[SOLVED] login manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
densebeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] login manager Reply with quote

new to gentoo. got everything installed OK (xserver, fluxbox etc) on eeepc 1000. My problem came up when I installed a login manager (slim). It doesn't recognize my keyboard correctly. my username michael types out 03chae2. So I can't login. I thought to change back to xdm via Rescue but /etc/conf.d/xdm mounts 'read only'
Need help getting rid of slim
thx
m

within 'Rescue' i was able to CTL-ALT-F2 to a different tty and log in as root, emere --unmerge slim and change /etc/conf.d back to 'xdm'

I never noticed this before but the eeepc keyboard has 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 key on M,J,K,L,U,I,O keys, respectively. Slim was reading the 0-6 keys rather than the M-O keys.

Gonna google this issue, I really like slim and would like to use it if I can figure out this keymapping thing. If not, look for a new forum post

m

Last edited by densebeast on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you can't mount your partition rw from the gentoo cd... but if you want to boot and skip xdm, press I to enter interactive mode when it says to do so. From there you can choose to start or not start each service. Don't start xdm, and you should be able to log in on the console.

(Also pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 will work if you have configured X to listen for it. The newer X configuration doesn't allow switching to the virtual consoles with that key combo by default.)
_brian_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
if you want to boot and skip xdm, press I to enter interactive mode when it says to do so. From there you can choose to start or not start each service. Don't start xdm, and you should be able to log in on the console.

(Also pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 will work if you have configured X to listen for it. The newer X configuration doesn't allow switching to the virtual consoles with that key combo by default.)

If you do the 'press I' method, remember to set RC_INTERACTIVE="yes" in /etc/conf.d/rc

Also, the CTRL+ALT+F keys work by default for me, it is not something I added (F1-F6 console, F7 return to X), and I've just installed X on this machine a couple weeks ago :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: