samba on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: samba on Gentoo Reply with quote

hi everybody,

I am a total newcomer in Gentoo (haven't installed it yet). I want to provide a Samba Server to our small office network that would be used by several Windows XP, 1 MAC OSX and sometimes 1 Linux client.

As far as I understand I have to go for samba in order to make it work for the Windows people, right? NFS would be better if I play with Unix clients only but that is not yet the case. I am new to this in general and learned through my first inquires on how to set this up that Samba can be noticeably slow (especially in a GBit Network) compared to a Windows Share. As I understand this is mainly due to samba's complexity. I heard now about Gentoo and wonder whether samba can be 'simplified' while compiling in order to only provide the features I need and so to gain speed.

this would be such an incentive to really getting started with this. As I am a long time Ubuntu Users without very profound Linux inside I still have a little respect of the compiling and stuff. On the other side I am enthusiastic about the Gentoo approach.

looking forward to hearing your comments about the above
thanks ...Bela
bobspencer123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just looking to share folder (data) then it appears you can set up a nfs client on windows as talked about here

If you want to give samba go its a little complicated to set up but not too bad. Check out the unofficial gentoo wiki entry here or google for the official (bit dated) docs.
krk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there & thanks for you comment,

bobspencer123 wrote:
If you are just looking to share folder (data) then it appears you can set up a nfs client on windows as talked about here

will check that out thanks

bobspencer123 wrote:
If you want to give samba go its a little complicated to set up but not too bad.

I don't fear it is too complicated to set it up (did that successful in an ubuntu machine already). I just read somewhere that the performance of a samba server is slow (compared to a Windows Share i.e) because it offers very much features. So I wonder if I can compile samba in way that turns off all features I don't need and so gain speed.
Anarcho
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider these settings: http://ogre.ikratko.com/archives/347

I get ~ 55 MM/s with these settings (from Gentoo-Host to Windows 2003 VM on KVM), which is not lightning fast, but it's OK.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: