11%  [ 4 ]
other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 35

Garbanzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: CFLAGS Optimazation Level Reply with quote

What CFLAGS optimization level do you use in make.conf?

Me? Against better wisdom, I've been using O3 for months now and so far haven't seen any trouble.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame -O3 makes no noticeable difference, and in some cases could even make code both slower and bigger. About all it's good for is exposing potential bugs in code which lead to zealous use of strip/replace-flags() so gentoo users throwing it in there don't run into issues too often.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-O9 of course, and don't forget to turn on the secret undocumented -omg-optimized optimization. And -fuck-upstream can work wonders, too.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
-O9 of course, and don't forget to turn on the secret undocumented -omg-optimized optimization. And -fuck-upstream can work wonders, too.
Forget everything I've said, I'm converted. Going to rebuild @world 8)
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CFLAGS Optimazation Level Reply with quote

Garbanzo wrote:
What CFLAGS optimization level do you use in make.conf?
Me? Against better wisdom, I've been using O3 for months now and so far haven't seen any trouble.

I've stuck with 02 ever since doing extensive benchmarking nearly 20 years ago on CFD related code - 03 consistently made things run much more slowly and made the executables significantly larger.

Obviously it'd be extrapolating too much to say that it always does that with all code, 20 years later - but 02 works fine, so I'll stick with it.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization says:
Quote:
-O3: the highest level of optimization possible. It enables optimizations that are expensive in terms of compile time and memory usage. Compiling with -O3 is not a guaranteed way to improve performance, and in fact, in many cases, can slow down a system due to larger binaries and increased memory usage. -O3 is also known to break several packages. Using -O3 is not recommended. However, it also enables -ftree-vectorize so that loops in the code get vectorized and will use AVX YMM registers.
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
+1
ff11
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put some benchmark here, with the gcc9: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gcc9-core9-tuning

EDIT:
By the way, I feel like this too.
| Proverbs 26:12 |
| There is more hope for a fool than for a wise man that are wise in his own eyes. |
* AlphaGo - The Movie - Full Documentary "I want to apologize for being so powerless" - Lee
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-ftree-vectorize
Perform vectorization on trees. This flag enables -ftree-loop-vectorize and -ftree-slp-vectorize if not explicitly specified.

I mean whether it is excessive to write -ftree-slp-vectorize if -ftree-vectorize is defined of Phoronix is right defining -ftree-slp-vectorize along with -ftree-vectorize.
Garbanzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. There is definitely contradictory information out there regarding O2 vs O3, Most benchmarks seem to show O3 is marginally faster. I wanted to see for myself so on a GCC upgrade I flipped it to O3 to see what would happen - expecting to flip it back after it went down in flames. However it was anti-climatic - nothing at all happened, no noticeable difference in performance, stability, or build times. So I just never bothered to change it back.

What do you think the long term trend is? To me it seems that GCC is getting better about having fewer O3 cases that are slower than O2.
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use -O2, -ftree-vectorize & -flto. Afaik, lots of builds tend to be broken with -O3 & -flto.

Last edited by Perfect Gentleman on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-ftree-vectorize -ftree-slp-vectorizes should be enabled at -O2 soon in gcc

-O3 sometimes produces slower programs it is not worth.

I still use, as always, -O2 -ftree-vectorize -ftree-slp-vectorize -march=native + some graphite, no problems at all, with the performance boost php IS noticeable

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
-ftree-vectorize -ftree-slp-vectorizes should be enabled at -O2 soon in gcc
Soon is likely a while still, the idea was thrown around a bit over a year ago but upcoming gcc 10.0.1 doesn't enable it and I doubt it'll be flipped in minor versions so it'll likely wait until gcc 11+ (if ever), but don't quote me on that.

As others pointed, specifying slp isn't necessary since tree-vec is a shortcut to enable loop+slp, or at least for gcc 9+ (just check if in doubt)
Code:
$ gcc-9.3.0 -ftree-vectorize -Q --help=optimize | grep vectorize
  -ftree-loop-vectorize             [enabled]
  -ftree-slp-vectorize              [enabled]

$ gcc-10.0.1pre -O2 -Q --help=optimize | grep vectorize
  -ftree-loop-vectorize             [disabled]
  -ftree-slp-vectorize              [disabled]

Edit: gcc 10 does bring us -fno-common by default though, just look at this wall of fun
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
erm67 wrote:

As others pointed, specifying slp isn't necessary since tree-vec is a shortcut to enable loop+slp, or at least for gcc 9+ (just check if in doubt)[code]$ gcc-9.3.0 -ftree-vectorize -Q --help=optimize | grep vectorize

Quote:
Basic block vectorization, aka SLP, is enabled by the flag -ftree-slp-vectorize, and requires the same platform dependent flags as loop vectorization. Basic block SLP is enabled by default at -O3 and when -ftree-vectorize is enabled.

That also what the doc say, I enabled it a long time ago, it doesn't hurt anyway.

I have no time to switch to gcc10 now :-) better wait until fedora32 (with gcc10) is mature, by then most problems will be fixed (not only by redhat of course) ;-)

podman is a lot more interesting for the moment.

krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
I have no time to switch to gcc10 now :-) better wait until fedora32 (with gcc10) is mature, by then most problems will be fixed (not only by redhat of course) ;-)

I would never wait for any fix on gcc coming from fedora or redhat, you have forgotten their insane 2.96 version? :D
edit: add a link for the story (yeah some are not enough old to know it maybe) https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
erm67 wrote:

I would never wait for any fix on gcc coming from fedora or redhat, you have forgotten their insane 2.96 version? :D
edit: add a link for the story (yeah some are not enough old to know it maybe) https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

Well actually I wait for the mass rebuild with gcc10 once the beta is stable, at least I hope it is scheduled also for fedora32, it is their emerge -e world ;-). Usually it happens a lot earlier than when an effortless emerge -e world works so I can bump what is needed or import some patches.
Recently after lots of complaint also rpmfusion ports to the new compiler already at the beta stage.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: