Migration to OpenRC - SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Migration to OpenRC - SOLVED Reply with quote

In the news item on the new base layout and openrc, it points us to a web page:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

where is says:
Quote:

/etc/conf.d/rc

/etc/conf.d/rc has been deprecated and any settings you have in there will need to be migrated to the appropriate settings in /etc/rc.conf. Please read through /etc/rc.conf and /etc/conf.d/rc and migrate the settings. Once you are complete, delete /etc/conf.d/rc.

This would sound reasonable but for the fact that there is a ton of stuff in there -- /etc/conf.d/rc has 241 lines, and I did not put any of them in there! :(

The way the instructions above are worded, it sounds like I need to manually go over all that stuff that I did not put in /etc/conf.d/rc and decide how it should go into /etc/rc.conf; this is absurd! I think what the author meant to say was that I should move any of the stuff that I put into the first file into the second, but that's not what he said.

<gripe>

These 2 lines in the web page turn into a great deal of work, especially seeing that I have 16 machines to apply this update to (all different), and it was delivered in such a manner as to force me into applying it without giving me much time to schedule for it, or else just not do any updates at all and pray I don't get hacked because I am out of date.

I thought Linux -- and especially Gentoo -- was about *CHOICE*. This philosophy was just broken by the mandatory release of the new base layout and openrc.

</gripe>

So just what is required for this migration? I have done one system and it seems to work, but I started with a simple machine that I could afford to break. When I start updating the larger servers, downtime is not tolerated well, so I can't afford to mess up on them. Likewise, if there is a shortcut to updating these files, which would speed up getting me through this, I would like to know about it. It appeared to me when I did that one system, that I really did not need to do anything to the 2 files above, but then like I said, it was a small and simple system.

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.

Last edited by Moriah on Thu May 12, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make promises with regard to large servers that can't accept down time, but I've used your interpretation
Quote:
I think what the author meant to say was that I should move any of the stuff that I put into the first file into the second
on many occasions and it always worked just fine for me. :)
So too with the two computers I did now a few days ago.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're rant because you have a lot of work, and you've lot of work because you handle lot of servers, not because your OS get an update :)

you still have choice, you might have just forget you can mask the packages on all your servers, and unmask one by one when you need to move one server, then goes with next one.

for me the instructions just mean : move the settings "you have already change" from one file to another, well it's a good advice, so you won't have surprise with a default setting you've change times ago for a reason you can't even remember, this will just let you re-think again on them, and it's not a bad idea to re-think after many months/years about a setting to see if it still fit your needs. You'll be force to gave an eye to new default settings, and again it's a good idea to see what's new and how you should handle them.

if you have 10000000 servers, you might certainly use a general configuration for all of them, just to handle easy the task of maintaining them : so in fact, the "omg i have shit load of work" is resume to browse only 1 time a file, apply change to 1 file and propagate it to others... Looks like it's an easy task finally.

And you rant is against server reboot/downtime about an update that.... is to handle boot... even critical, because lot of changes have been done to rc system, it's just about boot services, not much a pain for a computer that have as primary work to not reboot.

Didn't get your coffee this morning ? :)
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so the general concensus is that I only have to migrate things I have changed from the original old defaults. It would be nice for the web page to state that clearly.

And yes, I have a pile of work because every box is different. There are only 16 of them; if there were hundreds, they would mostly all be the same, but the current setup was grown one box at a time when the need arose, and using frequently whatever box was available to be put into service, or if a bigger server, then bought or buillt at different times and therefore they were forced to be different.

The mess is made worse because most of the time I have to administer these machines remotely. I am at the home office for a few weeks, and I was planning to do all the stuff I do not like to -- or cannot -- do remotely. This includes physically fixing/replacing flakey drives, updating firmware in routers and other network hardware, adding a new subnet, etc. I am slowly migrating to hot swappable sata drives in raid mirrors everywhere, but some of these clunkers are still running ide drives.

Oh well, sorry for the rant, and thanks for the help! :D

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
Hell-G
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I am also in progress of migrating to new baselayout and Openrc and wondering what I have to migrate from the old /etc/conf.d/rc into the new /etc/rc.conf. I find a lot more settings in my old file than there are in the new standard file, not remembering to have added anything. Some of them, which are present in both files, have slightly changed in syntax.

So my main question is, how do I know which setting is still present in the new version and what is the exact syntax?

Is there any information about that? Or is it safe to let it to the default value, if the corresponding setting is no more present in the new file?

Thanks for your help!
titanofold
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell-G wrote:
Hi there

I am also in progress of migrating to new baselayout and Openrc and wondering what I have to migrate from the old /etc/conf.d/rc into the new /etc/rc.conf. I find a lot more settings in my old file than there are in the new standard file, not remembering to have added anything. Some of them, which are present in both files, have slightly changed in syntax.

So my main question is, how do I know which setting is still present in the new version and what is the exact syntax?

Is there any information about that? Or is it safe to let it to the default value, if the corresponding setting is no more present in the new file?

Thanks for your help!

Just read through the new rc.conf. It is much simpler and pretty well commented. If you don't know what a setting is, don't fiddle with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: