Start up freezes....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will_Angel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Start up freezes.... Reply with quote

OK.. it took about 9 horus but Gnome finally finished installing....
i typed gdm and it loaded up ... YAY!

then i was at this longin screen, i typed root and the password and it said somethign about it not being completely right and thigns may not run properly but it still loaded up....

ok... i did all the necessary steps to make it load from startup..
heres the problem...

i rebooted... and let it load.. then it brought me to a different kind of login screen.... XFREE login NOT Gnome login....

so then i entered roto and password and a msg pops up saying..

"Would you like to load this session"
and thers a path name.. then theres 'delete' 'load' cancel ..etc...
the only thigns clickable are the ok to load it and the cancel...

cancel lets me log in again.. when i click load .. it goes black and i get nothing.....just frozen there.........whats goin on .. can anyone help?
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then i was at this longin screen, i typed root and the password and it said somethign about it not being completely right and thigns may not run properly but it still loaded up....

You shouldn't login as root, you should create a normal user account for yourself and login as that. If you need to run something as root, use "su -" in a terminal to become root.

Quote:
i rebooted... and let it load.. then it brought me to a different kind of login screen.... XFREE login NOT Gnome login....

Make sure you have
Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER=gdm
and
Code:
XSESSION=Gnome

in your /etc/rc.conf file.
Will_Angel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. actualyl i did create a user for myself.. but when i tried to login it said it was invalid....

how do i create a user? from chroot type adduser "name"
then

passwd "name"

cuz iv edone that a logn time ago but maybe i can try it again...

everythign else was right, except for the last part.. Xsession = gnome
it might be right but im not sure cuz i never looked at that part i will in a bit then thanks...
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how do i create a user?

From the install guide:
Code:
# useradd your_user -m -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash
# passwd your_user
Will_Angel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok..I'm in here now, and i checked it does say #XSESSION="GNOME" and it does have primary dispaly or watever as gdm
same thing happens.. i logge din witht he user i created.... and then it says start this session? ok/failsafe or cancel... i click failsafe goes black there is this four point cursor thing looks like a ninja star and thats all that happens
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to delete the "#" at the beginning of that line.
Will_Angel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.. i was told :(

gonna have to try it when i go home again at 5...
i went to console tho and typed gdm and that let me log in normally i was in there and tried to come here but its all in text.... so i went to console and type emerge mozilla was this correct???

is there any onther internet clients that can be used?

and finally whats the commands to mount my c drive, so i can view it in gnome and access those files..???
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is there any onther internet clients that can be used?

If you don't like mozilla's interface, you might want to give epiphany a try -- it's the new default gnome web browser.

Quote:
and finally whats the commands to mount my c drive, so i can view it in gnome and access those files..???

Assuming you're refering to a Windows partition here, check out the faq: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=166510.
Will_Angel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for all the help man...i could not emerge epiphany it says all the ebuilds that could satisfy 'epiphany' have been masked...
jesus mozilla has been emerging for like 4 hours already...
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, mozilla's rather large, but even if you don't use it directly you still have to emerge it before you can use other browsers like epiphany/galeon/pheonix that depend on it's rendering engine.

At the moment there are no epiphany builds in the stable branch, so if you want to try it you need to allow unstable builds:
Code:
# env ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge epiphany
Will_Angel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey fifo thanks a bunch things are workin pretti good....im not a big fan of mozilla but ill stick with it for now since it stable. im reading up learning a bunch things.. but i really need to get my gfès comp up and connected to internet through mine...(she need sto do HW through her college server)

iI lookeda tt he masquerade thing its like bigger than a novel like its gigantic.. i couldnt even find how to jsut straight set it up.. its like a history lesson, and yes i do want to understand it, and i will in time.. but need this set up i dont have a few weeeks to sit and learn all of the history on ips.... is there an easier way to set up the network... like theres two network cards in here eth0 is set up for internet... and eth1 is jsut sitting there....do i jsut change something in the net file É or is it like a billion times more complicatedÉÉ also my question mark is messed up.. ÉÉÉ thats what i get. all my symbol keys are like that quotations and all that.. is there a way to fix that.....É

thanks again..
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the network thing, there's lots of tools and scripts around to automate setting up a firewall. You could try MonMotha's script -- I've found it straightforward to setup and it should do what you want. You just have to "emerge monmotha", then edit the settings at the top of /etc/monmotha/monmotha (after all the comments). See here for details: http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php/MonMothaReferenceGuide. Then "/etc/init.d/monmotha start" and check the output in /var/log/monmotha.log.

As for the keyboard, I've no idea. What sort of keyboard is it? Have you got the right layout set in /etc/rc.conf ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: