Intel HD 3000
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Intel HD 3000 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am considering to buy HP EliteBook 2540p or similar with Intel HD 3000 graphics but I wonder how it behaves under compiz on external monitor (1920x1080) for example.

Anyone has such configuration and if yes, how does glxgears perform?

Thank you and kinds regards,

Rok
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Intel HD 2000 on my desktop and have had no trouble connecting it to different monitors or using desktop effects under KDE (equivalent to compiz). Performance is smooth and stable. Configuration was easy, just make sure you have the right settings as per http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml and X should be able to auto-configure itself.
DirtyHairy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thinkpad T420 with HD3000 integrated graphics, and I have no complaints. I am using KDE with kwin compositing, and it works as smoothly as I could wish, also including suspend and such. Just make sure that you are using the latest components of the graphics stack: kernel (I was getting very rare hangs before 3.0.0), xf86-video-intel, libdrm and mesa.
arhenius
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DirtyHairy

Quote:
Just make sure that you are using the latest components of the graphics stack: kernel (I was getting very rare hangs before 3.0.0), xf86-video-intel, libdrm and mesa.

I recently brought a Toshiba Tecra (R850) and gentoo is experiencing a lot of freezes and hangs. I suspect this is due to the Intel GPU.

Usually the system hangs totally (i.e. no response for mouse or keyboard), also the fans go on high speed after a minute or so after hanging. Sometimes the screen simply freezes, other times there is a black screen only with a yellow/orange line at one of the screen's borders. Last time it hanged I could see my desktop but with a lot of flickering. Were theses the symptoms you were experiencing with the 2.6.* kernel?

If so, would you tell me the version of gentoo-sources, xf85-video-intel, libdrm and mesa you currently have? Did you have to select any particular option on the kernel or use some i945 instruction in the kernel boot line? Also, do you use any configuration file for the GPU in xorg.conf.d?

Thanks in advance.
Filipe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: