/var/run Permissions Problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anquietas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: /var/run Permissions Problem Reply with quote

Hello,

A have a wierd problem...

I think it's related to /var/run, or /run (in Gentoo systems)

I have problems with 2 services: clamav and named. Both are writing files in /var/run/... or at least they are trying...

The first problem is if I reboot the system, I think /run gets remounted or something like this, and it DOES NOT recreate the "clamav" directory in /var/run .
And the config files of ClamAv use the "/var/run/clamav/*.pid" path to deposit their PID files.
Obviously, the pid files cannot be written due to the fact that "clamav" directory is missing.

The second problem is that BIND Named also uses /var/run/named/*.pid to deposit it's PID files, but in this case, the "named" folder IS recreated in /var/run after reboot, but with wrong permissions (rwxr-x--- with owner root and group named).
I have to manually chmod to RWXRWX--- to enable the WRITE permission for group named, in order for the nameserver daemon to be able to WRITE into that folder.

And of course, recreating the 'clamav' folder manually, and setting permissions manually on 'named' folder after each reboot, and restarting services manually is, of course, out of the question.

I think the problem is somewhere in the recreation of elements in /var/run (or /run) directory.

Please advice !
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those directories are meant to be ephemeral. The init script for the relevant daemon should be creating the directory if the daemon does not do so on its own.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: