View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Firefox and Thunderbird not taking Japanese input [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm setting up a new machine, which needs to include Japanese input. I know how to set this stuff up - have done it many times. Lately I'm using ibus/Anthy.

On this new machine, Firefox and Thunderbird are not taking input from ibus. That is, although ibus seems to be set up and running correctly, it does not recognize focused text fields in these apps as being legit places to do input, and so it doesn't "activate" (not sure how to express this). I have at least one other app that I've tried that *does* activate ibus correctly, so I know the problem is not with ibus - it's with FF (4.0) and TB (3.1.9).

However I've compared my FF installation (at least) with another machine where everything is working, and I can't see where they differ.

This is particularly odd because in my experience, Firefox is the one app that will always take Japanese input right "out of the box", even when I have to struggle with the configuration of other apps to get them to do it.

I have compiled (my whole system) with USE="nls unicode cjk". Not sure if any other flags might be relevant, but these are the only ones I know of that might be.

Anyone have a clue about this? Thanks.

Last edited by Punchcutter on Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kkspeed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox and Thunderbird not taking Japanese input Reply with quote

Have you put the following lines in your .xinitrc file?

export XMODIFIERS="@im=ibus"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="ibus"
export QT_IM_MODULE="ibus"

Hope this would help.
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out the workaround to this problem. It is to set
Code:
LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8"

If you don't change any other locale-related environment variables, this seems to do the trick, without screwing up the rest of your world. It's still frustrating to me, though, that on other machines, the apps in question will take Japanese input without having to do this. I cannot figure out what the difference in configuration between these machines is. It all seems like a kind of black magic, which is not acceptable any more in the world we live in, AFAIAC. I just don't understand why the world of multilingual computing (at least in the open source world) hasn't caught up with "It Just Works(tm)" :(
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be your problem only or you've got odd locale settings - here ibus works without tweaking the locale.
bandreabis
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue, not working solution.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW - these are the messages printed when 'ibus' is installed:
Code:
 * Messages for package app-i18n/ibus-1.5.2:

* To use ibus, you should:
 * 1. Get input engines from sunrise overlay.
 *    Run "emerge -s ibus-" in your favorite terminal
 *    for a list of packages we already have.
 * 2. Setup ibus:
 *    $ ibus-setup
 * 3. Set the following in your user startup scripts
 *    such as .xinitrc, .xsession or .xprofile:
 *    export XMODIFIERS="@im=ibus"
 *    export GTK_IM_MODULE="ibus"
 *    export QT_IM_MODULE="xim"
 *    ibus-daemon -d -x

If you're using Anthy for Japanese input, you have your choice:
Code:
*  app-i18n/ibus-anthy
      Latest version available: 1.5.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 565 kB
      Homepage:      http://code.google.com/p/ibus/
      Description:   Japanese input method Anthy IMEngine for IBus Framework
      License:       GPL-2

*  app-i18n/ibus-skk
      Latest version available: 1.4.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 466 kB
      Homepage:      http://github.com/ueno/ibus-skk
      Description:   Japanese input method Anthy IMEngine for IBus Framework
      License:       GPL-2

This same topic is being discussed from a different perspective: QT Config Seeing not being saved.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see an avalanche of "linguas" use flags.... i see cn, not jp though... linguas_ja is a stab in the dark.....

linguas_ja
Japanese locale

Use flags: +startup-notification, -linguas_af, -linguas_ak, -linguas_ar, -linguas_as, -linguas_ast, -linguas_be, -linguas_bg, -linguas_bn_BD, -linguas_bn_IN, -linguas_br, -linguas_bs, -linguas_ca, -linguas_cs, -linguas_csb, -linguas_cy, -linguas_da, -linguas_de, -linguas_el, -linguas_en_GB, -linguas_en_ZA, -linguas_eo, -linguas_es_AR, -linguas_es_CL, -linguas_es_ES, -linguas_es_MX, -linguas_et, -linguas_eu, -linguas_fa, -linguas_fi, -linguas_fr, -linguas_fy_NL, -linguas_ga_IE, -linguas_gd, -linguas_gl, -linguas_gu_IN, -linguas_he, -linguas_hi_IN, -linguas_hr, -linguas_hu, -linguas_hy_AM, -linguas_id, -linguas_is, -linguas_it, -linguas_ja, -linguas_kk, -linguas_kn, -linguas_ko, -linguas_ku, -linguas_lg, -linguas_lt, -linguas_lv, -linguas_mai, -linguas_mk, -linguas_ml, -linguas_mr, -linguas_nb_NO, -linguas_nl, -linguas_nn_NO, -linguas_nso, -linguas_or, -linguas_pa_IN, -linguas_pl, -linguas_pt_BR, -linguas_pt_PT, -linguas_rm, -linguas_ro, -linguas_ru, -linguas_si, -linguas_sk, -linguas_sl, -linguas_son, -linguas_sq, -linguas_sr, -linguas_sv_SE, -linguas_ta, -linguas_ta_LK, -linguas_te, -linguas_th, -linguas_tr, -linguas_uk, -linguas_vi, -linguas_zh_CN, -linguas_zh_TW, -linguas_zu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: