View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: no 3D acceleration on GeForce FX 5200 Reply with quote

Ok, so this is the problem, I'm trying to get 3d acceleration setup on my GeForce FX 5200.. all the posts and desktop guides I've read to do this say I need to edit my /etc/X11/xorg.conf... Which doesn't appear to exist on my system, I've asked around and have heard I'm not supposed to have to create one. Also, if I try to emerge nvidia-drivers, x won't work until I unmerge. Probably a noob question but everybody had to start somewhere right? Where do we begin?

Last edited by haxle on Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
<3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need xorg.conf anymore, the man pages need to be updated.

The first thing you should start with is posting the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 wrote:
You shouldn't need xorg.conf anymore

For the nvidia driver you do. But not a full one, just four lines is enough:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Nvidia Card"
    Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Otherwise you're right, the gentoo nvidia documentation is outdated.
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log
paste can be seen here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/469661

Now as of right now I've got a working X desktop using slim and xfce, but like I said if i try to compile the kernel like the NVIDIA guide says, I can't get it working unless I --unmerge nvidia-drivers. Honestly I'm just trying to get the best performance out of the card that I can.

Last edited by haxle on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall nouveau, and also remove it from the kernel. Then install nvidia-drivers and create an xorg.conf containing just the four lines I wrote above.

Oh, I just saw which card you have. You need a specific nvidia-drivers version then, nvidia-drivers-173.14.31 to be exact, other versions won't work for you.
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so.. tried that and screen went black and into standby mode before I got to login when booting kernel without builtin nouveau here's xorg.0.log.old for that
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/469747

And I had to reboot kernel with nouveau support and of course now x won't start, but I'm assuming that's because nouveau and nvidia-drivers don't like each other, but here's xorg log just in case..
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/469749

Wrong driver? Or was I supposed to put GeForce FX 5200 where NVIDIA card is in my .conf?
<3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just going on a limb, did the nvidia kernel module load properly during boot up? Have you tried re-emerging nvidia-drivers? Also what version of the nvidia-driver do you have installed? According to the Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide you should not be running a driver version greater than 173.x
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

173.14.31 is the version I emerged and that was probably the fifth time trying...
The NVIDIA guide said not to compile the kernel module because nvidia-drivers clashed with it.. I thought?

# modprobe nvidia
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.39-hardened-r8/video
/nvidia.ko): Cannot allocate memory
#

Last edited by haxle on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
<3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok your problem lies with that. try re-emerging it.
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already tried 173.14.31, 173.14.30, and 173.14.28 before posting this..
Same fatal error with all three versions
<3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not giving you an error during emerge, and you followed the install instructions then I'm not sure. You did reboot into the new kernel right after you rebuilt it right (after following the nVidia install guide)? Did you remember to copy the new kernel image over? What is the output of emerge --info?
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, made sure to copy the kernel image over, and set the new kernel image to gentoo (test) in my grub.conf so it would load the new one, and when it did I got a black screen and the monitor light went from green to yellow...

Code:

Pegasus ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.10.11 (hardened/linux/x86, gcc-4.4.5, glibc-2.13-r4, 2.6.39-hardened-r8 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.39-hardened-r8-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_4_CPU_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.3
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 02:15:01 +0000
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p10
dev-lang/python:          2.7.2-r2, 3.1.3-r1
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.5-r2
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.26
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.0.3
sys-apps/openrc:          0.8.3-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.5
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.68
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.1-r1
sys-devel/binutils:       2.21.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:            4.4.5
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.4.1-r1
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4-r1
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 2.6.36.1 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.13-r4
Repositories: gentoo
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles fixpackages news parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
FFLAGS=""
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext Ogpm X acl alsa bash-completion berkdb branding bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cups custom-optimization cxx dbus dri ffmpeg gdbm gimp gpm gtk hardened iconv ipc jpeg lock mad modules mp3 mpeg mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl openmp pam pax_kernel pcre perl pic png pppd python qt3support qt4 readline sasl session sqlite ssl sysfs tcpd thunar udev unicode urandom wavpack win32codecs x86 xorg zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa ifloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan stage tables krita karbon braindump" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" PHP_TARGETS="php5-3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

.... but the memory allocation error only comes up whenever I'm booted with the kernel that has nouveau support built in... because I can't see anything when I boot without it... I'll try modprobing nvidia through ssh whenever the screen goes black..... ok yea that didn't work either.. same memory allocation error.
barul
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even for nvidia we don't need xorg.conf anymore, but a very similar file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
waebbl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is outdated (last update was in 2006 8O), but have you read the xorg on hardened gentoo doc? (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedxorg.xml). There seems to be some pitfalls to using X and binary drivers with a hardened profile.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0k wrote:
Even for nvidia we don't need xorg.conf anymore, but a very similar file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

xorg.conf and files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ are equivalent.
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so

Quote:

Maybe this is outdated (last update was in 2006 8O), but have you read the xorg on hardened gentoo doc? (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardenedxorg.xml). There seems to be some pitfalls to using X and binary drivers with a hardened profile.

means that I won't be able to use nvidia-drivers on hardened gentoo at all... so how do I get 3D acceleration with nouveau then? I can't run glxgears at all right now..

Code:

haxle@Pegasus ~ $ glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
haxle@Pegasus ~ $

EDIT: ok so I found this thread...
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-842824-start-0.html
still trying to tinker with a few of the settings.. If i'm misunderstanding the usage of glxgears as a 3d acceleration monitor then please correct me..
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so I've already tried using in-kernel nouveau drm because that's what I'm doing now.. so I'm gonna try and get the ebuild running to see if that helps any...

UPDATE:
CONFIG_DRM: should not be set. But it is.
CONFIG_MXM_WMI: is not set when it should be.
Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
Once you have satisfied these options, please try merging this package again.

Rebuilding kernel and trying ebuild..

EDIT:
ok well... searching my menuconfig for CONFIG_MXM_WMI and MXM_WMI shows no matches...
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haxle wrote:
CONFIG_DRM: should not be set. But it is.

Of course it should be. It's a dependency of nouveau. Activate DRM and STAGING, then you should be able to select nouveau. All the other stuff (including FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE and MXM_WMI) should then get selected automatically, make sure that it really is. Then you need to be in the video group and have xf86-video-nouveau installed. And remove all the conf files you've set up for nvidia.
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I disabled nouveau drm in kernel and now I get this...

CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT is not set when it should be.
CONFIG_MXM_WMI is not set when it should be.

the I2C_ALGOBIT part when searched via '/' in menuconfig points to I2C and then bit banging support or something, which isn't there when i go to the submenu it points to and MXM_WMI doesn't show any matches at all..

I'm just about stumped..
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Quote:

Of course it should be. It's a dependency of nouveau.

I understand that, but when I posted that I was just showing you guys what my terminal was posting to me when I was trying to emerge x11-base/nouveau-drm-20110820. From what I understand you can either have nouveau drm built into the kernel or just build the ebuild.. course.. the ebuild may have been left behind in the wayside after it was built into the kernel.. was trying to get 3D - acceleration going because when i setup X the way you instructed, which was the way I had it originally I don't appear to have any acceleration. At this point though it doesn't really appear that anything I was trying was going anywhere so I suppose I'll just go back to the way it was and try and do some more research on nouveau 3D acceleration...
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the in-kernel driver, it'll automatically select all it needs. By using the ebuild this does not happen - hence the errors you're getting. Drop the ebuild and use the in-kernel driver.
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's what I started out with..

Code:

haxle@Pegasus ~ $ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

and...

Code:

Pegasus haxle # glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

Is what was making me think I didn't have any 3D acceleration.. so what do I do about that?
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does nouveau actually work? As in, you get a high-res console? And is X actually running with nouveau or is it running on vesa?
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your post on another users similar problem, so I uninstalled Vesa and fbdev and x is still running, so I'm assuming its nouveau
haxle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in my Xorg.0.log and I'm pretty sure this is the issue... but I have no idea how to fix it...

Code:

[    23.578] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_get_proc_address)
[    23.578] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[    23.588] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
[    23.630] (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_get_proc_address)
[    23.630] (EE) GLX: could not load software renderer
[    23.630] (II) GLX: no usable GL providers found for screen 0
[    23.680] (II) NOUVEAU(0): NVEnterVT is called.
[    23.681] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting screen physical size to 338 x 270
[    23.681] resize called 1280 1024
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: