new winex
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: new winex Reply with quote

The new winex is out !!! plays warcraft 3, black & white, civ 3, and gta3 !!
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: new winex Reply with quote

line72 wrote:
The new winex is out !!! plays warcraft 3, black & white, civ 3, and gta3 !!

Is that personal experience or is that just the currently reported news? Just curious.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what it says, but after work i'm going to try civ 3, black and white, and warcratf 3, so we'll see !!
fuxored
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had GTA3 playing for quite awhile now, nothing new. I got war3 working with cvs from about a week or more ago. I can't say about Black&White or Civ though.

Can anyone tell me if they got the movies to work in Warcraft3 with the new release? They are still broke in the newest CVS, any luck with commercial part? Also if I try to run War3 with the opengl flag it just bitches it can't find DirectX :?

Whats your experiances?
colinb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTA3 was pretty much painless to get working. I emerge'd the current Wine (07/10) and installed the WineX 2.1 precompiled binaries. WineX ran both the GTA3 Installshield installer and the 1.1 patch just fine, and then ran the game without any show-stopping problems. Performance... well, it isn't *great*, but it's far from terrible and it's definitely playable. (About what I expected.) My biggest complaint is that the audio is (a) sometimes distorted / skips, and (b) lags behind the video by 1/4-1/2 second.

Overall, this is a very impressive achievement on the part of the people at Transgaming. Nicely done. Of course, there wouldn't even be a need for an interpretation layer like WineX if game developers spent extra bit of development time to produce a Linux/SDL binary. (id Software knows what they're doing.)

--Colin
Woollhara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I installed the WineX 2.1 binaries yesterday and I could install GTA3 perfectly but I cannot run the game.
Everytime I start it (after mounting the "play" CD) the screen resolution is changed then I get an unresolved exception and my only way out is ctrl-alt-bkspc...

I'm running Gentoo (full GCC 3.1) on a dual P3 box with 512Mb.

Any idea?
heathkit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your whole system compiled with gcc3.1? As I understand it, libraries compiled with 3.1 are incompatible with binaries made with 2.95. You need to either find some 2.95 libraries and make sure winex knows where to find them, or bug Transgaming for some gcc3.1 winex binaries.
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black and white runs great especially with the new patch. Only problem was i couldn't change the resolution ? The Setup.exe wouldn't save settings. But if you edit the systrem.reg you can change the resolution (in ocatal). Thank god for kde's kcalc whcih can do octal to decimal : )
I couldn't get warcraft3 to work, although, it's probably because it is not an entirely legal beta copy : )
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuxored wrote:
I've had GTA3 playing for quite awhile now, nothing new. I got war3 working with cvs from about a week or more ago. I can't say about Black&White or Civ though.

Can anyone tell me if they got the movies to work in Warcraft3 with the new release? They are still broke in the newest CVS, any luck with commercial part? Also if I try to run War3 with the opengl flag it just bitches it can't find DirectX :?

Whats your experiances?

Theretically the 2.1 version of winex support cut scenes in wc3 at least but yet to install it to verify that , but getting there .....

Cheers
Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: