Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part IV
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most heartfelt apologies, but the main site is down again. I am hoping to have it back up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made it so the main site is now running on my main laptop. It's running through wireless, so it might be a bit slow, but it is up and running.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In honor of the three year anniversary of Pappy's Kernel Seeds, I've updated the main page as well as the donations page. Please stop by and check out the new pages. As always, enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae,

30 years for the kernel and three years for kernel-seeds. Happy anniversary.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, kind sir. I couldn't have done it without your help.

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that *20* years for the kernel?

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moriah,

Correct. Its the start of its 3rd decade.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
While I have had issues with zen sources, I've never seen a reason to not use them, even if they drag their heels updating things. In this situation, you might need to do some experimentation to get things tweaked.

Cheers,
Pappy

have you tested zen 3.0.3?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The 3.0.0 series is workable. The only real problem I've seen with it is that single processor machines will not show coretemp properly. As a matter of fact, none of the sensor apps will show it. I haven't figured out why that is, but I haven't really had time to devote to finding out what the deal is with coretemp. On multiprocessor systems, things work fine, after you reset your sensor app for new coretemp settings.

Other than that, I haven't noted a real speed improvement. The 3.0.x series may do you well. Once again, you'll have to do a bit of experimentation.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At long last, I believe I have worked out the issues with the server and the routers that go between it and the Internet. In other words, the site is back up and running on its normal server. That will make this old lappy happy. The cooling fan sounds like its eating gravel. It makes it hard to sleep when it's sitting next to my head.

Cheers,
Pappy
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Yes. The 3.0.0 series is workable. The only real problem I've seen with it is that single processor machines will not show coretemp properly. As a matter of fact, none of the sensor apps will show it. I haven't figured out why that is, but I haven't really had time to devote to finding out what the deal is with coretemp. On multiprocessor systems, things work fine, after you reset your sensor app for new coretemp settings.

Other than that, I haven't noted a real speed improvement. The 3.0.x series may do you well. Once again, you'll have to do a bit of experimentation.

Cheers,
Pappy

as I stated before, I need new kernel because I use a ATI 5450 and not all if it is supported.

as I run a i7-2600, I don't think that the mentioned bug will affect me.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. That bug shouldn't be an issue with a multi-core system. I will; however, warn you against turning up the timer frequency over 300Hz. That can cause issues with i7 processors...and has in the past.

As for support for your video card, I'd be just slightly wary as KMS is still buggy with certain ATI video cards. If there is an Intel GPU on the mobo, that might be a better option, as KMS is practically bulletproof with the Intel GPU's at this stage of the game.

If not, you may have issues with X. I would imagine other stuff will run just fine. I'd look the card up via google and see what its state of Linux support is at this time. Good luck.

Cheers,
Pappy
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
You're right. That bug shouldn't be an issue with a multi-core system. I will; however, warn you against turning up the timer frequency over 300Hz. That can cause issues with i7 processors...and has in the past.

As for support for your video card, I'd be just slightly wary as KMS is still buggy with certain ATI video cards. If there is an Intel GPU on the mobo, that might be a better option, as KMS is practically bulletproof with the Intel GPU's at this stage of the game.

If not, you may have issues with X. I would imagine other stuff will run just fine. I'd look the card up via google and see what its state of Linux support is at this time. Good luck.

Cheers,
Pappy

I have a intel gpu but I was to use the ati, why? first because I bought it, second, I need every bit of memory I can get.

about the the timer frequency, my current setting is CONFIG_HZ_1000=y, why is that an issue? is that only for zen sources?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use X, you want something that will work with it. As I said, ATI KMS is not as developed as KMS for Intel. One of the problems with Linux is the development curve lags behind the world made by Bill Gates. We all know that sad reality, at least those of us who like to live on the bleeding edge here in Gentoo land. When I first bought this laptop, it took three months before I could use the wireless adapter. The first driver I got to work for it was ndiswrapper...which ironically remains the best and fastest driver for the adapter.

If you want to use it as a multi seat system, then X might not even be an issue. If X isn't an issue, then there's really no need for the ATI card. If you do want X, for the time being, you might want to stick with the Intel GPU. Once again, it is well supported by the latest and greatest version of xorg-server. If the ATI card is between three and six months old, then it might be well supported. As I said, it is something with which you will have to experiment.

As for the 300Hz timer issue, the final timer speed is a function of the basic setting multiplied by the number of cores/hyper-threads. When you crank the speed beyond 300, you would wind up with timer speeds around 8000Hz. Even as fast as multi-core chips can go, there is a practical limit to their speed, not as a function of the speed itself, but as a function of what the rest of the system (including the software setup) can handle. By setting things at 300, you avoid driver issues that can cause lock-ups, boot failures, and other than stable operation, especially under load. I have seen all of the above happen with users who have used seeds with over-cranked timers.

I wish I could remember where I read that, but if you look it up, you will find that it is an issue. When you have that many cores working on your behalf, even if you crank down the timer speed, you will still have a ball-burning MOFO of a system.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I feel like I'm playing, "Where on Earth is kernel-dot-org," portage did come across with some source today. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r68 and 3.0.4-hardened-r2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

I just know when kernel-dot-org comes back, I'm going to be very busy making seeds. Bringeth it on-eth.

Cheers,
Pappy
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy can you go from x64 to x86 using one of your seeds? I have the x64 one you did for my laptop but have decided to put x86 gentoo on there, thanks to your help I have the seed how i need it for it to show my card reader, so don't really want to go through all the hassle of trying to get that working again :)
Martin Cmelik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pappy,

is it possible to put into seeds folder file (for example) latest-kernel.txt
So it will be on path http://kernel-seeds.org/seeds/64_bit/hardened/latest-kernel.txt
with one line for 2.6.x tree and one for 3.0.x tree?

It will help me with my installer script.

just idea :]

Thank you
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Foo wrote:
pappy can you go from x64 to x86 using one of your seeds? I have the x64 one you did for my laptop but have decided to put x86 gentoo on there, thanks to your help I have the seed how i need it for it to show my card reader, so don't really want to go through all the hassle of trying to get that working again :)

Yes. to change the basic .config from x86_64 to x86, you would simply enter make oldconfig ARCH=x86. That will change that .config to allow it to run as 32 bit. I would recommend compiling in that format first, and wait to use make menuconfig/gconfig/xconfig until after you've got the basic 32 bit setup ready to go. While you can use something like make menuconfig ARCH=x86, I have noted that doesn't always work, and in some cases it doesn't work at all.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Cmelik wrote:
Hi Pappy,

is it possible to put into seeds folder file (for example) latest-kernel.txt
So it will be on path http://kernel-seeds.org/seeds/64_bit/hardened/latest-kernel.txt
with one line for 2.6.x tree and one for 3.0.x tree?

It will help me with my installer script.

just idea :]

Thank you

It's a good idea for a little down the road. I'm still in transition, without a permanent home for myself or the site, so for now, there are some other issues that are pressing a bit harder on me than the site. I will definitely take the idea under advisement, though. Considering the speed with which the kernel sources change, it might help some folks out.

Cheers,
Pappy
FizzyWidget
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Dark Foo wrote:

Yes. to change the basic .config from x86_64 to x86, you would simply enter make oldconfig ARCH=x86. That will change that .config to allow it to run as 32 bit. I would recommend compiling in that format first, and wait to use make menuconfig/gconfig/xconfig until after you've got the basic 32 bit setup ready to go. While you can use something like make menuconfig ARCH=x86, I have noted that doesn't always work, and in some cases it doesn't work at all.

Cheers,
Pappy

guess i will have to recompile the kernel again, I couldn't wait so just did make oldconfig
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Foo,

If normal USB storage devices work, card readers on need one more kernel option is the SCSI menu.
Code:
 [*] Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device

Without that your card reader will show only a single card type.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, it appears my DNS service can't get their act together. Please use THIS LINK until I get the issue fixed...again. Sheesh!

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pappy, your mirror on my server, www.elilabs.com/~pappy, has had 148 hits so far this month; just thought you would like to know... 8)

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moriah,

I have statcounter setup on the site, so I pretty much know (up to five hundred entries in my "log") where people are going...but I do thank you as that log fills quickly on busy days.

Everyone,

It appears as if my, "get your act together" email to my DNS service did some good. You can now click on the standard link, and you'll get to the main site. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day without kernel-dot-org, but thankfully, the hardened-sources guys are always at it. I've just uploaded .configs for 3.0.4-hardened-r3 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20

Jump to: