World update broke my system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: World update broke my system Reply with quote

Ok, so it's not really broken but it's not doing anything I want it to do. This isn't the first time a world update has broken my system so this time rather than reinstalling I want to try and fix it (if it's worth the time) and prevent it in the future.

This time I didn't know what I was doing setting ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" in my make.conf rather than just using it for a single command. I knew it was a bad thing to have set globally, but after I emerged compiz I forgot to comment it out. Then I performed the world update and everything broke. kdm no longer works, any attempts to downgrade all my packages end up failing to a compiler error, and all my attempts to downgrade my compiler fail as well to the same error.

The specific error I'm getting is with configuring. Regardless of what package I'm trying to install it will say "failed to run configure" at the end of it.

Here is a call stack from gcc
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 56: Called src_compile
environment, line 4874: Called toolchain_src_compile
environment, line 5471: Called gcc_src_compile
environment, 3080: Called gcc_do_configure
environment, line 2812: Called die
The specific snippet of code:
"${S}"/configure "$@" || die "failed to run configure";

I would post more info but I don't have a clue how to copy from the command line interface, let alone how to use the forums in CLI.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never do per-package changes via temporary modifications to /etc/make.conf. If you want to make a change for only one package, then do a per-package override via /etc/portage/package.use or /etc/portage/package.keywords, as appropriate.

If configure fails, then we need the error message from configure to be able to help you.
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't the version of gcc I want but it's pretty much the same error for all packages I try emerging, no matter what the version
emerge -av gcc
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... x86_64-pc-linux-gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: in '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5/work/build':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See 'config.log' for more details
(I don't know where this log is)

(call stack here)

I have a feeling fixing this is going to take more time and effort than just reinstalling, which leads me to my next request. Is there any way I can make emerge -uNDav world any safer? I really want to be able to update all the packages on my system but every time I have used this my system has broken. That's including in the past, when I wasn't using unstable keywords and everything else on the system seemed perfectly normal. Should I mask certain packages before the update? any options I can add? Or should I just avoid using -D altogether?
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run binutils-config 1.
for some reason you lost you assembler's capability to build elfs.

V.
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know which version of gcc I should downgrade to? gentoo-portage.com is down so I can't see what the latest stable build is there.
rh1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you know which version of gcc I should downgrade to? gentoo-portage.com is down so I can't see what the latest stable build is there.

I wouldn't downgrade, i'd just add whatever version you have working to /etc/portage/package.keywords. Eventually stable will catch back up to you. Same thing with glibc, if you upgraded that, portage will flat out refuse to down grade it anyway. bin-utils and linux-headers are 2 more you should just consider leaving at current version.

As far as 'emerge -avuND world', if your using stable, Your system shouldn't be breaking everytime unless you have stuff setup wrong. You also want to pay attention to portage output too. Good tool to use is elogv, follow the intructions after emerging it. Tells you what you need to add to /etc/make.conf for it to work. Then after updating packages, go check the logs to see if there is any special instructions. Also, after updating world, it's actually a good idea to run 'emerge -av --depclean' after to clean out the old stuff. CHECK DEPCLEAN OUTPUT CAREFULLY before accepting to make sure it's not removing anythin critical and then make sure you run revdep-rebuild to fix any packages that might have broke during updating
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, wrong site. Turns out gcc 4.4.5 is is stable for amd64 here.
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've come across another error. A lot of my packages are not recognizing my compiler as 4.4.5, giving me error messages like "Sorry, but gcc earlier than 4.0 won't work for xorg-server" and "Sorry, but gcc-4.3 and earlier won;t work for KDE SC 4.6" I'm not very patient when it comes to this type of stuff so I'm just going to reinstall. I can keep a lot of my old configuration and I should be able to reuse my kernel. Should just be a matter of formatting, installing the base, copying my config files, and emerging world. Next time I will backup before I try a world update and if something goes wrong I'll post it and see if it can be fixed. If not I'll just avoid the -D option.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind finally putting that config.log into pastebin ?
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't know where that file is
2. I don't know how to use pastebin from CLI
3. I don't know how to copy-paste from CLI

If you could tell me how to do those within the next hour I will. If not I reformat and reinstall. I don't mean this as an ultimatum or anything, but I have a lot of things to do soon and you could say my "week off" is almost over. If I don't get a working gentoo system before my free time runs away I would have to resort to using another distro.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't mean this as an ultimatum"... :roll: yeah, right.
That config.log should be in the build dir and there's always wgetpaste, if you can't find the error in it by yourself.
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/438824/
Ok, after looking at the definition, I guess it technically does qualify as an ultimatum. What I meant is that it isn't aimed at you. My schedule is what created it, and I to blame for my schedule but I didn't expect my system to break right after being nearly done installing it. Adding another install to my plans took me from comfortable to rush mode if I plan to be done before I have to get back to work. Thanks for the help.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your installed =sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5 is linked to a library that has gone missing. Have you been removing packages via --unmerge or downgrading installed packages? Have you had any filesystem corruption problems?
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried downgrading the system back to it's previous state by removing the ~amd64 from my make.conf and emerging world again. No filesystem corruption problems.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renketsu wrote:
I tried downgrading the system back to it's previous state by removing the ~amd64 from my make.conf and emerging world again.
That is quite possibly even worse than temporarily putting ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" in /etc/make.conf. You probably need to run an emerge --emptytree world, but your system is now broken by the partial downgrade, so that will be difficult. If you have been using FEATURES="buildpkg", you may have saved copies of the older versions, which could be installed without a working sys-devel/gcc. Otherwise, you will need to grab working packages from the tinderbox. You will not be able to downgrade sys-libs/glibc in this way.
renketsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

renketsu wrote:
I'm not very patient when it comes to this type of stuff so I'm just going to reinstall. I can keep a lot of my old configuration and I should be able to reuse my kernel. Should just be a matter of formatting, installing the base, copying my config files, and emerging world. Next time I will backup before I try a world update and if something goes wrong I'll post it and see if it can be fixed. If not I'll just avoid the -D option.

I reinstalled already. I have been backing up at every step as well. After all my packages finish compiling and I get my setup the way I want it, I will backup and try a world update yet again, just to make sure I can do it without breaking my system. If it breaks I'll just restore the backup and stop trying to update everything's dependencies.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: