Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 has landed! Was: E17 is coming? (Part 7)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luismw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I installed E17 a couple of days ago using the enlightenment overlay and I am really happy with it, almost everything works right out of the box, I am particularly surprised at how things that usually give problems such as hardware support (CPU throttling, battery, sound volume...) just work.

However I have two problems right now, one is big, the other not so much. The big one is that I can't seem to get automounting to work. When I insert an USB key, for instance, I see the messages of eeze_scanner that correctly identifies the key, it even says "volume added", but it doesn't get to mount it (Obviously, I have automounting enabled in the settings). If I manually mount the key, eeze then complains about not being to get a lock on /etc/mtab (presumably to add an icon to the desktop) and that's all the output I get.

I have searched around but there isn't much information available. I did find a Gentoo user with the same problem in some mailing list, but he didn't get any solution. One tip I found was to edit /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf and add /bin/mount and umount as actions. Sadly, this hasn't helped. Any suggestions on how to get automount to work or how to find the cause for this failure?

The other problem is just that some fullscreen applications (sdlmame in particular) seem to wrestle with the window manager and the screen locks up. The only workaround that works for me is to start in windowed mode and then switch to fullscreen.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luismw wrote:
Hi, I installed E17 a couple of days ago using the enlightenment overlay and I am really happy with it, almost everything works right out of the box, I am particularly surprised at how things that usually give problems such as hardware support (CPU throttling, battery, sound volume...) just work.

Welcome to the world of stable svn software. ;)
Quote:
However I have two problems right now, one is big, the other not so much. The big one is that I can't seem to get automounting to work. When I insert an USB key, for instance, I see the messages of eeze_scanner that correctly identifies the key, it even says "volume added", but it doesn't get to mount it (Obviously, I have automounting enabled in the settings). If I manually mount the key, eeze then complains about not being to get a lock on /etc/mtab (presumably to add an icon to the desktop) and that's all the output I get.

I have searched around but there isn't much information available. I did find a Gentoo user with the same problem in some mailing list, but he didn't get any solution. One tip I found was to edit /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf and add /bin/mount and umount as actions. Sadly, this hasn't helped. Any suggestions on how to get automount to work or how to find the cause for this failure?
Try following up with discomfitor at the enlightenment-devel list. https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mailing-enlightenment-devel/5kAliK6GlrU/discussion
Quote:
The other problem is just that some fullscreen applications (sdlmame in particular) seem to wrestle with the window manager and the screen locks up. The only workaround that works for me is to start in windowed mode and then switch to fullscreen.
I haven't been able to follow up with discomfitor mainly due to lack of time. :(
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Seems like sdlmame might be at fault here. Again, try posting at enlightenment-users https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/mailing-enlightenment-users
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luismw wrote:

Quote:
However I have two problems right now, one is big, the other not so much. The big one is that I can't seem to get automounting to work.

I got around this by installing:

[I] sys-apps/uevt
Available versions: (~)2.2 (~)2.3
Installed versions: 2.3(06:49:15 AM 09/09/2011)
Homepage: http://elentir.sleipnir.fr/ http://git.sleipnir.fr/uevt/
Description: A lightweight, desktop-independant daemon for disks mounting and power managing

Just add it to your autostart programs and you will (should) see your USB HD/Sticks show up under /media in your favorite file manager.
engil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i have updated my install of e17 a few days ago, and i started over with a new, clean profile.

As a result, i have real transparency and everything is nice and worgink good, but i have a small problem.. When the focus pass from a window to another, there's this cute little animation and the window with the focus "bounce" for a second .... :?

This annoys me much, and i can't seem to find the setting .. please help :D
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engil wrote:
Hi, i have updated my install of e17 a few days ago, and i started over with a new, clean profile.

As a result, i have real transparency and everything is nice and worgink good, but i have a small problem.. When the focus pass from a window to another, there's this cute little animation and the window with the focus "bounce" for a second .... :?

This annoys me much, and i can't seem to find the setting .. please help :D
Settings -> Look -> Composite -> Effects -> Styles (Change it to any non-wobbly one).
engil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, thanks a lot ! It was just here and i didn't saw that ...

Anyway, this is very encouraging, as the svn is pretty stable and clean !
geloo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: elsa 0.0.4 Reply with quote

hi everybody,

after update my e17 repo from 52***/something/ to the repo from 24.9. i have found that elsa-login manager was updated. I have tried to compile elsa but gnu-make stopped me everytime that something with libs is wrong. As tclover said:
tclover wrote:

And of course, if somebody manage to compile elsa, do not hesitate to post something.
NOTE: I did not manage to compile because gcc complains about an implicit variable declaration (_elsa_gui_cont_fill), then complain about being defined but not used, and then fail to compile (elsa_gui.c) a few line later because, justly, that variable get used/referenced. I couldn't guess why it fails.

This problem solved by recompile emotion, ethumb, elementary packages in this order. Then elsa installed fine.
But next one problem completly confused me. There is a new theme, and new login interface /in elsa/.

So, i am able to select user, but cannot type password to the pass field. Can somebody tell me what wrong there?
The letters doesnt show and when i type my pass and press enter, nothing happens for me. Also /var/log/elsa.log have no error messages.

And if someone also help me with the next few questions, i will be really appreciate::)
- How to change elsa them from the /etc/elsa.conf file?
- When i am updated whole e17 core to the new version, i get double menu options name in e17 settings, for example, Performance is thwise, themes is twice, wallpapers is twice... actualy every fields is twice :) How can i fix it please ?

Very thank you for any help
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: elsa 0.0.4 Reply with quote

Hi, actually I forget to post something for elsa because as geloo is saying, elementary have to be updated before elsa, at least this what I did to solve it after opening a bug for that!
geloo wrote:
So, i am able to select user, but cannot type password to the pass field. Can somebody tell me what wrong there?
The letters doesnt show and when i type my pass and press enter, nothing happens for me. Also /var/log/elsa.log have no error messages.

It happens that I have exactly the same issue since... the first time I merged elsa, mine seems to be related to running a hal free system (see topic 858965). I cannot confirm it yet because I still had to update nvidia-driver (from 275.09.07 to 275.28) and then xorg-server (from 1.9.5 to 1.11) to see if it helps. I am not certain either if it's the hal free transition that brought up that issue (see my post on that thread). So if you're running a hal free system, you may checkout that topic, just go to the last page.
geloo wrote:
- How to change elsa them from the /etc/elsa.conf file?

Normally, ability to switch theme have been introduced but I don't know if you have to go Settings->Theme->Advanced to associate a new theme to the entrance or something else because I have yet to update e17 (still running 0.16.999.63274). I'm a little reluctant to update with that eeze update which will populate the desktop with drive icons. I thought enlightenment team wanted to preserve a clean desktop and avoid that a la gnome annoyance, well things have changed then. I wish the pulse module (?) won't be mandatory when finished and merged to e17. This was one of my primary worry of gnome-3.0 and stepped out!

NOTE: I have automount of removable media with udisk since the step to hal free system. So I was perfectly fine with the lack of eeze automount but now come the icons annoyance!
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeze, hal, pulse, the filemanager (desktop icons can be turned off in filemanager configuration) are all optional in e. Just remove the modules if you don't use them.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: no functional/active at X login usb mouse/keyboard solved Reply with quote

Quote:
Issue solved with one or two option for mouse/keyboard (see topic 896532) hopefully for me because there's no go for 275.28, that thing is unstable or opengl USE flag shall be unset for gnome users.

Now elsa is not that functional for me, I can hardly read anything. Moding the theme should make it usable. Give me a break! I've just fixed the keyboard/mouse issue along with libpng-1.5.5 breaker. I had previously managed to update to libpng-1.5.4 without losing too much time. So I wasn't expecting a system break with 1.5.5, darn, at least now it's done.

EDIT: That won't be necessary since elsa, along with slim, just cannot handle special characters whatsoever the keyboard layout setting. Will see if it's fixable or... just leave gdm around.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little Q&A with raster: http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/10/q-with-enlightenment-lead-developer.html
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a 2007 e17 from cvs/svn for ages but am trying out the latest (release tars from their site, e 0.16.999.65643) and see that enlightenment_remote has lost most of the old options like -default-bg-get. --help-new says there's still an "enlightement_remote_old" but all I can find in src dir is that help msg text, nothing that would get compiled.

so does anyone know how I can effectively get -default-bg-get from a shell script? --help-new mentions an alternate method, qdbus, but that's a qt-based bin? I have no kde/qt stuff. presumably I could just use a dbus cmd to get desktop bg but I don't know how to do that :) I only have the standard dbus gentoo pkgs and playing w/their cmds I'm not really getting anywhere.

that's the main thing but a couple others anyone using new(er) e17 might know:

* I'm using AS-faces theme I got from exchange which afaict is up-to-date but frequently when I open a window the titlebar is ~1/2 the height it's supposed to be. everything's still there, it's just 'compressed' vertically - anyone know what in the edc file controls that or is being misinterpreted so I can fix it? restarting e all existing titlebars become correct and the default e17 theme doesn't do this so it must be something in AS-faces

* in the same theme when I load dropshadow module, it's not permanent. if I load it it works fine and appears under "composite" in settings dialog; if I restart e (or reboot) it's gone and I have to keep adding it back. default e17 theme doesn't have this problem either.

thanks.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your theme is not really up to date. Try to switch the malfunctioning parts to other themes via the advanced portion of the theme dialog.

Some good themes are present in svn trunk/THEMES (detourious, efenniht, darkness).
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Anyone having problems with memory leak in e?
http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg38893.html

I am having unresponsiveness problems in my system, and I am trying to find who to blame :P
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone having problems with memory leak in e?
http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg38893.html

I am having unresponsiveness problems in my system, and I am trying to find who to blame :P
This already got fixed a while ago. I also saw the memory leak but I don't see it anymore since about 10 days.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
This already got fixed a while ago. I also saw the memory leak but I don't see it anymore since about 10 days.[/quote]
Updating now just to make sure. Meanwhile, what is this thing about ememoa & others mempool for eina? Is any of these considered better than pass-through?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
Updating now just to make sure. Meanwhile, what is this thing about ememoa & others mempool for eina? Is any of these considered better than pass-through?
I don't know. The e17 devs' opinion is: don't mess with those variables. The default configure script picks up the best settings for you automatically (as does the default ebuilds).
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Holysword wrote:
I don't know. The e17 devs' opinion is: don't mess with those variables. The default configure script picks up the best settings for you automatically (as does the default ebuilds).

Okay, not messing with them.

Yes, the memory leak apparentely was e17 fault ( or at least a good percentage of it ). After the update I haven't had any (significative) slowdown.
FieserKiller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back in e17 land for two weeks now since compiz is dying and like it so far. What i do not like, are that -9999 ebuilds.
How do i know if e17 is updateworthly? eading svn commits to decide is not that fun. Is there any webpage with new about e17 development? r

What is the common update strategy? simple updating once a week or so? does the config break often by updates? or is anywhere an overlay with sane and tested snapshots which would update from time to time?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FieserKiller wrote:
I'm back in e17 land for two weeks now since compiz is dying and like it so far. What i do not like, are that -9999 ebuilds.
How do i know if e17 is updateworthly? eading svn commits to decide is not that fun. Is there any webpage with new about e17 development? r

What is the common update strategy? simple updating once a week or so? does the config break often by updates? or is anywhere an overlay with sane and tested snapshots which would update from time to time?
The common update policy, at least for me, is to update once a week. You may update even less frequently, say once a month.

This perception that pulling from svn is inherently unstable does not carry over to e17. e17 svn, in my own experience, is often more stable than release versions of the major DEs or software. There are certain times, like this week, when the svn tends to be a bit unstable. This happens when everyone is trying to push their own changes asap because of (for instance for this week) an impending API freeze. If something is broken and does not compile, this state usually doesn't last more than a couple of hours.

I have used git/svn versions of some other software and have realized that almost none of them, except gmusicbrowser and e17, have some iota of stability. In many cases the git/svn checkouts don't even compile, let alone have run-time crashes.
botdotcom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! is e17 built on gtk?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

botdotcom wrote:
Hi there! is e17 built on gtk?
It's built on EFL.
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the default in:

Settings -> Look -> Composite -> Effects -> Styles

All windows are wobbling and windows without focus are transparent.

Is it possible to have some applications stay non-transparent even if they loose focus. This would be very nice for movie players (e.g. xine, vlc, mplayer)? Or do I have to switch off transparency altogether?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yminus wrote:
I chose the default in:

Settings -> Look -> Composite -> Effects -> Styles

All windows are wobbling and windows without focus are transparent.

Is it possible to have some applications stay non-transparent even if they loose focus. This would be very nice for movie players (e.g. xine, vlc, mplayer)? Or do I have to switch off transparency altogether?
Choose some other style which is different from default. Then you won't have those transparency problems.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lua-5.2.0 breaks current edje master
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: