[Resolved] glibc-2.15-r3 to glibc-2.16 makes system unstable
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostpaperclips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: [Resolved] glibc-2.15-r3 to glibc-2.16 makes system unstable Reply with quote

If anyone has an opinion or suggestion, I'm willing to hear it!

Already filed a bug for it (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=492920), but thought I would do a forum post on the off chance that someone had an idea as to what my problem would be. I have had my box up and running for some time (about two years according to my old blog post - http://office-supply-liberation.blogspot.com/2012/02/dell-xps-8300-kernel-configuration-tips.html) and everything was fine.

Then on Nov 28th I stop home for a second and do an emerge --sync and kick-off an update. Well that was a mistake as everything crashed horribly. The next morning I spend time recovering my data and then by the afternoon I am ready to re-install. (in between I ran a memory test and everything passed). The re-install goes fine and then I try to do an update from stage3-amd64-20131031 to today (2013-11-29) and everything goes sideways again.

From my reading of things, it really looks like the problem is the remove of glibc-2.15-r3 based on this emerge output:

Code:
The ebuild phase 'postrm' has been killed by signal 11.
The 'postrm' phase of the 'sys-lib/glibc-2.15-r3' package has failed
with exit value 1

The problem occurred while executing the ebuild file named 'glibc-2.15-r3' located in the /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-2.15-r3' directory. If necessary, manual remove the environment.bz2 file and/or the ebuild file located in that directory.

Removal of the environment.bz2 file is preferred since it may allow the remove phases to execute successfully. The ebuild will be sourced and the eclasses from the current portage tree will be used when necessary. Remove of the ebuild file will cause pkg_prerm() and pkg_postrm() remove phases to be skipped entirely

Anybody seen this before and/or have some suggested workarounds?

Last edited by lostpaperclips on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
lostpaperclips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: glibc-2.15-r3 to glibc-2.16 from causes system unstablit Reply with quote

Well it would appear someone else encountered this issue and has a cause & workaround.

As from Bug #492920, the issue appears to be a CFLAG has '-frecord-gcc-switches' being set (which I had set). Removing this flag from make.conf and things compiled without issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: