snes emulator without x11?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALF__
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: snes emulator without x11? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Im trying to create my own flavor of a multimediapc / gameconsole..

no need for any fancy front end or such.

I want to play music and radio from it via a webinterface and no need for a screen hooked up. i seem to have solved that!

but i also want a SNES emulator on it just to play my old favorites from that era! is there any emu´s out there that does not need x11 or KDE and such?

Just so i can run it directly from the commandline
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd have to be something that displays with the framebuffer. I can't say I've heard of such an emulator that displays that way.
Tariella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe zsnes works with framebuffer but I never tried it myself.
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: snes emulator without x11? Reply with quote

ALF__ wrote:
Hello everyone!

Im trying to create my own flavor of a multimediapc / gameconsole..

no need for any fancy front end or such.

I want to play music and radio from it via a webinterface and no need for a screen hooked up. i seem to have solved that!

but i also want a SNES emulator on it just to play my old favorites from that era! is there any emu´s out there that does not need x11 or KDE and such?

Just so i can run it directly from the commandline

Unless you are severely memory or disk space starved, it might be better just to install a minimal X setup, and to launch zsnes without any window manager under X.You could build a script that will launch zsnes with no window manager, you play your game, and when it exits you'll end up back on the linux console.

You used to be able to run zsnes under svgalib (or was it snes9x?) but I don't think they support it any more and I also don't think that svgalib is well supported on modern systems.If you can find a snes emulator that runs under SDL, you should be able to compile SDL with framebuffer support.It's pretty likely that at least some versions of snes9x will run under a SDL framebuffer.I know that there are ports to handheld consoles that run with SDL + framebuffer, but I don't know if there are any x86 versions that support this.
VanFanel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For SNES emulation, please use BSNES. It's 0.59 by now, but it's BY FAR the best Snes emulator available on Linux.
Snes9x and ZSNES use an old, hacked SPU emulation that really doesn't make the SNES sound justice: it lacks proper timming and most games show bad rithms in music and strange sound effects. It's something you can verify in snes9x and zsnes forums: those emulators are going to use Blargg's sound engine in their next versions, but current versions just sound bad.

That said, you can compile BSNES for SDL wich in turn supports DirectFB and FBDev backends, wich will allow what you want. Anyway, you need a working accelerated framebuffer for that. If you've a radeon card, you're ready (with a proper kernel, of course), but if you're into NVidia with a modern card, you're out of luck as the nvidiafb in kernel doesn't support most modern nvidia chips.

regards
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..you're out of luck as the nvidiafb in kernel doesn't support most modern nvidia chips.

nvidiafb most certainly doesn't work for newer cards, but uvesa works just fine with nVidia cards for framebuffer.
kontrapunkt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to get a netbook I want to run without GUI, however I'm not sure yet if it will have gentoo as OS.
Additionally having a handheld NES or SNES would be nice, if possible.
About what would be minimum requirements to run it including everything needed (such as the mentioned minimal X setup)? i.e. spare HD space, RAM, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: