View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which parameters are used mkisofs making the liveDVD? Reply with quote

lennarts wrote:
Hi,

While I found out that "da" was missing fron the LINGUAS environment variable in /etc/make.conf, I decided to remake the liveDVD.

No problems mounting the DVD, and the image.squashfs filesytem, copying the files from here, set up a chrooted environment for re-emerging with the updated LINGUAS.
I also managed to make a new version of image.squashfs, and got made a new iso image, which I can loop mount without any problems, and also loop mount the inlined image.squashfs filesytem, but when I try to boot the it does not work.

I also tried to look at http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Build_Your_Own_LiveCD_or_LiveDVD but in vain.

So can you tell me how you are building the iso image?

In advance thanks,

Lennart

You need to file a separate bug for your keymap issue and NOT flood the tracker bug with comments as stated on it.
W.R.T to generating the final iso image, you need to run <code>mkisofs -J -R -l -o ../image.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
-c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ../real</code>

with real directory containing the isolinux folder and squashfs image below it. good luck. Also that WIKI article is not official so USE AT OWN RISK.
lennarts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

I misunderstood :oops: (this was my first bug) .

I have now made a separate bug for the keymap issue.

But thanks for your answer I will now try to make the the ISO image according to your instructions.
crquan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: better way to run Gentoo LiveDVD from usb (no wiping data) Reply with quote

From the FAQ we see a way of run the livedvd from usb is dd way ("dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdb"),
but obviously it would destroy all data on the usb, it's not good; I think after dd'ed, the remaining disk space will also disappear cannot reuse,
if that usb stick is larger than the iso 2.8G, waste space, but I didn't try dd;
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/releases/10.0/faq.xml#usb
http://mirrors.kernel.org/gentoo/releases/amd64/11.2/
Code:
livedvd-amd64-multilib-11.2.iso                      06-Aug-2011 07:12  2.8G

these days, I worked a non-destructive way to use usb to boot Gentoo LiveDVD;
because I have 8G usb stick, and still want to keep its current data;
I'm not sure if any other one tried this before, but it is my original, post on my blog:
http://blog.crquan.info/2011/08/step-1-boot-from-usbstick-without.html

1. mount loop that livedvd-amd64-multilib-11.2.iso; mkdir /gentoo on the usb stick, copy all files inside the iso into that /gentoo;
  2. rename its isolinux/ to syslinux/, and isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg; yes! thanks to syslinux.zytor.com great work, they're sharing the same configuration file syntax, what you need to do is just rename;
  3. since we copied all the files from rootdir of cdrom to a subdir "/gentoo" of another disk(usb), the syslinux.cfg need to be adjusted; find out the "label gentoo-x86_64", change it to this;

Code:
    label gentoo-x86_64
      MENU LABEL Gentoo ^x86_64
      kernel ../boot/gentoo
      append root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc dokeymap aufs looptype=squashfs loop=/gentoo/image.squashfs cdroot initrd=../boot/gentoo.igz vga=791 splash=silent,theme:livecd-10 console=tty1 quiet subdir=gentoo

the "kernel" "initrd=" parameters was parsed and loaded by syslinux, it support "../" style relative path, so actually you could move the whole "/gentoo" to any name, under any path; but the "loop=" and some other paths was read by code inside the initramfs (here it's ../boot/gentoo.igz), there some hard code doesn't support relative path, so you must write its full absolute path, prepend "/gentoo" to image.squashfs, and append "subdir=gentoo";

for other label entries if you want to use, you could change it the same way;

4. install syslinux bootsector to that usb stick (/dev/sdb has only one vfat partition):
    Code:
    syslinux -d /gentoo/syslinux /dev/sdb1

Then you could boot it with this usb: find out label gentoo-x86_64 and boot it into LiveDVD 11.2; Enjoy it, and the remaining space;
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really cool maybe this can be changed to a liveusb image and uploaded so changes dont have to happen
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
crquan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is how to make a liveusb image? is there a standard like cdrom iso format? Or just "dd if=/dev/sdb of=liveusb.img"? then it could be as large as 8g;
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be easier just to untar it to a usb?
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
crquan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be untar'ed that way, but the last step of "install syslinux bootsector" still need to be done separately;
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the preceding five posts.
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone looked at copying/modifying the "usb_inst.sh" from systemrescuecd? To the bevieve its a gentoo-based distro that has an installer script for installing it to a usb. Its pretty handy and works quite well.

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saundersx wrote:
Has anyone looked at copying/modifying the "usb_inst.sh" from systemrescuecd? To the bevieve its a gentoo-based distro that has an installer script for installing it to a usb. Its pretty handy and works quite well.

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_install_SystemRescueCd_on_an_USB-stick

our livedvd image is already hybrid so there is NO need for a script to allow booting from removable devices like a usb stick. see the FAQ to learn more.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: