Facebook and Twitter creating self-obsessed people
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Facebook and Twitter creating self-obsessed people Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/8672168/Facebook-and-Twitter-generation-have-developed-childlike-desire-for-reassurance-experts-say.html
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Facebook & Twitter are creating self-obsessed people of the Me Generation. I'm certain there is a word for that kind of "research," but it isn't coming to me.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if this is the case there is more evidence for the negative effects that enshrining psychopathy as something to aspire to all around us in the larger culture. People were self-absorbed jackasses long before these technologies appeared. I'm also far more concerned that these new technologies are damaging the ability of people to form coherent thoughts. Though I recognize that some of this potential damage is inevitable due to the speed at which we can communicate. Even the flame wars of OTW contain far more intelligent discourse in part because the speed of the exchanges are much slower than they would be if we were all on IRC or Twitter, or Facebook. Paradoxically things like Facebook and Twitter are probably great for disseminating current events.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big picture is our hapless slide into collectivist idiocracy. No need to actually think for one's self, just follow the other lemmings. No need to actually be ambitious, being taken care of is a human right (education, cell phone, health care, living wage -- you are entitled). Just follow the Yellow Brick Memes, have blind faith that your brainwashed populist worldview is realism, and pay no attention to the slavemaster behind the curtain. "Hope and Chains"
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
The big picture is our hapless slide into collectivist idiocracy. No need to actually think for one's self, just follow the other lemmings. No need to actually be ambitious, being taken care of is a human right (education, cell phone, health care, living wage -- you are entitled). Just follow the Yellow Brick Memes, believe that your brainwashed populist views are reality, and pay no attention to the slavemaster behind the curtain. "Hope and Chains"
Meh people would be entitled simply because they took said things. It is what the aristocrats have always done. The only way to win the argument was to snatch away these "divine rights" through said rhetoric. Personally I don't care about any right to healthcare or education I just know that being an idiot causes more problems than it solves as does being sick. Also almost none of the supposedly self-sufficient would be able to survive without others. I chuckle at their attempts to frame these things in terms of freedom vs slavery because I know that most of the things they think they did on their own they actually did with the aid of others even if that aid was hidden and indirect. Human beings certainly don't have a need to be ambitious, in fact the nobility hates ambition even within their own ranks. Why do you think they try desperately to inculcate people with the sense that they should be content with their station in life? Indeed that there should even be stations to begin with?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You misunderstand what I mean by "slavery". I'm talking about people who are now children having half the fruits of their labor taken away for the rest of their lives, with half of that money going to pay interest on debts foolishly accumulated in the name of "spreading the wealth" before they were even old enough to know what was going on, and that interest flowing into the hands of bankers, the super-rich, and foreign governments.

That's why it's like a crack-whore with a stolen credit card; foolish spending is going on under the delusion that somebody else is going to pick up the tab. Crack lives high on the hog for a few months and then goes to jail for years. And that's all Obama is accomplishing with his wealth transfer strategy, enslaving an entire generation for the sake of the brief illusion of having made "change".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: