View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Flash does not work in Opera 11.50 on amd64 Reply with quote

Flash does not currently work in Opera 11.50, on my amd64 system.

With adobe-flash-10.3.183.5+nspluginwrapper, opera does not recognize the plugin as being there at all - a "missing plugin" message appears.

With the latest adobe-flash-11.0.1.60_beta201108082, all flash content is just a blank, black square.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

SOLVED - just create a symlink from the 32bit flashplayer to opera's plugin folder.

Last edited by epsilon72 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! And I'm tired of it.
Opera and flash don't work together at least for half an year already.There are some fixes in the forum, but i don't care anymore, I'm slowly abandoning opera (flash is not the only problem).I have six browsers installed (not counting console ones) and only opera gives me constant headaches :?
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is though, flash 11 works just fine with opera on my Debian Squeeze system. I even downloaded and extracted the tarball from opera's website on the Gentoo machine, ran it, and it still didn't work...something funky must be going on with one of its dependencies.

I suppose though that a better test would be to see whether or not flash+opera works on a Debian wheezy/sid system, as it will more closely resemble gentoo.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
The funny thing is though, flash 11 works just fine with opera on my Debian Squeeze system. I even downloaded and extracted the tarball from opera's website on the Gentoo machine, ran it, and it still didn't work...something funky must be going on with one of its dependencies.

I suppose though that a better test would be to see whether or not flash+opera works on a Debian wheezy/sid system, as it will more closely resemble gentoo.

Yes 'flash & opera' tandem is easier with binary distros.Obviously the devs are targeting non source based distributions;)
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flash does not work in Opera 11.50 on amd64 Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:

Welcome to the club
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flash does not work in Opera 11.50 on amd64 Reply with quote

aCOSwt wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:

Welcome to the club

I tried recompiling cairo without qt4 support to no effect. Opera isn't giving any meaningful console output either - all it gives is unrelated and unimportant gtk messages about the locale.
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested Opera + Flash in Arch, and with the same Flash and Opera versions that Gentoo has, Flash+Opera in Arch works.

Now I'm really confused...what could possibly be breaking Opera+Flash in Gentoo? Some custom, Gentoo-specific patch, somewhere in one of the dependencies? :?

edit: Wait, no, HOLD ON A SEC. Flash + Opera works just fine in my Gentoo VM, which is running the same software as my gentoo box, with one exception -

The gentoo box is using the nvidia drivers!

You two who have posted in this thread about having the same problem - are you using an nvidia gpu?
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
I just tested Opera + Flash in Arch, and with the same Flash and Opera versions that Gentoo has, Flash+Opera in Arch works.

Now I'm really confused...what could possibly be breaking Opera+Flash in Gentoo? Some custom, Gentoo-specific patch, somewhere in one of the dependencies? :?

edit: Wait, no, HOLD ON A SEC. Flash + Opera works just fine in my Gentoo VM, which is running the same software as my gentoo box, with one exception -

You two who have posted in this thread about having the same problem - are you using an nvidia gpu?

Yes i'm using nvidia.
And if opera can't bear nvidia cards it will be the last straw :roll:
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:

Yes i'm using nvidia.
And if opera can't bear nvidia cards it will be the last straw :roll:

I read in another thread that it's a regression in the nvidia drivers, that the 260.* series works fine. That's strange that it is ONLY in Gentoo, though. I wonder what gentoo-specific problem is occuring with 270.* and above? I'd sooner blame nvidia's crappy binary driver than the opera team, although they aren't entirely blameless.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
I'd sooner blame nvidia's crappy binary driver than the opera team, although they aren't entirely blameless.

Well, Every other browser that I have works fine (chromium, konnqueror, rekonq, firefox, seamonkey).
You can't seriously expect special nvidia drivers for opera. :wink:
waebbl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using opera for a couple of months by now and never had problems related to flash, even though flash is currently available in 32bit only, it runs fine in my 64bit opera browser. I'm using opera-11.50.1074, adobe-flash-10.3.183.5 and nvidia-drivers-275.09.07. I switched to unstable nvidia-drivers just a week ago but it worked before using the stable 270.* (and earlier) series.
Might your problems be related to some 32-/64-bit issues, i.e. a no-multilib profile?
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waebbl wrote:
I'm using opera for a couple of months by now and never had problems related to flash, even though flash is currently available in 32bit only, it runs fine in my 64bit opera browser. I'm using opera-11.50.1074, adobe-flash-10.3.183.5 and nvidia-drivers-275.09.07. I switched to unstable nvidia-drivers just a week ago but it worked before using the stable 270.* (and earlier) series.
Might your problems be related to some 32-/64-bit issues, i.e. a no-multilib profile?

Really? How did you get it to work? Whenever I tried this, Opera wasn't able to find the npwrapper plugin, which by default goes to ~/.mozilla/plugins after 'nspluginwrapper -i <path to libflash.so>. Where do you have yours?

@Kollin: I have been disappointed by nvidia repeatedly in the past so I must admit that I am quite biased against them :)
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:

@Kollin: I have been disappointed by nvidia repeatedly in the past so I must admit that I am quite biased against them :)

Don't worry ;) Ihave same state of mind towards Opera.It used to be my favorite browser, but since 10.0 came out, It's linux64 behavior is totally unpredictable.And not only flash, some pages are rendered incorrectly (especially when javascript is involved) and this problem is years old! :roll:
waebbl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
Really? How did you get it to work? Whenever I tried this, Opera wasn't able to find the npwrapper plugin, which by default goes to ~/.mozilla/plugins after 'nspluginwrapper -i <path to libflash.so>. Where do you have yours?

Sadly, I can't remember how I did this. I remember having a little trouble at the beginning after I switched to opera. Possibly I used a hack, did the link manually instead of using nspluginwrapper, but I'm not sure about this. I have a link in /usr/lib64/opera/plugins like
Code:
ls -l /usr/lib64/opera/plugins/
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 137 Jun 27 12:53 README
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  50 Jul 18 21:00 libflashplayer.so -> /opt/Adobe/flash-player32/plugin/libflashplayer.so
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waebbl wrote:
epsilon72 wrote:

Sadly, I can't remember how I did this. I remember having a little trouble at the beginning after I switched to opera. Possibly I used a hack, did the link manually instead of using nspluginwrapper, but I'm not sure about this. I have a link in /usr/lib64/opera/plugins like
Code:
ls -l /usr/lib64/opera/plugins/
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 137 Jun 27 12:53 README
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  50 Jul 18 21:00 libflashplayer.so -> /opt/Adobe/flash-player32/plugin/libflashplayer.so

I remember reading something about 64bit opera being able to use 32bit plugins...maybe that was correct, and that is what your link hack above is doing. I'll try this out tonight or tomorrow and I'll report back.
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting to confirm that creating a symlink to the 32-bit flash plugin in opera's plugin folder DOES work.

Code:

# ln -s /opt/Adobe/flash-player32/plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/opera/plugins/libflashplayer.so
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: