Mail server choice and configuration question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Mail server choice and configuration question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a two machines running gentoo, a laptop and a desktop. The laptop obviously has intermittent internet access. I would like to set up both machines so they can send mail to my gmail accounts to report problems with cron jobs, smartmond and mdadm problems etc. The problem is that on my laptop the cron jobs and smartmond might generate a message when I'm not connected to the net. SSMTP simply fails in this situation. I'm looking for a system whereby I have an outgoing only MTA configuration that can also queue outbound mail when the connection fails.

I imagine postfix would take car of this, but for the life of me I can't figure out it's configuration to make it outbound only with no local delivery.

Anyone have any ideas regarding other MTA's that might be able to do this, or even better, how to configure postfix this way?
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mail server choice and configuration question Reply with quote

sirlark wrote:

I imagine postfix would take car of this, but for the life of me I can't figure out it's configuration to make it outbound only with no local delivery.

Anyone have any ideas regarding other MTA's that might be able to do this, or even better, how to configure postfix this way?

If you want to disable local delivery altogether, I'd imagine you could simply remove this line from master.cf

Code:

local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local

What you'd then have to do is probably set up transport_maps for gmail, as I doubt google's servers will accept connections directly from your home ISP, necessitating that you route this traffic through your ISP's SMTP server.

it's doable, as are most things with postfix. I suppose what else would be helpful, is knowing what all youve tried thus far, and what hasn't worked, how it's failed, etc, so we dont end up covering ground youve already covered or suggesting things you've already tried
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: