View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Opera Slow with Forums? Reply with quote

This is a bit peculiar. About two days ago, or so, opera started becoming very slow in opening pages here. I thought there was a problem with forums.

Have two machines, one with opera downloaded from their site and one with the ebuild. Same in both cases. Tried unmerging and re-emerging, but no joy.

It's just with this site--a bit of googling indicated that at times, there might be issues with opera and PHP, but nothing really specific.

On the one box that also has Mozilla, Mozilla has no problems with this site.

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something totally obvious that everyone but myself knows.

TIA

Scott
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Opera Slow with Forums? Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
scottro wrote:
This is a bit peculiar. About two days ago, or so, opera started becoming very slow in opening pages here. I thought there was a problem with forums.

I did see the same thing yesterday myself. Opera just sits there and waits forever with the text: (From memory) Trying to connect to forums.gentoo.org. This happened on my home machine connected to RoadRunner, but this machine at work does not display the same problem.
Very weired.

Erik
akhkharu99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have noticed the same thing. as well, mozilla has no problems getting on the forums, and neither does *shudder* IE.
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, are we all Roadrunner? I see that two of us are. I wonder if that's connected with this.
I'll try from work tomorrow and see if it's only from home, or from there too (which is not RoadRunner) :)

Thanks people

Scott
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottro wrote:
Hey, are we all Roadrunner? I see that two of us are. I wonder if that's connected with this.

Now that you mention it, I believe roadrunner is the problem. Roadrunner is on the AOL/TimeWarner backbone and I know that our colo provider has been having bandwidth problems with their AOL/TW peering point. (it's getting saturated)

As for why Mozilla and other browsers are loading it fine, I have no idea. If someone is using Opera and *not* on roadrunner or AOL, can you please reply here and let us know how well it is/isn't working?

At this point, I think this is a problem isolated to the forums (and perhaps Opera) so I'm going to move this to Gentoo Forums feedback. If it turns out I'm wrong, well, then I'll move it back. :)

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Earthlink DSL and generally have no problems. I emerged opera-static and I'm having very slow load times. Also, I've noticed the "Speed" monitor drop drastically. I noticed at 1.1k that it was dropping. Currently it is listed at 213 B/s and 3min 30sec+ load time and the page is still not visible (other than the top section including the Gentoo Forums logo).
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on TWCNY. I am using opera-static right now without any noticeable delays in page loads. I usually use mozilla usually though. If this problem manifests itself over a period of time, I wouldn't know.
[EDIT]Now I do. In less than a few minutes, opera became very slow loading up the forums. Looks like a cross-platform opera bug.

BTW, I noticed this behavior on a Windows box running Opera from a different machine on a different network (non-TWCNY). So, I guess it is some problem with Opera.
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, afterwards, I tried it on opera in FreeBSD. Same problem. On all boxes it's opera-static (errr, not sure about the FreeBSD box, not sure which I emerged---I think I did /usr/ports/www/linux-opera).

On other boxes, either Gentoo ebuild, or on one a download from Opera's website.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed whether this happens only with these forums, or if other subSilver phpBB boards (like the mothership) have similar problems?
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to happen at this site too.
rac wrote:
Has anyone noticed whether this happens only with these forums, or if other subSilver phpBB boards (like the mothership) have similar problems?
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, the upside of this--I'm beginning to like Mozilla.

It's better than it used to be. :)
dareynol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: Problem with images Reply with quote

I have discovered a workaround that seems to work on my laptop with opera-static installed.

I first noticed that only part of the forums logo was being displayed. I turned off image loading by clicking on the camera icon in the address bar, and the forums page finished loading.
After I cycled the option through show no images, show cached images only, and show images, it seems to be working.

Try it and see what happens.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Also, I've noticed the "Speed" monitor drop drastically. I noticed at 1.1k that it was dropping. Currently it is listed at 213 B/s and 3min 30sec+ load time and the page is still not visible (other than the top section including the Gentoo Forums logo).
I forgot about having Opera loaded... Speed 3 B/s, 3hrs 31min and counting :D

Glad I don't like Opera.
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if I turn off images, by, as suggested, clicking the camera in the address bar, the page loads without problem. However, if I cycle through as suggested, when I move around in forums, I'm having the same problem of it taking forever to load.

This is from a work machine, not going through RoadRunner.

So, I think we can safely say it's an opera problem

Scott
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming more interesting. It's almost as if the problem has gone away (tried on two other boxes from work).

Can a couple of other people following this thread give it a try and post results?

(This is on a different box--I didn't go through the suggesting of clicking the camera icon on this one, I just went straight to forums.

Sigh, I suppose I better do a bit of work now.

Scott
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh I spoke too soon--the issue still exists. However, for a few minutes there, it seemed better.
dek
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems here. And only with Opera, too.
This is now happening for like 3 days. What changes have been done to the forums in these days?
I can definitely say, that these problems only occur with the Gentoo forums. Other phpBB2 forums i tried worked just fine. The best test might be to visit http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/ ;)

BTW: I'm not using Roadrunner.
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: opera Reply with quote

i can only second most posts here... opera stoped working only in gentoo forums, mozilla works fine. other forums work fine in opera.....strange, stranger, strangest.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have posted earlier in the thread, I see the same problem with www.phbb.com (it takes a few minutes to rear its head, but it definitely happens).
dek wrote:
Same problems here. And only with Opera, too.
This is now happening for like 3 days. What changes have been done to the forums in these days?
I can definitely say, that these problems only occur with the Gentoo forums. Other phpBB2 forums i tried worked just fine. The best test might be to visit http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/ ;)

BTW: I'm not using Roadrunner.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks --

I'm posting this message from the latest gentoo version of opera-static. I've been using Opera to surf the forums for a bit now and have not been able to reproduce the problem. Things don't load as quickly as they load in Mozilla, but they do load in a reasonably fast manner. Definitely no half-pages or other oddities.

Not saying there isn't a problem, but it's certainly not an easy one to isolate. I'm willing to look into this issue further, but I'm going to need more troubleshooting information from you, such as traceroutes, etc.

In the mean time, I'll continue using Opera for as long as I can stand it. (I really dislike Opera, mainly because the key combinations are entirely different from Mozilla and IE. And no, I don't want to spend the time to configure it all. :P)

--kurt
dunbar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Posted Elsewhere Reply with quote

My Opera 6.05 (W98SE, boohoo) is making life slow, but gets done with loading after a false start: load, stall, flash, reload, defective document. Once the page finishes, I get errors at various points in the final document. Restated, the page loads and leaves the document incomplete; the point of 'death' is not repeating exactly with each reload, and sometimes (very rare) I get the whole page to load (usually missing a random graphic or three).

Somewhere, somebody mentioned that this is an Opera thing, so I'm posting this via Interknot Exposer 5.0, and here is the interesting thing: the same failing links do not fail in Interknot Exposer! The failing links stall a bit, similar to Opera, but they keep chugging without a reload and eventually get through.

Harumph: is the software optimized for IE, by some chance?? ;-) kidding.

If there is anything I can offer, please pm, I should get an email about the PM.

BTW: I do not have problems in other phpBB forums: linuxforums.org, linuxiso.org/forums, and mandrakeuser.org (http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/) all work fine for me in Opera, and always have worked fine.
I use subsilver themes in some of them as well, so I doubt that gets the whole blame for the issue.
scottro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem to be a bit sporadic--as you can see, at one point, seemed fixed, then reared its head again.

However, no problems in Mozilla.

Traceroute;

1 192.168.8.1 (192.168.8.1) 1.005 ms 0.932 ms 0.882 ms
2 192.168.95.9 (192.168.95.9) 5.290 ms 5.247 ms 5.254 ms
3 192.168.95.254 (192.168.95.254) 8.182 ms 8.186 ms 8.632 ms
4 12.44.50.121 (12.44.50.121) 8.678 ms 8.789 ms 8.611 ms
5 12.124.191.9 (12.124.191.9) 10.824 ms 10.806 ms 10.776 ms
6 gbr2-p56.n54ny.ip.att.net (12.123.192.70) 10.943 ms 10.850 ms 11.270 ms
7 tbr2-p013801.n54ny.ip.att.net (12.122.11.17) 23.976 ms 13.157 ms 13.477 ms
8 ggr1-p320.n54ny.ip.att.net (12.122.12.54) 11.111 ms 10.938 ms 14.951 ms
9 att-gw.ny.psi.net (192.205.32.42) 12.969 ms 13.213 ms 12.117 ms
10 p5-0.br01.jfk01.atlas.psi.net (154.54.1.197) 15.060 ms 11.448 ms 11.639 ms
11 p14-0.core01.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.1.21) 16.961 ms 17.286 ms 17.226 ms
12 g49.ba01.b001353-0.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.67.2) 18.619 ms 18.291 ms 19.134 ms
13 Pilosoft-3.demarc.cogentco.com (66.250.6.94) 25.650 ms 18.217 ms 36.523 ms
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Opera have HTTP 1.1 and/or keepalive configuration settings? Does twiddling with them have any effect on this issue?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottro wrote:
13 Pilosoft-3.demarc.cogentco.com (66.250.6.94) 25.650 ms 18.217 ms 36.523 ms
14 * * *
15 * * *

Just as a side note to anyone trying a traceroute -- you should all get dumped at this point -- that router is configured to drop traceroute-related ICMP packets...

So, it's not a bug, it's a feature. :)

--kurt
shakti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: images Reply with quote

something interresting, i can load the forums with images disabled, then i click on the camera to enable images and vola it loads them fine...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: