Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatzeOne
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koybe wrote:
how maybe the problem is i have a canon s750 and found no ppd for it... so i'll try some of it.
Another question when i'll have it work how can i put the "cups start" at boot for not having to type it each time?

i foolowed the instructions and it works...
i have a canon s750, too... i used the cups driver for canon s800... good quality here on the test pages :)
Sevein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED Reply with quote

"Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

This is the error messange that I can see when I am in my cups web-server configuration system, in the manage printers.

Description: Impresora laser en blanco y negro
Location: Conectada al ordenador de la salita (salita.tomareswireless.sewi)
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
"Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"
Device URI: smb://SEVEIN/PC-SALITA/impresora

Should I put some password? But the printer in the XP system dont need passwords! :(
ToryGA33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Finally found the solution... Reply with quote

I've been following this thread hoping for a solution to my problem.

I was having the issue above of all the print jobs going to an "aborted" status.

I finally was able to determin after adding "debug" to the cups config file that there was a program missing.

"hpijs"

I ran "emerge hpijs", and tried again and low and behold, a perfect page.

I never ran accross a single source that mentioned this program. I only figured this out after going carefully through the error log.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

BTW, my printer is an HP Photosmart 7150.

Cheers!
XeroByte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found the solution... Reply with quote

ToryGA33 wrote:
I've been following this thread hoping for a solution to my problem.

I was having the issue above of all the print jobs going to an "aborted" status.

I finally was able to determin after adding "debug" to the cups config file that there was a program missing.

"hpijs"

I ran "emerge hpijs", and tried again and low and behold, a perfect page.

I never ran accross a single source that mentioned this program. I only figured this out after going carefully through the error log.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

BTW, my printer is an HP Photosmart 7150.

Cheers!

yeh... thank you... took a look at the error log file and had to install gimp-print... now all works fine!
cbolin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Printing from Gentoo to a shared Windows XP printer via Reply with quote

I want to thank you for this post and highly rec'd you submit it as a FAQ. It worked perfectly the first time for me.

Thanks.
hulk2nd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Sevein
try to use your windows username / pass. if you haven't set one until now, try to create another user with password and enter these account infos into the string. i normally have a pass set on my xp machine but i've read somewhere on the net, that it doesn't without it.

I'm sorry for all the people who can't get it working. and I'm glad that it works for some people, but there is one thing for sure: I'll try to get the thread with your comments, experiences, solutions and help up to date so that it will work as much as possible :D

thanks and greets,
hulk
ToryGA33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Just a thank you... Reply with quote

Hulk,

Just wanted to add a thank you. Even though I had some problems, I wouldn't have known where to begin without your post.

So THANKS!!

--Tory
billbalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Solution to SMB/CUPS password problem on Win shared printer Reply with quote

Normally, a Windows printer is shared with Everyone/Print permissions. No password is required to access the printer.

To print to a printer configured in this manner from Linux using SMB/CUPS, you must connect using the guest account using no password.

When you don't set it up properly, you get this error: "SMB tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

If you get this error, go to http://localhost:631. As you are adding or modifying your printer, when you get to "Device URI:" , enter " smb://guest:@computername/printsharename".
mhenley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Printer on network with DHCP Reply with quote

What would i need to change on this procedure if I cant guarantee a specific IP address due to using DHCP on the network. Its a Win2000 machine with the printer.
xavan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job :D
Yamakasi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!!!!

It works!

Thx so much for the guide Hulk...I was working on that forever! :)
cranch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway for the currently logged on user to access the printer without using the guest account? I disable my guest account for security reasons....
hulk2nd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you can use every user that is able to print. just try it. my xp machine is currently broken so i can't test it by myself.

greets,
hulk
nukes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! This worked great for me!! :)
8)
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip. On the windows machine(NT, 2K, XP) you can go to add/remove programs, click on add/remove windows components, click on other network file and print services, click on print services for Unix. Hit ok a couple times. Then share out your printer with a simple name-eg. no spaces, no weird characters, only 0-9, a-z, or A-Z. Then you can lpr print jobs to the machine. It server is just the IP or qualified domain name of the machine you're trying to print to, and the queue is the name you used to share the printer. I find this to be MUCH more reliable and gobs faster than smb-printing.

At work I have our printers setup like this.
Machine (2K server) hanging off the central switch with 2 NICS. First NIC is on the Central Switch with gigabit, second goes to a 16Port switch via 100bT that's not tied into the rest of the network. All printers are on the second switch, and installed on the server which has "Print Services for Unix", and "Appletalk File/Print Services" installed. Each printer is shared out with a simple, but descriptive name. All print jobs are handled by this machine.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the IP's have to be static? Im on DCHP, but can disable that.
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. If the machines get domain names, you don't need static IPs.
basvdijk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Problems with printing to a printer on win98 Reply with quote

Hi there,
I've got problems with printing on a windows 98 printer (HP deskjet 710C).
As url I typed: smb://192.168.0.5/HP710C. I get the following error:

Code:
"Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...ERROR: Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL".

I have no idea what the problem is. I tried to create a guest account on the Win98 machine but this is quite difficult in win98. The default username is "ico van dijk" maybe there is some problem with the spaces. Can someone help me?

edit: Just figured out, if I connect with nautilus to "smb://192.168.0.5" nautilus prompts for a password. If I use "smb://guest:guest@192.168.0.5" it connects without prompting for a password. I also tried to use this string (smb://guest:guest@192.168.0.5/HP710) in cups but got the same error as described above...

Last edited by basvdijk on Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
wb1975
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: print from win2k client to gentoo box with xerox phaser 3110 Reply with quote

Hi everyone
the phaser 3110 reported to be gdi printer , I plan to print from my win2k client
to this gentoo box via raw printing ... I have uncomment the two file ( in samba with cups )
but everytime the prin job started , the printer just blinking ...

what happen to this printer ? I manage to print if connected to win2k directly using
parallel port or usb port
thanks
wb
RedNeckCracker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents, i had to install ijs for my epson EPL 5900L to make it working

(here http://epsonepl.sourceforge.net/ )
miracle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Printer do not appear in Mozilla Reply with quote

Hi, your tutorial worked fine on my system:
I print from a laptop with gentoo toward an Epson EPL-5900 PS connected on my office desktop with win2000Pro.
I print from every office like program and/or editor (I configured it in KDE 3.2 printer utility aswell) but I don't see it in my Mozilla printers window. It shows only "PostScript/default" in the printers tab/list. How do I overcome this?

Thank you.
Miracle

Se vuoi le cose fatte bene: fattele!
If you want things well done: do them yourself!
d3vr0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the printer connected to the Windows machine is not Linux-compatible?

In my case, I run Gentoo on my personal computer and the family computer runs Windows 2000. The Lexmark X5150 is connected to the Windows computer and is absolutely not compatible in Linux. I suppose I'd need some sort of print server service running on the the Windows machine. Ideas anyone?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you really need to print via CUPS is the PPD file which should be included with the Windows drivers.
d3vr0n
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're saying my printer is compatible with Linux+Cups? Or just accross a network?

I haven't seen anything about being able to print locally to it. I find that strange because when I booted Gentoo with the printer connected, the kernel saw the printer ("USB Bidirectional Printer") and the scanner ("HID compliant something or other").

It'd be nice if I could Gentoo that box instead of running W2k.
I'm trying to get the rest of my computers and family weened off of Windows.
JakeP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having the 'aborted' problem with my hpLaserJet1000. How would i enable debugging in cups, to see what program i should install?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: