog for showing the way forward (which was actually to go backwards) . This is a great example of why we should never confuse the terms 'update' with 'upgrade'.

I've now upgraded to the previous version. :roll: [/b]
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:

If it seem simple and obvious to you how to sort out this mess please post specifics.

None of those are libpng related at all, so I'll pass. File a new thread for unrelated problems.

Gentree wrote:
libpng-1.5 is now masked and will remain so for as long 1.4 remains in the tree. When it is not longer I'll run Fedora or something.

That's pretty funny since Fedora just switched to libpng15:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-November/159075.html

And the libpng14 in Portage is only for binary packages, and doesn't install headers at all so masking 1.5 would be a mistake (simply won't work)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why none has done the upgrade.sh file libpng14 has get ?

the elog for libpng15 explain the revdep-rebuild part that cover the broken missing libpng14.so.14 file, but not the .la file "lpng14" magic sequence.

Stable users shoudn't need to use the forum like ~arch ones, and portage should provide itself a way to fix the issue, just like the libpng14.sh upgrade file (can't remember the name) was doing

and the 1st page revdep-rebuild example should target /usr/lib and not /usr/lib64, 64bits users have /usr/lib link to /usr/lib64 no ? So using /usr/lib will work for both arch, while /usr/lib64 will fail for x86 users (the elog itself didn't have that mistake).
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
Gentree wrote:

If it seem simple and obvious to you how to sort out this mess please post specifics.

None of those are libpng related at all, so I'll pass. File a new thread for unrelated problems.

Gentree wrote:
libpng-1.5 is now masked and will remain so for as long 1.4 remains in the tree. When it is not longer I'll run Fedora or something.

That's pretty funny since Fedora just switched to libpng15:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-November/159075.html

The difference being when you update Fedora you don't bork your system and sign up for weeks worth maintenance work!

Quote:

And the libpng14 in Portage is only for binary packages, and doesn't install headers at all so masking 1.5 would be a mistake (simply won't work)

Huh? When I installed libpng-1.4 (which was also a pain but a managable one) I did not use a binary package , I built it as per usual practice.

Are you saying the current libpng-1.4 ebuilds are in someway incomplete and will also lead to a broken system?
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're fed up with upstreams breaking ABIs, use Portage 2.2!

Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: dev-libs/libcdio-0.83
 *  - /usr/lib64/libcdio_cdda.so.0
 *  - /usr/lib64/libcdio_cdda.so.0.0.5
 *      used by /usr/bin/mencoder (media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1)
 *      used by /usr/bin/mplayer (media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1)
 *  - /usr/lib64/libcdio.so.12
 *  - /usr/lib64/libcdio.so.12.0.0
 *      used by /usr/bin/cdxa2mpeg (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
 *      used by /usr/bin/vcd-info (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
 *      used by /usr/bin/vcdimager (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/libvcdinfo.so.0.2.0 (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
 *  - /usr/lib64/libcdio_paranoia.so.0
 *  - /usr/lib64/libcdio_paranoia.so.0.0.3
 *      used by /usr/bin/mencoder (media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1)
 *      used by /usr/bin/mplayer (media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1)
 *  - /usr/lib64/libiso9660.so.7
 *  - /usr/lib64/libiso9660.so.7.0.0
 *      used by /usr/bin/cdxa2mpeg (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
 *      used by /usr/bin/vcd-info (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
 *      used by /usr/bin/vcdimager (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/libvcdinfo.so.0.2.0 (media-video/vcdimager-0.7.23-r1)
>>> package: x11-libs/qscintilla-2.6
 *  - /usr/lib64/qt4/libqscintilla2.so.6
 *  - /usr/lib64/qt4/libqscintilla2.so.6.1.0
 *      used by /usr/bin/sqliteman (dev-db/sqliteman-1.2.2)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/qt4/plugins/designer/libqscintillaplugin.so (x11-libs/qscintilla-2.6)
>>> package: app-text/poppler-0.18.1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler-glib.so.6
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler-glib.so.6.0.0
 *      used by /usr/bin/inkscape (media-gfx/inkscape-0.48.2)
 *      used by /usr/bin/inkview (media-gfx/inkscape-0.48.2)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-pdf-load (media-gfx/gimp-2.7.3-r1)
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler.so.18
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler.so.18.0.0
 *      used by /usr/bin/luatex (dev-tex/luatex-0.70.1)
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler.so.13
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler.so.13.0.0
 *      used by /usr/bin/inkscape (media-gfx/inkscape-0.48.2)
 *      used by /usr/bin/inkview (media-gfx/inkscape-0.48.2)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

:D
kami22
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

any solution with the broken cups package here? I am still trying to recompile cups, but always get the same phpcups error.

thank a lot.

Cu kami
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more a curiosity than a complaint, and I don't know if it belongs here or in a new post, but I just upgraded from libpng-1.5.5. to 1.5.6 (mostly amd64 with a few ~amd64) and got the (expected) message to run "revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14'" and then "rm '/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14'." Out of curiosity, I did "equery belongs /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14" and it said "media-libs/libpng-1.5.6."

Why would libpng-1.5.6 provide an old library just to tell you how to get rid of it?
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If no more compile errors occur you may remove the old /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14 from your system.

Sorry if my question seems a bit stupid but how do we know the difference beetweem the old and new libpng14.do14 ? Do we do that with emerge --depclean ?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:
Quote:
If no more compile errors occur you may remove the old /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14 from your system.

Sorry if my question seems a bit stupid but how do we know the difference beetweem the old and new libpng14.do14 ? Do we do that with emerge --depclean ?

I believe it means that the 14 is the old, while 15 is the new one. ^^
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genterminl wrote:
This is more a curiosity than a complaint, and I don't know if it belongs here or in a new post, but I just upgraded from libpng-1.5.5. to 1.5.6 (mostly amd64 with a few ~amd64) and got the (expected) message to run "revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14'" and then "rm '/usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14'." Out of curiosity, I did "equery belongs /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14" and it said "media-libs/libpng-1.5.6."

Why would libpng-1.5.6 provide an old library just to tell you how to get rid of it?

there's a small snippet about it in

Code:

man 5 make.conf

Code:

preserve-libs
                     Preserve  libraries when the sonames change during upgrade or downgrade.  Libraries are preserved only if consumers
                     of those libraries are detected.

the operative bit to google/search, "preserved libs" - havent found any detailed doc with a good explanation, just forum posts
egyptianbman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kami22 wrote:
Hi,

any solution with the broken cups package here? I am still trying to recompile cups, but always get the same phpcups error.

thank a lot.

Cu kami

I ran the following which allowed me to compile and move on for now. Make sure you remove that line later... it may be what gives cairo the web ui, using php -- not sure.

Code:
# echo "net-print/cups -php" >> /etc/portage/package.use
# emerge cups
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
Are you saying the current libpng-1.4 ebuilds are in someway incomplete and will also lead to a broken system?

No, I'm saying libpng-1.4 ebuilds in Portage are designed to install only libpng14.so.14 to be used only for binary-only applications that can't be rebuilt.
foobar23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Polynomial-C, mephinet and all who helped for this very good topic.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cach0rr0 - I haven't done a whole lot of reading either, but your pointing me to preserve-libs did make me think. After the upgrade, the old package was gone, so if the new one did not claim ownership of the older .so file, it would actually be an orphan, not owned by any package. This way, it would go away if I removed the package, assuming I don't follow the directions and manually delete it myself once I've rebuild those other packages still using the older version. I'm actually not sure if the new package actually installs the file, or just takes over ownership from the older package, but that's a portage internal issue that doesn't matter to me, as long as it works as planned.
dcljr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once you have identified the broken files, you can either delete them,
edit them in place and replace png14 with png15, or re-emerge the packages
they belong to.

For the "edit in place" option, surely there's a one-liner for that, too, that could be provided to the thicker among us? The best I could come up with "on short notice" was:
Code:
for i in `find /usr/ -name '*.la' -exec grep png14 {} + | cut -d ':' -f 1` ; do nano -w "$i" ; done

Sad, but true... Doing any better would've taken more "research time" than just using this method. :oops:

Someone please replace the "nano -w" part with something more efficient.... (Yes, there are still people running into this problem for the first time!)
cerddwr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Dependency Hell! Reply with quote

My Christmas "emerge -uvDN world" ground to a halt after libpng-1.5 had been installed, needless to say with the error message "cannot find -lpng14". I spent the best part of a day messing around, using the advice in this thread, or at least those bits I understood, but with no success. :evil: While pondering whether to reinstall Gentoo from scratch or ditch the whole thing and download a copy of Opensuse I tried this:

Code:
emerge -e world
revdep-rebuild

and it worked. :D My world update ran smoothly after that.
dahoste
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late to this party... but, I just wanted to log how I got through the libpng1.5* upgrade on one of my systems. It went pretty smoothly on most of my rigs, but I had a particularly stale one and it ground to a halt when it refused to build gnome-base/gdm (because of PNG-related confusion). Nothing I did could convince gdm to emerge successfully.

So, on a lark, I just cast a bigger net, thinking that something had slipped through a dependency crack.

Code:
qlist -I -C gnome | xargs -d '\n' emerge -vt1

Voila. gdm built fine, and that was the last of the linbpng1.4 debris.

Happy gentoo'ing. :)
Askesemann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I was stuck for some time with three packages that refused to be updated, throwing the "cannot find -lpng14" error. These were

dev-util/glade
gnome-extra/gnome-media
media-sound/rhythmbox

No matter how often I ran revdep-rebuild or the find thingy, they wouldn't compile - until I unmerged them and then merged them freshly. Then suddenly everything was fine. I still don't understand how this made a difference, but apparently it did.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: libpng14 and libpng15 nightmare Reply with quote

I upgraded to libpng 15 and removed libpng14 as per the instructions with revdep-rebuild. However many programs still require libpng14. I ran few times revdep-rebuild but it doesn't help. How do I link those programs to libpng15.

Code:
firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so:
libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

Code:
pidgin
pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
kate
kate: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Code:
ls -l /usr/lib/libpng*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     11 Mar  4 20:57 /usr/lib/libpng.so -> libpng15.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 165588 Mar  4 22:27 /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Mar  4 20:57 /usr/lib/libpng15.so -> libpng15.so.15.9.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Mar  4 20:57 /usr/lib/libpng15.so.15 -> libpng15.so.15.9.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 198308 Mar  4 20:57 /usr/lib/libpng15.so.15.9.0

I tried other commands proposed in other threads, but it doesn't seem to work.

Code:
grep -r "png14" /usr
grep: /usr/bin/python3: No such file or directory
Binary file /usr/bin/pbm2png matches
Binary file /usr/lib/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7.2 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/qt4/libQtGui.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/qt4/libQtGui.so.4 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libXm.so.4 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libcanberra-gtk.so.0.1.7 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-icns.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-wbmp.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-jpeg.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-ani.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-qtif.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-bmp.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-gif.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-ico.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-pcx.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-pnm.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-ras.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-tga.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xbm.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libcairomm-1.0.so.1.4.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so matches
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libsexy.pc:Libs.private: -pthread -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lcairo -lpng14 -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 -lxml2 
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libsexy.pc:Cflags: -I${includedir} -pthread -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng14 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/libxml2 
Binary file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.2400.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.5 matches
grep: warning: /usr/lib/firefox/bin: recursive directory loop
Binary file /usr/lib/libcairomm-1.0.so.1 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libkipiplugins.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libdigikamcore.so.1 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libXm.so.4.0.3 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libkipiplugins.so.1.0.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libcanberra-gtk.so.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so.0.0.7 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libcanberra-gtk.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/oosplash.bin matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libkipiplugins.so.1 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libXm.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libdigikamcore.so.1.0.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libdigikamcore.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libcairomm-1.0.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0.2400.0 matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libkhtml.so matches
Binary file /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.5.6.0 matches

Code:
[I] media-libs/libpng
     Available versions: 
        (1.2)   1.2.47
        (0)     1.5.8 1.5.9
        {apng neon static-libs}
     Installed versions:  1.2.47(1.2)(22:27:59 03/04/12) 1.5.9(20:57:28 03/04/12)(apng -neon -static-libs)
     Homepage:            http://www.libpng.org/
     Description:         Portable Network Graphics library

Partial solution was to emerge version 1.2.47 and link libpng12 to libpng14. Then pidgin worked, but other programs didn't.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
WvR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does revdep-rebuild tell you? In the case of broken packages, the usual solution is to rebuild __the package that complains__, i.e. in your case, if pidgin complains of a missing library, you have to rebuild pidgin. It should pull in all the required packages.

I remember some problems when moving from libpng14 to libpng15. It may be a solution to move to a newer version of those packages that are broken. You can do that by unmasking them. In general, MASKed packages are supposed to be not fully stable, so it is up to you to decide if you want to allow MASKed packages. I use several MASKed packages and to be honest, it does not really affect the stability of my computer.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WvR wrote:
What does revdep-rebuild tell you? In the case of broken packages, the usual solution is to rebuild __the package that complains__, i.e. in your case, if pidgin complains of a missing library, you have to rebuild pidgin. It should pull in all the required packages.

I remember some problems when moving from libpng14 to libpng15. It may be a solution to move to a newer version of those packages that are broken. You can do that by unmasking them. In general, MASKed packages are supposed to be not fully stable, so it is up to you to decide if you want to allow MASKed packages. I use several MASKed packages and to be honest, it does not really affect the stability of my computer.

I managed to solve parts of the problem. I emerged again gdk-pixbuf. So right now pidgin and firefox are working. However, kate, kshisen gives me the error
Code:
kshisen: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
and I don't want right now to upgrade to kde 4.7. I have right now 4.6.5.

Vlc also has an error:
Code:
 vlc
VLC media player 1.1.13 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x804c0d4] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80c1c24] [rc] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 1.1.13 The Luggage
Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
>

In the case of vlc, emerge vlc again doesn't help. I just get the ">" and not gui.
Code:
revdep-rebuild -i
 * Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

* Checking reverse dependencies
 * Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
 * will be emerged.

* Collecting system binaries and libraries
 * Generated new 1_files.rr
 * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
 * Checking dynamic linking consistency
[ 21% ]  *   broken /usr/bin/pbm2png (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 44% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 54% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/libXm.so.4.0.3 (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 56% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/libcairomm-1.0.so.1.4.0 (requires libpng14.so.14)
 *   broken /usr/lib/libcanberra-gtk.so.0.1.7 (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 57% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/libdigikamcore.so.1.0.0 (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 62% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.5.6.0 (requires libpng14.so.14)
 *   broken /usr/lib/libkipiplugins.so.1.0.0 (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 67% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/libspellli.so (requires libhunspell-1.2.so.0)
[ 68% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/oosplash.bin (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 82% ]  *   broken /usr/lib/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7.2 (requires libpng14.so.14)
[ 100% ]                 
 * Generated new 3_broken.rr
 * Assigning files to packages
 *   /usr/bin/pbm2png -> app-text/pdf2html
 *   /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so -> media-libs/libcanberra
 *   /usr/lib/libXm.so.4.0.3 -> x11-libs/openmotif
 *   /usr/lib/libcairomm-1.0.so.1.4.0 -> dev-cpp/cairomm
 *   /usr/lib/libcanberra-gtk.so.0.1.7 -> media-libs/libcanberra
 *   /usr/lib/libdigikamcore.so.1.0.0 -> media-gfx/digikam
 *   /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.5.6.0 -> kde-base/kdelibs
 *   /usr/lib/libkipiplugins.so.1.0.0 -> media-plugins/kipi-plugins
 *   /usr/lib/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/libspellli.so -> app-office/libreoffice
 *   /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/oosplash.bin -> app-office/libreoffice
 *   /usr/lib/qt4/libQtGui.so.4.7.2 -> x11-libs/qt-gui
 * Generated new 4_raw.rr and 4_owners.rr
 * Cleaning list of packages to rebuild
 * Generated new 4_pkgs.rr
 * Assigning packages to ebuilds
 * Generated new 4_ebuilds.rr
 * Evaluating package order
 * Generated new 5_order.rr
 * All prepared. Starting rebuild
emerge --complete-graph=y --oneshot --autounmask=n  app-office/libreoffice:0 app-text/pdf2html:0 dev-cpp/cairomm:0 kde-base/kdelibs:4 media-gfx/digikam:4 media-libs/libcanberra:0 media-plugins/kipi-plugins:4 x11-libs/openmotif:0 x11-libs/qt-gui:4
Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy ">=kde-base/marble-4.7:4[aqua=,plasma]".
!!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
- kde-base/marble-4.7.4::gentoo (Change USE: +plasma)
(dependency required by "media-gfx/digikam-2.4.1" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "media-gfx/digikam:4" [argument])
 * Build finished correctly. Removing temporary files...
 * You can re-run revdep-rebuild to verify that all libraries and binaries
 * are fixed. Possible reasons for remaining inconsistencies include:
 *   orphaned files
 *   deep dependencies
 *   packages installed outside of portage's control
 *   specially-evaluated libraries

Code:
 cat /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libpng.pc
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include/libpng15

Name: libpng
Description: Loads and saves PNG files
Version: 1.5.9
Libs: -L${libdir} -lpng15
Libs.private: -lm -lz -lm
Cflags: -I${includedir}

I'd like somehow to revert to libpng 14 but it doesn't appear anymore in portage. I have the distfiles/libpng-1.4.8.

How do I make portage to see 1.4.8. version?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins ! !! !

You mention other threads and commands, but not specifically which?
Did you stumble upon this one yet?
As for the old version, you would need an overlay I think, such as a local one, but I would recommend upgrading.
I think you should be able to update everything just fine, as long as you have the patience for it. ^^
WvR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen, note that your revdep-rebuild does not rebuild anything. There is an error related to one of the USE-flags on one of your packages. Unless you fix that USE-flag revdep-rebuild will not rebuild the necessary packages.
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Teegrins ! !! !

You mention other threads and commands, but not specifically which?
Did you stumble upon this one yet?
As for the old version, you would need an overlay I think, such as a local one, but I would recommend upgrading.
I think you should be able to update everything just fine, as long as you have the patience for it. ^^

Yes, I stumbled upon this one.

Code:
emerge -1av $(find /usr -name "*.la" -exec grep -H png14 {} \; | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs qfile -Cq | sort | uniq)
was a total disaster. Nothing came up after 5 min so I ran ctrl C.

Usually, I have patience, but this time, I am busy and just hoped to leave the kde upgrade and libpng as is, just to have a stable system, until I will find some time to upgrade.

Right now, I don't have even kde anymore. kdeinit4 fails to load due to libpng14. My mistake was that I removed libpng14 per the instruction after revdep-rebuild. which overlay you suggest?

BTW, I have other system that still has libpng14 and I intend to copy it to the broken system. Is there anything else I should do?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: