View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: keyboard disconnects in multiseat conf Reply with quote

hello,

I have a multi seat conf of 2 seats, the primary one is working well, the secondary however doesn't.
it is composed of ati5450, 37' LG tv and microsoft wireless 800 keyboards + 1000 mouse.

when I boot the computer, I see the login screen in the tv, the mouse is moving (jerky but moving) but most of the time the keyboard doesn't work at all or partially.

getting it close to the receiver doesn't seems to solves it.

here are my confs
.config: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/473571/
/etc/X11/xorg.conf: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/473574/
/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/473575/
/var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/473576/
/var/log/Xorg.1.log: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/473577/
emerge --info x11-base/xorg-server: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/473578/

any ideas? I'd like to solve the jerkiness too in the way of it is possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by DaggyStyle on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems that xorg is trying to use the wireless mouse as keyboard too and the keyboard as mouse, is there a way to prevent that?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken the same hw and plugged it into a windows running laptop, tried from a bigger distance and it worked, so it either my config or the driver is not working correctly.

any hints?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop define your keyboard/mouse within xorg.conf, it doesn't work that well, you can't see it because you use a qwerty keyboard, but when i have tried define that way an "fr" keyboard, all my attempts were ignore.

you should define your keyboard/mouse as xorg expect them, from udev configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
per example not define your keyboard specifically, but any keyboard or mouse it could find, as for now your xorg is not allow to add devices and your xorg.log.0 show it doesn't add the mouse device because it add Mouse0 as you wish next to that it add Keyboard0 as you wish, find that keyboard0 is not a keyboard but a transmetter and when trying to add devices attach to it, it cannot because of AutoAddDevices setting
see:
Code:

[    19.984] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
[    19.997] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Microsoft Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v8.0 (/dev/input/mouse0)
[    19.997] (II) AutoAddDevices is off - not adding device.

the explain exist, but i admit it cannot be found that easy as the link itself doesn't exist from the doc pages : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
(to my knowledge it didn't change since 1.8, but i admit it might not be the case for xorg-1.11 as i didn't install it yet)

For me, stop restrict udev from using the devices, define general rules for keyboard/mouse and let evdev handle everything, you'll see it will be able to tell who is who and make them work.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d doesn't support multi seat, so I must use xorg.conf

another strange issue, if I replace the receiver's usb port with another, the mouse doesn't work at all.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've connected the wireless receiver to another usb port, now both keyboard and mouse doesn't work, but I see this in Xorg.1.log:
Code:
[    18.783] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Mouse1'
[    18.783] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[    18.783] (**) Option "CorePointer"
[    18.783] (**) Mouse1: always reports core events
[    18.783] (**) Mouse1: Device: "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Microsoft_Microsoft®_2.4GHz_Transceiver_v8.0-mouse"
[    18.783] (EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[    18.811] (EE) PreInit returned 8 for "Mouse1"
[    18.811] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[    18.811] (II) Unloading evdev

maybe this is a symptom
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He cannot use AutoAddDevices because AutoAddDevices only works on single-seat machines.

If you use a multi-seat setup, you have to define everything in xorg.conf.

Have these peripherals ever worked under Linux?

Try removing your Xorg.conf and booting into a single-seat config for a change and see if they work properly.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to not just define the keybord/mouse but also add the transmitter too then (if you doubt try autoadd device, record any device found while doing it, the input events, and add all of them in the xorg.conf that refer to the transmitter)
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingufunkybeat wrote:
He cannot use AutoAddDevices because AutoAddDevices only works on single-seat machines.

If you use a multi-seat setup, you have to define everything in xorg.conf.

Have these peripherals ever worked under Linux?

Try removing your Xorg.conf and booting into a single-seat config for a change and see if they work properly.

yes, when dropping to console, both keyboards work and as far as I can remember, if I boot a livecd, both mouses works

krinn wrote:
Try to not just define the keybord/mouse but also add the transmitter too then (if you doubt try autoadd device, record any device found while doing it, the input events, and add all of them in the xorg.conf that refer to the transmitter)

not sure I follow...
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the weird characters in the path are confusing it?

Can you try using a different path (/dev/input/by-path ) for debugging?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingufunkybeat wrote:
Maybe the weird characters in the path are confusing it?

Can you try using a different path (/dev/input/by-path ) for debugging?

yes, I'm using a path now and it doesn't seems to work
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing you should do is start X without xorg.conf and see whether all mice and keyboards work automagically. If they do, take a look at Xorg.0.log (post it here for future reference) and see which /dev/input/event* devices it used. Some hardware creates several device files and not all of them are relevant. Also, not all of them have entries in /dev/input/by-id, so you may need to use /dev/input/by-path and never change ports. YMMV.

When you have identified the relevant event devices, use the multiseat xorg.conf with them. After everything works, use 'ls -l /dev/input/by-{id,path}' to find symlinks to the those /dev/input/event files. As you surely know (but others may not), event* files shouldn't be used regularly as they change all the time. But for the first time, it's best to use them directly.

I took a look at your xorg.conf and noted some pecularities. I'm not at home currently and don't have access to my system so this is all from memory and can be wrong. I believe you should set AutoEnableDevices to "true", but leave AutoAddDevices as "false". And I don't think GrabDevice entries are necessary, unless you have another reason to use them of course.

I'll have my xorg.conf available next week, although I hope you can resolve this in the meantime. Good luck!
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExZombie wrote:
The first thing you should do is start X without xorg.conf and see whether all mice and keyboards work automagically. If they do, take a look at Xorg.0.log (post it here for future reference) and see which /dev/input/event* devices it used. Some hardware creates several device files and not all of them are relevant. Also, not all of them have entries in /dev/input/by-id, so you may need to use /dev/input/by-path and never change ports. YMMV.

When you have identified the relevant event devices, use the multiseat xorg.conf with them. After everything works, use 'ls -l /dev/input/by-{id,path}' to find symlinks to the those /dev/input/event files. As you surely know (but others may not), event* files shouldn't be used regularly as they change all the time. But for the first time, it's best to use them directly.

I took a look at your xorg.conf and noted some pecularities. I'm not at home currently and don't have access to my system so this is all from memory and can be wrong. I believe you should set AutoEnableDevices to "true", but leave AutoAddDevices as "false". And I don't think GrabDevice entries are necessary, unless you have another reason to use them of course.

I'll have my xorg.conf available next week, although I hope you can resolve this in the meantime. Good luck!

I have tried that, it works well, as I've said before, when disabling multiseat, all inputs work well.

output of ls -l /dev/input/by-{id,path} is the following:
Code:
/dev/input/by-id:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Lite-On_Technology_USB_Productivity_Option_Keyboard__has_the_hub_in_#_1__-event-if01 -> ../event9
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Lite-On_Technology_USB_Productivity_Option_Keyboard__has_the_hub_in_#_1__-event-kbd -> ../event8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Logitech_USB_Optical_Mouse-event-mouse -> ../event6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Logitech_USB_Optical_Mouse-mouse -> ../mouse1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Microsoft_Microsoft®_2.4GHz_Transceiver_v8.0-event-kbd -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Microsoft_Microsoft®_2.4GHz_Transceiver_v8.0-event-mouse -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Microsoft_Microsoft®_2.4GHz_Transceiver_v8.0-mouse -> ../mouse0

/dev/input/by-path:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.1:1.0-event-kbd -> ../event2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.1:1.1-event-mouse -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.1:1.1-mouse -> ../mouse0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.1:1.2-event-kbd -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.3.1:1.0-event-kbd -> ../event8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.3.1:1.1-event -> ../event9
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.4:1.0-event-mouse -> ../event6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 pci-0000:00:1a.0-usb-0:1.4:1.0-mouse -> ../mouse1

notice that I have three entries for the wireless inputs, I suspect that this isn't right.
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at my xorg.conf and saw that indeed I don't set 'GrabDevice', but I do set 'SendCoreEvents' for the mice. It might help, although I'm sceptical since it does nothing for the keyboard issues.

You still haven't posted the Xorg.0.log for the "ordinary", single-seat configuration. Since both mouse and keyboard work there it may give us a clue to the proper configuration.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExZombie wrote:
I took a look at my xorg.conf and saw that indeed I don't set 'GrabDevice', but I do set 'SendCoreEvents' for the mice. It might help, although I'm sceptical since it does nothing for the keyboard issues.

You still haven't posted the Xorg.0.log for the "ordinary", single-seat configuration. Since both mouse and keyboard work there it may give us a clue to the proper configuration.

will do, can you post your xorg.conf please?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

single seat Xorg.0.log: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/479327/

updated multiseat xorg.conf: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/479306/
updated multiseat kdmrc: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/479307/
updated multiseat Xorg.0.log: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/479303/
updated multiseat Xorg.1.log: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/479305/

both keyboards and mouse works perfectly.
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very little time ATM so I have only skimmed through your logs quickly and haven't posted my xorg.conf since it needs some cleaning first. I might do it later today, but no promises. In the meantime I might have found the issue, please try the following.

Your new Xorg.1.log is rather useless since it can't find your gfx card. You must have pasted the wrong file :) . But anyway, closer inspection of the single-seat log reveals that three devices are being configured for the wireless inputs, not just two. Taking a look at /dev/input symlink lists you posted earlier, you can see only two relevant symlinks:
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Microsoft_Microsoft®_2.4GHz_Transceiver_v8.0-event-kbd -> ../event4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Sep 16 00:23 usb-Microsoft_Microsoft®_2.4GHz_Transceiver_v8.0-event-mouse -> ../event3

Device numbers are different, you probably rebooted in the meantime, but it doesn't matter. It is as I said earlier: not all devices get their symlinks.

The lack of a symlink for the third device is a problem, but let's ignore it for now to see if we can nail down some kind of working configuration. First, configure the wireless devices with three InputDevice sections of the form
Code:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier     "wireless1"
   Driver         "evdev"
   Option         "Device" "/dev/input/event7"
EndSection

and nothing else. That is, refer to the /dev/input/event? devices directly. This can only work until the next reboot, but it will suffice for testing.
Secondly, all three devices are a mashup of mice and keyboards, so don't specify their type explicitly. Instead, have your ServerLayout of the form
Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "Seat1"
   Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0
   InputDevice    "wireless1"
   InputDevice    "wireless2"
   InputDevice    "wireless3"
EndSection

I'm pretty sure it's not necessary to specify any other device options.

If this works, a solution for the lack of a symlink will have to be found. I guess some udev rule magic is possible, but let's leave that for another time.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange, the second log does seems bad.

I'll try this at home later, thanks
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried what you've suggested, I get a stranger behavior.

first of, the the first seat (non problematic) works well, the keyboard in the second works but the mouse don't.
but that isn't the bigger issue, the bigger issue is that I have multi seat but when the primary logs into an account, the secondary auto logsin into an alternative session of the same user.

to sum it yup, kdm is shared, the login user is shared too but the session is individual.

here are logs and confs.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/480685/
/var/log/Xorg.1.log: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/480686/
/etc/X11/xorg.conf: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/480687/
/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/480688/
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to make the mouse work but I've identified the problem (so I think)

for some reason there is no separation between the seats.
e.g. every keystroke I do in seat0 (the working non wireless one) is visible in seat1, I think that the jerky mouse is a result of the transmission of movement of input from seat0 to seat1.
but, this isn't vice versa, I don't see seat1 keystrokes in seat0 and no jerky mouse too.

I think it is related to the shared vts in kdmrc.

I'm trying a different kdm config and will report
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to make it work but the mouse was jerky from time to time and the keyboard was ignoring signals.

next week I'll go to visit my folks and will swap that crappy ms shit with a logitech wireless combo MK250 hoping I can get this thing work.
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

For the record, I only specify 'sharevts' for the second seat, i.e.
Code:

[X-:0-Core]
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -layout seat1 -br -ac vt12

[X-:1-Core]
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -layout seat2 -br -ac -sharevts vt12

It provides all the separation needed.

I agree that getting different hardware is the best option. But it does make me a bit sad that for once, automagic knows better than a human :( . I wish there was a way to make xorg dump a config file that would store the current configuration...
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExZombie wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

For the record, I only specify 'sharevts' for the second seat, i.e.
Code:

[X-:0-Core]
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -layout seat1 -br -ac vt12

[X-:1-Core]
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -layout seat2 -br -ac -sharevts vt12

It provides all the separation needed.

I agree that getting different hardware is the best option. But it does make me a bit sad that for once, automagic knows better than a human :( . I wish there was a way to make xorg dump a config file that would store the current configuration...

I'll take that in mind, thanks
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, after trying the mk250, I get better response but it is still not working right, I get response delays most of the time.

I've tried your config but it didn't worked at all, I'm currently using the following configs:
kdmrc http://paste.pocoo.org/show/489132/
xorg.conf http://paste.pocoo.org/show/489133/
Xorg.0.log http://paste.pocoo.org/show/489134/
Xorg.1.log http://paste.pocoo.org/show/489135/

can you please upload your configs?

also, second seat is running vb inside of openbox, when I shut openbox where, it crashes seat 0, I see the cursor blinking in te top left corner and the X mouse cursor.

what am I doing wrong?
ExZombie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/489312/
I rewrote the identifiers to make them more meaningful and I hope I didn't introduce any mistakes.
I have to use by-path symlinks since the keyboards and mice are the same models and they overwrite each others by-id links. You can also see that I have two keyboards per seat since the "special" keys on the keyboards present themselves as a separate keyboard.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: