Intellimouse Explorer simplified
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transitbus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Intellimouse Explorer simplified Reply with quote

After reading the multitude of posts on how to get the scroll wheel and side buttons working, I spent some time tweaking things to get mine working. Here is my tip that is a simplified way to do it. I know some things may be over kill but it works everytime for me and as such I don't mind :wink:

I use a Wireless Intellimouse Explorer with the USB connection, if you use the PS/2 plug adapter change the Device in XF86Config

Step One) Edit XF86Config under InputDevice add and/or edit so that this reads:

Quote:
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

Step Two) Install or in Gentoo's case emerge imwheel

Step Three) Add into /etc/X11 a file and name it Xmodmap and edit so it has only

Quote:
pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5

Step Four) Make a back up of imwheelrc in /etc/X11 and edit it so it has only

Quote:
"(null)"
None, Thumb1, Alt_L|Left,1
None, Thumb2, Alt_L|Right,1

"^Mozilla.*"

".*"

Using Thumb1 and Thumb2 here is key!

also make a copy of it into your home directory and make sure to make it hidden ( ~/.imwheelrc)

Step Five) Make a shell script and place into it:

Code:
#! /bin/sh
imwheel -p -k -b "000067" &

then in your autostart (For Gnome - Applictaions: Desktop Preferences: Advanced: Sessions, Startup Programs), point to the shell script you just made (make sure to chmod the script properly)

That's it it should work. If all goes well when you run xmodmap -pp you will get the correct pointers and when you open Mozilla you will be able to use the side buttons for back and forward
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for typing this out...I'll work on this tonight.

In the majority of any Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative Debates on TV, pay close attention to how much MORE often the Liberal/Democrat butts in and rudely talks 'over' the Conservative/Republican.

Think about it...
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This howto nearly got my intellimouse working.

I did everything it said.

It worked better then all the other howtos i've tried, in that it didn't mess up all the other buttons, scroll, rigfht and left.

However the thumb button 1 and 2 now does PageUp instead of AltLeft, anyone know how to make it do AltLeft?

I'm using Mozilla Firebird.
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's gotta be a better way to do the startup programs.. I could have sworn that back in the day there was a line you could add in to some file that starts some programs with X, which is here I put numlockx (back in the day). I can't remember where it was now, or if it's even the same way (way old version of X?).

Come on, someone can give it to me. I wish I could friggin' remember it!
MooktaKiNG
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start X using the startx command then you would create/edit file ~/.xinitrc, if your using a desktop manager like gdm or kdm then its a bit more complicated.

I use gdm. I always have a script called ~/StartUp.sh

I then add a line like:

~/StartUp.sh &

to file in /etc/X11/Session/openbox

Basicly in the direcory /etc/X11/Session there are a file for each entry in gdm, eg: kde, fluxbox, etc etc

All you do is add ~/StartUp.sh & at the start of the file. Thats it.

I think kdm also uses this, but i never bothered to find out. I like the way gdm looks :):)

By the way, openbox is just an example.
Also you can create your own entry in gdm by creating a new file in /etc/X11/Session and running whatever programs and window managers you like.
wolvenwraith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooktaKiNG wrote:
If you start X using the startx command then you would create/edit file ~/.xinitrc, if your using a desktop manager like gdm or kdm then its a bit more complicated.

I use gdm. I always have a script called ~/StartUp.sh

I then add a line like:

~/StartUp.sh &

to file in /etc/X11/Session/openbox

Basicly in the direcory /etc/X11/Session there are a file for each entry in gdm, eg: kde, fluxbox, etc etc

All you do is add ~/StartUp.sh & at the start of the file. Thats it.

I think kdm also uses this, but i never bothered to find out. I like the way gdm looks :):)

By the way, openbox is just an example.
Also you can create your own entry in gdm by creating a new file in /etc/X11/Session and running whatever programs and window managers you like.

Well I found what I was looking for, and here it is straight from the documentation. This resolves the problem I was having, now I don't have to set anything in startup for each of my desktops (I have about 15 installed between gnome, kde, fluxbox, openbox, xfce, you get the picture). This will only work for GDM though, and here's the trick, straight from the GDM web page.

Quote:

When the X server has been successfully started, GDM will try to run the script called Init/<displayname>. I.e. Init/:0 for the first local display. If this file is not found, GDM will attempt to to run Init/<hostname>. I.e. Init/somehost. If this still is not found, GDM will try Init/XDMCP for all XDMCP logins or Init/Flexi for all on demand flexible servers. If none of the above were found, GDM will run Init/Default. The script will be run as root and GDM blocks until it terminates. Use the Init/* script for programs that are supposed to run alongside with the GDM login window. xconsole for instance. Commands to set the background etc. goes in this file too.

So, you install imwheel (as well as put the .imwheelrc in the root directory). Then you make the startup script like the previous poster suggested. Then you put that script in the /etc/X11/gdm/Init/ directory named either :0 or your hostname. I just used banshee which was my hostname.

The only downside to this method is that it does have to run as root, but I think I trust imwheel with that (on this non-mission-critical machine of mine).
wo0zy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Intellimouse Explorer simplified Reply with quote

is this working with the explorer 3 and the 2.4.20 kernel?
Daredevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooktaKiNG wrote:
This howto nearly got my intellimouse working.

I did everything it said.

It worked better then all the other howtos i've tried, in that it didn't mess up all the other buttons, scroll, rigfht and left.

However the thumb button 1 and 2 now does PageUp instead of AltLeft, anyone know how to make it do AltLeft?

I'm using Mozilla Firebird.

Had this exact probelm last week when I upgraded Firebird. Try putting "-gtk -gtk2" into your USE flags and re-emerge. That's what fixed it for me
Assbear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on intellimouse explorer 4 the scrollwheel responds on button 4 and 5 thumbbuttons on 6 7
wo0zy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assbear wrote:
on intellimouse explorer 4 the scrollwheel responds on button 4 and 5 thumbbuttons on 6 7

on my explorer 3 too
xerxes2695
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Works but..... Reply with quote

Works for me, but I did my script like this:

#! /bin/sh
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

placed in the ~/.kde/Autostart directory
then assigned - chmod 755 <ScriptName>

xmodmap never worked right with it's configuration file, so this just assignes the values directly. imwheel may need some gnome libraries or something, because it was funky on my old installation.
raday
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched on google and found the following information on getting the Thumb buttons working in gtk2 apps.

essentially you have to change the line:

to
imwheel -p -k -b "000067" -f &

and then restart X

it worked for me in mozilla compiled with Gtk2

Note:
I found the info for this on the following site:
http://linux.netpimpz.com/mx700/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: