eth0 become eth2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marinheiro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: eth0 become eth2 Reply with quote

On rebooting Monday morning I found I had no network any more. I did an emerge world on Friday, but didn't pay particular attention, so I must have missed a configuration change needed somewhere. etc-update tells me nothing.

I previously had eth0 (lan) and eth1 (wireless). Now ifconfig -a tells me I have eth1 and eth2. eth1 is (as before) my wireless, and works.

Code:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start

reports interface eth0 does not exist. Symlinking init.d/net.lo to init.d/net.eth2, and editing /etc/conf.d/net replacing all references to eth0 with eth2, gives me a working internet connection on the lan. But I'd rather have my initial eth0/eth1 back, and am worried about random changes happening for reasons I don't understand.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Graham
jormartr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
and reboot.

Udev remembers ethernet interfaces (as this is the way it must work), and there is some change in your system, so it thinks that your ethernet is not the same physical ethernet that eth0 was, and so it takes a new name.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: