executing a program in a separate x session
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: executing a program in a separate x session Reply with quote

hello,

I have a program that I want to run in the bk, thing is it needs a gui.

so I've thought of running it in a separate x session, thing is how can I do that and if I need to log into that session, how can I do that?
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page explains what you need to do.
tl;dr: $ startx -- :1
Use Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8 to switch back and forth.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
This page explains what you need to do.
tl;dr: $ startx -- :1
Use Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8 to switch back and forth.

thanks, question is, how do I instruct a program to run specifically on that session?
also, is there an overhead to this option regarding the display? e.g. will xorg do extra unneeded work when I'm not watching that session?
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
thanks, question is, how do I instruct a program to run specifically on that session?

I assume you want to know how to launch your program on that display from a script, otherwise you could just use Ctrl-Alt-F8 and launch the program. The details will depend on your desktop environment. One way to do it would be to launch a different DE on the 2nd display and start up your program in a startup script for that DE. Another approach would be to use the same DE for both displays and then use the value of the $DISPLAY variable to decide on whether to launch your program or not.

Quote:
also, is there an overhead to this option regarding the display? e.g. will xorg do extra unneeded work when I'm not watching that session?

I would imagine this will depend drastically on the DE and on the program you are running. It is such an easy thing to do, you should just try it and see for yourself if it meets your needs.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

I assume you want to know how to launch your program on that display from a script, otherwise you could just use Ctrl-Alt-F8 and launch the program. The details will depend on your desktop environment. One way to do it would be to launch a different DE on the 2nd display and start up your program in a startup script for that DE. Another approach would be to use the same DE for both displays and then use the value of the $DISPLAY variable to decide on whether to launch your program or not.

Quote:

I would imagine this will depend drastically on the DE and on the program you are running. It is such an easy thing to do, you should just try it and see for yourself if it meets your needs.

my goal is to run openbox, in it there is a script which autoexec vmware-player, I want to try running it headless and enable loopback based rdp connection.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: