Wacom Bamboo Pen - what to expect
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluenuht
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Wacom Bamboo Pen - what to expect Reply with quote

first I have got this working by following the gentoo wiki
The Wacom Bamboo Pen is the CTL 460 and not supported by the kernel supplied driver but building the linuxwacom was not a problem.

by 'working' I mean it works as a three button mouse in X and I have pressure sensitivity working for GIMP.

The CTL 460 is one of the cheapest/smallest wacoms and as such comes with almost no documentation.

I can see the pen has only two buttons and the pad has no additional buttons but should the shiny end of the pen work as an eraser ?
Random comments make me think the tilt input is not available on this model.

What other programs should support the tablet pen sensitivity ?

Has anyone with the Bamboo Pen (not the Pen&Touch) got an xorg.conf they can share ?
Linux 4.12.12-gentoo #1 SMP Mon Nov 13 22:11:31 GMT 2017 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 850 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6450 - 8G DDR3
Pay for Free Open source Software
Yggdrasil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple quick things: yes, the rounded white shiny end of the "pen" would function as the eraser, though you may need to set it up. No, the Touch, and Pen and Touch don't have tilt support as far as I know; I believe that's reserved for the Intuous and Cintiq lines.

I know that Qt-based programs were having some difficulty with regards to pressure, though that isn't supposed to be the fault of Qt, but with the bundled versions of drivers and kernels; so with some research to know you have the right versions, they should work (mainly thinking Krita here). Gtk+ based programs should work fine, as long as Gimp does.

Here is some documentation from the official wiki: *ttp://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Category:HOWTO

I have a CTH-661, but haven't had access to my Gentoo box for a very long time now, so this is about all the help I can render. I'd recommend checking the mailing lists linked from the above sourceforge site as well.
bluenuht
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replying.

My main reason for posting was the lack of pressure sensitivity in Inkscape and the plethora of input types I had in the settings box, which looked nothing like all the tutorials for setting up tablets in Inkscape. All these types 'stylus', 'eraser', 'cursor' etc have come about from copying the generic Xorg.config from various sources and I hoped to get a "Bamboo Pen" specific one.

I came across a tiny note in one of the Inkscape forums stating that for the Bamboo Pen all the devices in Inkscape should be disabled except for the 'stylus' which is odd because it has the icon of a mouse not a pen.
But I now have pressure sensitive drawing in both Inkscape and Gimp !!

I did some more investigation and the Wacom Bamboo Pen does not have eraser functionality, but then it was comparatively very cheap.

Recommend if you want to try the tablet pen experience.
Linux 4.12.12-gentoo #1 SMP Mon Nov 13 22:11:31 GMT 2017 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 850 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6450 - 8G DDR3
bluenuht
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in addition to Gimp and Inkscape, blender also works (sculpting mode)

I have built a new machine since the original post and found that the steps to get the pen working was

emerge xf86-input-wacom
rebuild kernel with
Code:
Input device support  --->
    [*]   Tablets  --->
      <M>   Wacom Intuos/Graphire tablet support (USB)

reboot with new kernel and make no other changes
did not change
make.conf
xorg.conf

did not need to add anything to the get the module to load.

gimp and inkscape needed to be set to enable "stylus" and blender worked out of the box.
no xsetwacom

all just worked, very happy :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: