Intel HD3000 Graphics Settings
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Intel HD3000 Graphics Settings Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently bought a Lenovo T520 with integrated Intel HD3000 graphics (no additional Nvidia GPU). lscpi output is as follows:

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

The graphic performance is fairly good but there are however still some quirks, as e.g. some KDE Desktop effects (3D cube etc.) are not working.

I have already played around with the settings like changing the Composite Type in KDE and enabling/disabling the various Gallium related use-flags for mesa.

However, I am not fully satisfied yet, so I wanted to ask all other users out there who have such graphics about the settings they use. In particular I am interested in the VIDEO_CARDS settings and the use-flags you have enabled/disabled for the related packages.

Thanks for your feedback....

CHL
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You normally get best results with latest unstable mesa/xf86-video-intel versions. HD3000 graphics always uses the i965 classic driver.

If you are running xf86-video-intel-2.18.0, you can enable USE="sna" which has been reported to work better than in older versions.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitively set USE="sna". There seems to be something happening when running USE="-sna".
For the desktop cube effects, try setting OpenGL instead of XRender.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
chl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers.

I am already running xf86-video-intel-2.18.0 with USE="sna" enabled. Moreover, I use mesa-8.0.1 and rendering in KDE is set to OpenGL instead of XRender.

However, my problem had completely different cause which I accidentally found out now.

In order to activate the 3D effects, it is not sufficient to enable them in the System Settings under "Configure Desktop Effects". I also had to enable them under "window behavior" and respectively "desktop behaviour".

Sometimes its hard to see see the wood for the trees.....

CHL
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: